Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow covered hills in SW London, NE Surrey ???

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone managed to get some turns in anwhere in SW London, NE Surrey area in the last day or two ?

I'm in Walton and it's pretty flat and we've not had that much snow but I'm desperate to head out at the weekend and find a snow covered hill (not a fridge).

Anyone been able to find sufficient snow to get some runs in ?
Box Hill, Richmond Park, Epsom Downs, or similar ???

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The intrepid Nadenoodle made it to the resort of St Reatham and the linked ski hill of Norwood Grove Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My son and I had a lovely walk in the snow at the foot of boxhill yesterday. Sadly we don't own skis so have had to make do with sledging. Snow very deep in places.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm planning some tele steeze at Box Hill tomorrow if anyone fancies a mini-summit? Apres burger at Rykers or a pint in the hotel at the bottom.

Can offer a pick up from Redhill or Dorking station if trains running.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy wrote:
The intrepid Nadenoodle made it to the resort of St Reatham and the linked ski hill of Norwood Grove Toofy Grin

Haha That's excellent.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks snowymum,

Did the A24 (dual carriageway) seem to running ok and was the the Rykers car park accesible-ish ?

fatbob, I might try and head down tomorrow am if I can fit time in between the 3 yr olds swmming lessons first thing then we've got tickets for the Painshill Park Grotto just after lunch, so it might be a bit tight & may have plum for sunday isntead unless the end-of-season-thaw has settled in by then Toofy Grin

I'm a one-planker though, so whilst I can't join tele-steeze action, I might see you there Happy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gazzzza
A24 is ok in Dorking. No idea about Rykers car park (not somewhere I ever go having a phobia of noisy motorcyclists Toofy Grin ). Most car parks are covered in snow but it is starting to thaw now.

I live near the resort so didn't drive/park.

There is a new National trust mountain restaurant at the top (I think), the watermill pub on the A25 with views of the piste (quite nice and looking festive at the moment) or the burford bridge at the bottom of the tree lined run.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Who posted a video last year of boarding down Box Hill with doggy running alongside? Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can offer a trip report on Carshalton as follows...

Lift system ageing, and easily tired out...

Piste maps somewhat confusing

(note Snowheads branding on Breadcrate1)

Snowshoeing guide was poorly equipped for conditions (no ave transmitters, no shovels, probes) rolling eyes

However piste conditions excellent overall
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sideways_Jnr, Laughing Laughing welcome to snowHeads wink snowHead

cathy wrote:
Who posted a video last year of boarding down Box Hill with doggy running alongside?

Ah, it was norris snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sideways_Jnr, welcome to snowHeads snowHead Quality 1st post snowHead wink

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Fri 3-12-10 15:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob, would've been up for this (not with silly flappy heels mind) but I am busy all day tomorrow Sad
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There are a few of them heading out on to Leith Hill this afternoon, We will report back later snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I managed a few runs on Boxhill yesterday. No problem parking at Rykas. I walked up from the road and managed four runs back down from the top before getting too knackered to slog up again. Conditions were fantastic, pisted (by sledges) in the middle and proper powder off to the left. Saw quite a few boarders and a few jumps but only a couple of others on skis.
It's pretty cold here in Dorking today but rain is forecast for tonight so today may be the last chance.
Nells, I'll be interested to hear your report on Leith Hill, with enough snow the tree skiing could be great there.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Anyone else managed to ski in North London? I skied down Parliament Hill (Hampstead Heath) yesterday and managed to keep going all the way down to the road. (I live only about 100 yards from there.) No photos I'm afraid (I just missed the TV cameras that had been up there - otherwise I might have been on the news!).
I walked on the Heath today accross to Kenwood House and back and took some photos: it was looking very beautiful. Two langlaufers were sliding along, plus there are always some tobogganers on the hill.
If it hasn't melted at all tomorrow I might ask my wife to drop me at Kenwood tomorrow with my skis and try skating and skiing along the broad, beaten paths back along the ridge to Parliament Hill and then down to the bottom again. It would be very good exercise at the least. It is still freezing here so I'm hoping we don't get that rain you mention, philipb.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 3-12-10 16:34; edited 5 times in total
latest report
here are a few pics from yesterday on Boxhill (hope it works, first time I've tried to post pics)

[img]http://www.snowmediazone.com/the_zone/snowheads-personal-galleries/p22254-rykas-base-station.html[/img]

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 3-12-10 16:09; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Nice ones philipb, I've put the actual images up:

Rykas - base station

Top of the run

Rykas couloir

Bottom of the last run
snow report
cathy, many thanks, means I can stop messing about and get on with some work! I think I better do a bit of work on how to post pics before I try again.
ski holidays
philipb, click on icon at end of url under the pic. (this url gives thumbs).
This gives you 3 more: copy the middle one (starting [img]) to get big image.
snow conditions
For a further challenge I believe the best steeps are around the Betchworth and Reigate faces of Reigate hill. However due to landslip propensity they also probably carry higher avy risk.
ski holidays
OK philipb, given the bit of rain forecast for after midnight I decided to do Kenwood House carpark to Gospel Oak station on skis this evening. Just got back: great fun but I'm soooo unfit. Poled + walked most of the slightly uphill bits - just skated the flats. Plenty of downhill since i started at the highest place on the Heath and ended at the lowest. Broad paths with nice firm surface. Almost dark so almost nobody around till the top of Parliament Hill where there were loads of after-school tobogganers.

Well, this starts my ski training in ernest, I think.
latest report
Skiing on Leith Hill today

Ski Club of Coldharbour

As ever, WTFH tried to tell the instructor where to go...

Tree skiing

It's important to have a snifter to keep the cold at bay

Time for Apres

More snow forecast for tonight snowHead - I might even take my skis tomorrow.
latest report
fantastic, thanks for the pics. I bet the Plough were surprised to see a couple of skiers, more used to muddy mtb'rs.
ski holidays
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo
Dreaded rain overnight. Pretty much all melted in Walton, just patches left.

Whats it like down Dorking way now ?
I'm wondering the rain has already scuppered Boxhill ?

PS. Nice one philipb and Nells for the pics.
ski holidays
A lot of the snow in dorking has melted overnight. It rained a lot in the night. Now foggy and snow thawing fast.

There is still snow in our garden but I'm not sure what it would be like on boxhill as if there are lots of tracks it may have worn down to grassy patches by now.

All rather disappointing. Sad
snow conditions
Gutted.

Thanks snowymum for the update. Saves me a wasted journey.

Can't beleive I've battled in to work all week and finally the weekend comes and the snow goes. C'est la vie.

Maybe next time.
latest report
TR: Arrived at about 10.30 after a bit of a foggy drive - at least 11 deg C temp rise over night and evidence of rain. Fog was hanging at field level and clear above More grassy patches showing through than I'd have liked. Leisurely skin up the ridge avoiding the numerous hazards of sledges wih little steering. Skins were quite wet when peeled off. A few boarders valiantly keeping the faith. One run down the "piste" with a few turns off in the mank at the side. Hiked up again without skins to save the faff. second run not that stunning. Back to the car. A worthwhile outing but far from the pow there must have been a couple of days earlier. Main piste still intact but now raining to the south.
snow report
Gazzza, I did this one http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59952 last year...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy