Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Volkl Mantra - What length?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm looking to get a pair of Mantra's this season, but cant decide what length to go for.

I'm 6 foot, but only weigh 73kg. Should I look at 177s (the length of all my previous skis) or head up top 184? I am fit & experienced, but I though the 184 may just be a bit hard going when I'm not going 100mph!

Any advice welcomed!

Cheers in advance,

Nick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Long skis truck short skis suck!

Seeing as the Mantra seems to be best suited for big fast gs turns and smashing trhough stuff, you may as well go longer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What's next up from 184?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, 191
I've got 191's, am 6 foot and weigh ~86Kg. Never looked back Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nick99, I'm not entirely sure what the additional length gets you, other than making the skis harder to turn, less manoeuvrable, etc.??
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, A lot more stability at high speed. Avoids the tips bouncing around at mach 3 Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Nick99, I'm not entirely sure what the additional length gets you, other than making the skis harder to turn, less manoeuvrable, etc.??
Like Scarpa says, more stability at speed, especially in crud ( which is where the Mantras really kick ass ), and more float in the powder. It doesn't really make them any harder to turn, just maybe gives you longer radius turns that's all.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scarpa, "A lot more stability at high speed"

Really? I am unconvinced.

177 to 184 won't make any difference in stability, won't make them better in crud, won't noticeably affect float in powder, it will lengthen the turn radius and make them harder work.

If you want more stability at speed you want less sidecut. Longer skis aren't (necessarily) any more stable at speed. I'll race you on my 165 SLs if you like.

Tip chatter is more a component of poor technique than anything to do with the skis. NehNeh NehNeh
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
under a new name, I guess we have to bow to your superior knowledge.
I'm super happy with my 191s though, and funnily enough I do manage to get down just about anything on them without finding them unduly strenuous, but what do I know?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang, good for you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name wrote:
Scarpa, "A lot more stability at high speed"

Really? I am unconvinced.

177 to 184 won't make any difference in stability, won't make them better in crud, won't noticeably affect float in powder, it will lengthen the turn radius and make them harder work.

If you want more stability at speed you want less sidecut. Longer skis aren't (necessarily) any more stable at speed. I'll race you on my 165 SLs if you like.

Tip chatter is more a component of poor technique than anything to do with the skis. NehNeh NehNeh

I would suggest the 184cm for you Nick99!

The 184cm will have great floatation in the deeper snow and won't make too much of a difference on piste. Your contact length will of course be longer in the 184cm than in the 177cm. But we are not talking very much.

For any ski of this nature i would suggest approx head height in length. You will be able to use the skis to their desired manufactured capability. The short ones are for shorter people.

Tip chatter is kept down to a minimum anyway when you have a core construction of wood laminate and 2 or 3 titanium sheets. But Foam Core Skis chatter more than wood due to their physical propertys during vibration

Hope this has helped Nick99
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Nick99, I am 94/ 96kg 5ft 10inst, 184cm Mantras great, never had chatter - as solid as a rock even at speed on piste and bash crud for fun, I'd say go with the 184's, 191's may be too cumbersome. Also advise a Duke binding rather than a racing type, been on this config for 3 years, now just got Dukes and raring to go for new season...........getting giddy! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At 73 kg you might be too light for the Mantra, have you tried them and tested them against other skis?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, +1, give them a go, even if you rent them in resort..........definitely need driving to get the best from them
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Only worth getting Dukes if you want to do some touring and are prepared to get the skins etc. For general skiing standard bindings will be as good as, if not better than the Dukes, and considerably cheaper too. Currently got some Salomon 920s on my Mantras and considering swapping over Dukes just because I may want to tour with them, but touring isn't that common. Not seen the OP ski but at 73kgs 177s may be a bit more manageable in the tights, technicals, moguls and in the trees whereas 184s would probably truck more in wide open spaces. Depends what the OP skis more of.
snow conditions
DB, quite right. Skis don't know how tall you are...
snow report
Markymark29, That's what I found when I tested them against the Navis and Enforcers. I'm 74kg and just couldn't get on with them yet the other two skis were love at first ride.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy