Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Burton M Series Asymmetric - is it stance specific?

subflux
subflux
Hi,

I keep seeing a Burton M series 6 Asymmetric board for sale, and I'm gagging to buy a decent second hand board and bindings - so a quick google about this board led be to believe that the board is stance specific - i.e. the one on the post below is for goofy stanced riders, as one of it's edges is longer than the other.

http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23540

Now - I have only been on a snowboard 3 times in my life, and don't Ski, but my thoughts were that if you are carving down a slope then _both_ edges would get used - one when going left to right and one when going right to left (looking down the slope) - so why should the board be stance specific? Presumably you can put the bindings on the board either way round?

Thanks!

Kenny
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
subflux, I have an asymetric board, and it is definitely stance-specific. Because the feet are not parallel to the edges, applying pressure to the toe-side applies to a diffent point than the heel side - so the asymetric board takes this into account. Effectively the side-cut shape is moved towards the nose on the front-side compared with the back-side

Hope that makes sense
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Kenny,

I'm going to stick my neck out a bit here and tell you not to buy that board. It must be coming on for 20 years old. (The PJ stands for Peter / Jean - Peter Bauer and Jean Nerva were two of the original Burton pro-snowboarders, back in the day when slalom snowboarding was as big as freestyle).

If you've only ridden a snowboard 3 times, then this probably isn't the right kind of board either. The PJ series was a hard carving/race specific board - you'll see fewer than 1% of snowboarders on the mountain using this kind of setup these days (in fact, you'll be lucky to see any at all!). While I've got no objection to hard-boot snowboarding - I've dabbled in it myself - you can carve very, very well indeed on a good soft-boot setup and have much more versatility for other kinds of riding - off-piste/powder as much as park/tricks.

If you're a newbie looking for your first setup (on the basis of only having ridden a few times) then definitely don't get this board, go for a "normal" soft-boot setup. If you want to aim your riding at more of a hardpack/carving style, then just get board/boot/bindings which are towards the stiffer end of the spectrum. For learning on, you want a soft-medium flex setup.

Sorry if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here!

Cheers,

Stevo

PS. The asymetric boards were definitely stance specific. They were highly directional (i.e. you couldn't ride them backwards) so turning the bindings round would reverse the asymettry and cause all kinds of weirdness. They have largely been dismissed as a flawed experiment, with improvements in riding technique negating the need for the different geometry, although there do seem to be one or two of them making a come-back.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevomcd has it on the nose. Bizarre board to want for someone with 3 days experience unless you're some kind of Austrian eurocarver fetishist.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy