Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Share your (mis)adventure with the nation!

Poster: A snowHead
Just been asked to help out on this one: Have you ever
a. Skied into a crevasse and been pulled out.
b. Been avalanched + rescued.
or
c. Had your few remaining brainc ells left in tact by wearing a helmet during a nasty wipeout.

If so, then Granada telly would like to interview you! They are doing a piece on Off piste ski safety & need a few real life case studies to hang the advice on. If you are up for it then entertain us below + then give Kavita a ring on 0113 2228601 for a chat.

This is the brief:-

We are currently producing a series for ITV 1 called Package Holiday Undercover. I am working on a strand which is looking at winter sports to go out at the end of August in our final programme. The short film will feature three retrospective stories of people’s first hand experiences of their winter holiday, at the end of each film we hope to draw lessons and offer safety advice to our viewers. So far we are hoping to feature a story of a snowboarder, a story of a man going off –piste highlighting the dangers and we are looking for a third case to feature. Ideally we are very keen to feature someone who wore helmet whilst skiing or snowboarding which kept them safe in the event of a accident. I would be happy to talk to anyone about their experiences. Please feel free to give me call if you would like a chat about your story or for more information about the strand. (0113 2228601)

Ta now,

AlP
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AIP, welcome to snowheads your programme sounds interesting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AlP, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

None of a, b or c apply to me so I'm afraid I can't help!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Interesting that (a) and (b) are seemingly covered, but (c) isn't.

In the history of snowHeads and other ski forums I don't recall reading the story of anyone who's convinced that a helmet has saved them from serious concussion (and brain damage).

Or do I have selective memory?

We know of instances where skiers have died from head impact with trees (there seem to be several cases every year in the USA). We know that helmets provide limited protection in these situations. We know that avoiding skiing near large fixed obstacles like trees is even better protection.

I can cite one experience in 46 years' skiing where a helmet would definitely have protected my head, from the cut of a ski edge. It was helpfully bandaged up by a ski guide. But there's no way I'd have converted to a helmet as a result. I love the feeling of a head in the open air, the rush of the breeze, the full sensory function of the head and a pair of ears. Nicer than a clammy scalp.

Best not to ski near substantial fixed obstacles, or learn the skills always to steer clear of them. If you don't trust your skills, take some instruction.

[But I do wear a cycle helmet!]
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I know that a cycle helmet has saved me from being hospitalised, definitely, but not a ski helmet

However a friend of mine may have something to say, i'll point him to this thread and see what he thinks
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well, I previously posted this avalanche experience, but there wasn't much you could learn from it except you can still get avalanched even on slopes everyone would think were safe.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, I'd say you fit the criteria for b) perfectly
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Well, yes, perhaps so, except I didn't have to be rescued. (I 've also nearly been in a couple of other avalanches: such as this . Perhaps I should give him a buzz.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I did a "scariest ski experiences" thread on EpicSki and someone put in a very good cravasse experience (see post No. 18 with photos)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
AlP, Welcome ..

Didn't pg speak glowingly of the contribution to his well-being (???) after his recent fall .. something about head to rocks ?????

David@traxvax, Since you kind folks advised me ... my crash-hat has saved me from severe headaches twice ( second one hard enough to convince me to buy a new one next year just in case) , but not a story worthy of inclusion in a TV programme). www.skihelmets.com gave me enough faith
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a nasty crash, 3 days after my then boyf convinced me to buy a helmet - I was all, "no, I want to feel the wind through my hair blah blah blah". I moaned and moaned and he refused to ski with me till I got a helmet so off we went to the shops and I bought said helmet.

Then, 3 days later, I slammed into another skier at top speed, vaulted over the top of him and landed on my head. Me and other bloke (poor poor beginner!) were both fine but I am absolutely convinced I would've been hurt in the head if it weren't for that helmet. A small cut, a concussion or serious head injury? - who knows but the lesson here is obvious and I learnt it well. I now take the same attitude as my ex boyf took with me - if you want to ski with me you wear a helmet - no cowdoo about freedom of movement etc...

However, I don't want to go on tv so am not interested in that tv programme thing but just wanted to share!

David Goldsmith, clearly not my place to lecture you but would seriously advise you to rethink your attitude. I agree, you can steer clear of obstacles etc,... but can crap skiers, crazy idiotic fools and anyone else who could injure you, always be guaranteed to steer clear of you?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
oooh, flashy - does it automatically change "s*it" to "cowdoo" now?!!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
David Goldsmith, An hour after buying her helmet, my better half had a relatively slow speed fall caused by another skiier cutting her up. It all happened in the blink of an eye, but basically she took avoiding action, caught an edge, did a half back flip and smacked the back of her head (helmet) on some very hard packed piste. She was a little dazed by it and had mild whiplash, but if she hadn't had the skid lid on she would have been in hospital.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the only thing my ski helmet did for me was contribute to whip lash!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I only where my helmet if I'm skiing gates. But one time I was skiing off-piste, a relatively easy slope, and I was just coming out of the powder back onto the piste when who knows what happened but I found myself cartwheeling, landed on my bum and fell backwards with quite a bump on the back of my head. Nothing serious though I did have a bit of a headache for a while. Made me think it could have been worse and I should have been wearing a helmet...but I still don't wear one all the time now. I think I would for more extreme off-piste, but I'd need to get another helmet as the one I have is for racing so it's a bit restrictive.
snow report
You won't catch me on-piste very often, much too dangerous.
ski holidays
beanie1, I don't understand at all. Would you only wear a helmet on a motorbike when driving on the motorway but not on normal roads? I don't get the logic but each to their own. I just think - there's a risk which you can minimise so why choose not to? I know this is an age old debate with skiers etc.. nowadays but to me the answer is so clear.
ski holidays
nightshift,

No I agree with you, you're totally right and in theory I know I should wear a helmet all the time. But in practice I don't, and I think it's the same for many other skiers. In Italy it's now the law for children of 14 and under to wear a helmet, and I think that's a great step.
snow conditions
beanie1,
yeah, I heard about the introduction of that law in Italy and i think it's great - I hope other countries follow on. Didn't mean to sound like I was lecturing before by the way so sorry about that!!!
snow conditions
Well, I just contacted the people at Granada so we'll see what happens.

I expect you remember the avalanche in which 6, or was it 7 English doctors died years ago in Val d'Isere. I've skied with the only one who survived several times and contacted him about this, but he didn't want to rake up the old memories which are still too painful. Tactless of me.
snow report
Didn't JOnpims (not been around for a while) friends have a nasty avalanche experience in La Plagne this year?
snow report
AlP, Sounds like your only intention is find scare stories to support a one sided argument to make helmets compulsory or some other similar rubbish. You don't seem to want to know about the hundreds of stories of people going off piste, having a damn fine time and not hitting their head not being buried alive or falling down a crevasse. Sounds entirely like you have reached a conclusion and are looking for support it.

Count me out.
snow conditions
snowball wrote:
Well, I just contacted the people at Granada so we'll see what happens.

I expect you remember the avalanche in which 6, or was it 7 English doctors died years ago in Val d'Isere. I've skied with the only one who survived several times and contacted him about this, but he didn't want to rake up the old memories which are still too painful.

That must be inflation.

Back in 1994 when the accident happened it was a group of five doctors, four of whom were killed along with their ski instructor. The were off-piste in an avalanche risk of 5. Hearsay suggests that the instructor had a dispute with his girlfriend the night before and there was some confusion about route they were taking which delayed rescue.

It would be unusual for a single guide or instructor to be skiing with 8 clients.
snow report
David Goldsmith, I got my head stuck between the seat and the cross bar/foot rest on a lift in La Rosiere last season (03/04) and the helmet certainly spared me a nasty bump on the head. Didn't help with the street cred., though, as all around looked on laughing.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:

That must be inflation.
Back in 1994 when the accident happened it was a group of five doctors, four of whom were killed along with their ski instructor.

I'm sure you are right - I just went by a recent reference to it I read which mentioned 7 doctors. I haven't talked to Chris about it for about 10 years since he prefers not to.

Interestingly he had to give up ordinary GP work for quite a while afterwards and just do emergency medicine: he found he got too emotionally involved with his patients' problems and would burst into tears himself. But it didn't put him off skiing: instead he got involved with repping and party leading for the SCGB and I gather he now teaches skiing.
snow report
I think that Sam's helmet saved his life in April. He is 8. He was shussing quite fast in front of me in slush and fell over. I stopped behind him - only I fell over as well, having found the same hole. I fell sideways landing heavily on him, thankfully later my bruises showed that his bindings took the main impact. I carried on sliding, going straight over him and both my skis hit his helmet. He was screaming, his neck hurt from the force I put on his helmet. He recovered, but I would hate to think what would have happened if my skis had hit his head without a helmet with that force.

Oh, and the reason that I wear a helmet - a few years ago the guy in the room next to us in Tignes didn't wake up in the morning, or ever again, he had fallen over on the nursery slope and hit his head. His helmet was at home, he had forgotten to bring it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy