Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hi all, recently relocated to UK

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, figured I would introduce myself to the forum here.

I was living in Jackson Hole up until mid November when I decided that I needed to put my degree to work, so I took a job in Washington state, around the Seattle area, figuring that there were still some decent mountains. Well, I started work and found out they need me to come to the UK for 6 months to do some install for some of our products over here. So now here I am, living in the Chester area for the next 6 months while JH is having an unreal snow year.

Anyways, 2 conditions for me coming out here was that the company pay for me to get my freeride bike and a pair of skis out here. I am hoping to find somewhere to ski locally from time to time along with hopefully escaping to the alps on occasion when I can force a long weekend from work. Did not bring touring gear out here, but I am more than happy to boot pack up anything for a few turns and was told that I might be able to find some skiing in Snowdonia or Moel Famau.

I am excited to explore whatever options I have around here and look forward to learning about the area as much as I can from the forum. Unfortunately I need to stay off my bike and skis until maybe the end of the month due to a shoulder injury from a DH bike crash just before leaving jackson, but after that I'm going to have to make up for lost time as much as possible.

Thanks in advance, I am sure I will find enough info on here to get a few turns in this year.

Sean
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to the Madhouse americanskier, not much in the way of snow skiing opportunities near Chester - off-piste on Snowdon and around the horseshoe could be fun Toofy Grin.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think by the time your shoulder has healed most of the snow in Chester might have disapeared.

However, there are plenty of proper mountains in the Alps for you to sample, although they might be a bit of a step up from the Mole Hills you'll be used to across the pond wink .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
americanskier, Hi there and welcome to the site. There has been much recent discussion concerning local skiing opportunities in this thread... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67725&highlight=

I'm about 12 miles from Chester and looking to get some stuff done this season. Never skied on UK ground before.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Go to Scotland.

There are 5 resorts.

Nevis Range is best.

Glencoe is second.

Cairngorm is third.

Best for a long weekend.

For a week, go to Switzerland, France, Austria or Italy. In that order.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

For a week, go to Switzerland, France, Austria or Italy. In that order.

I don't agree that you can rank entire ski countries so precisely and so simply - particularly in the context of a short trip.

Any of the above would be great for a weekend Very Happy

We've been to each of them for a 1 night, 1.5 day ski weekend and had a great trip each time. If you can go for longer, even better! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quit, packup and move back to JH pronto

Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
americanskier, if i go for a weekend slide up to scotland or the pennines then i will give you a shout. Im going on sunday but your shoulder wont be ready for will it?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi americanskier,
You could always investigate that invention called the artificial ski slope. There are quite a few in easy striking distance from Chester. The slope at Llandudno is in a spectacular location, but has been surfaced in that 'orrible carpet stuff, but if you like skiing with no grip you could give it a try. Closer to Chester there is an artificial slope at the Oval Ski Club, on the Wirral at Bebington. If you head towards Manchester, then you have the indoor sloping fridge known as Chill Factor(e), and a bit further away there is Rossendale slope - currently probably the best bet for off-piste skiing (I hope so: we are there Sunday for a training day!).

For real snow within a day-trip then you are either looking at Raise in the Lake District (you've got to hike in), or Yad Moss in the Pennines.

Just don't expect JH conditions anywhere in England/Wales.

(For more info on all the above locations, just google them.)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
RobW, Yes but 30 mins on Dendix or in a fridge and he'll be bored stiff Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lol worst decision of your life!! Ifyou want make the most of Wales, learn to whitewater kayak.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
On the plus side you're in easy driving distance of Manchester airport which you should try and make good use of and have long weekends in Europe!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Welcome to snowHeads americanskier, snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to the UK and snowHeads americanskier! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes, welcome to snowheads! If you've never skied the Alps before, you're in for a treat and, as others have said, Scotland is only a few hours drive away!
snow conditions
i guess the nearest snow skiing with lifts would be in the Lake District - doable in as a day trip from Chester if you get up early. when the roads clear, the Scottish areas are also quite accessible

aside from that there will be plenty of flights from manchester and liverpool to geneva, munich etc so look into them for long weekends
snow conditions
Thanks for all the great replies guys. I got a real job to put some money away so that in a few years I can quit and move back to JH. Having a full time job of 2 nights a week all winter was awesome for skiing, but not for the bank. If I actually had to pay more rent for a house that had real insulation I probably couldn't have afforded to live there.

I have come to terms with the fact that I am not going to get any decent skiing close by, but as long as there is something nearby thats fine. I am more than willing to work for it, and frankly any nearby hills that I can hike up by dawn are ideal, as I could ski before work.

I have skied the Austrian and Italian alps, but never Swiss or French so those are definitely on my list. I will have about 10 or so days off around Christmas so I am trying to figure out whether I should head to the alps or back to JH to take advantage of this ridiculous snow year they are having so far.

I am also more than willing to squeeze a few trips to Scotland in, but I don't know how many long weekends I will be able to take, so I would likely have to head up Friday evenings and come back Sunday evenings, but living in the US (especially around JH) gets you pretty accustomed to long drives so that shouldn't be a problem.

I would love to do some whitewater, I have a little (very little) experience, but I don't know that my shoulder would be up to it for quite a bit. In the meantime I guess I will have to put my bike back together and probably get a lot of riding in this winter.

I probably won't try to do any skiing until after my Dec/Jan trip, but I will be looking forward to meeting up with some people to try and take some Scotland trips. How long does the snow stick around for there? When is the prime part of the ski season?

Do any of the nearby indoor or carpeted hills have any kind of rails/jumps/features of any sort? I think I heard that the one in Manchester does.
latest report
scotland looks pretty well set for the season but i wouldn't get your hopes up about skiing in Snowdonia, I'm afraid. it may stick around in skiable amounts but that doesn't usually happen

there is a dry slope in rossendale and there used to be one in bebbington, which are close enough to chester. there's a vid doing the rounds on Vimeo of Plake at Kendal dry slope which will give you an idea of what that is like
ski holidays
Welcome! For a little bit of outdoor fun nearby, just north of Halifax.... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=70019
ski holidays
americanskier wrote:
I probably won't try to do any skiing until after my Dec/Jan trip, but I will be looking forward to meeting up with some people to try and take some Scotland trips. How long does the snow stick around for there? When is the prime part of the ski season?

Some snowHeads are planning a trip to Scotland 25/27 March whatever the conditions Madeye-Smiley http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286 but of course there are many resident Scottish skiers who I'm sure you could hook up with on other occasions. There is a very good Scottish website Winterhighland http://www.winterhighland.info/
snow conditions
Would recommend taking full advantage of being on the civilised Twisted Evil side of the pond to ski the Alps.
snow report
Welcome to the UK americanskier! I live about half an hour away from you in north Wales.

As other have said, unfortunately there isn't much in the way of 'real' snow skiing around us (although if you're adventurous, I'm sure there's some to be found over in Snowdonia at the moment!). However, you are quite close to Manchester airport, so it's easy to take advantage of last minute deals (website like lastminute.com and teletext holidays are good) to palces further afield.

If you're into climbing, Snowdonia has some awesome ice routes that are in condition (I'm told) at the moment and once it's warmed up a bit, there's world-class kayaking an hour's drive from your front door.

I noticed you're a mountain bike fan. Llandegla has some awesome trails, and very steep drops if you're into that sort of thing. More info here http://www.coedllandegla.com/ on how to damage yourself more! Depending which part of Chester you're in, it's 20 minutes/half an hour away.

Scotland's good for a weekend blitz (we're hoping to get up some time in the new year) and the Alps aren't far away really.

Gimme a call if you fancy a beer some time!
snow conditions
Quote:

I have skied the Austrian and Italian alps, but never Swiss or French so those are definitely on my list. I will have about 10 or so days off around Christmas so I am trying to figure out whether I should head to the alps or back to JH to take advantage of this ridiculous snow year they are having so far.

Take advantage while you're here! Why go back to the US which you already know when you've got the whole of Europe on your doorstep. And you definitely want to check out France, unlike Whitegold I would put Switzerland at the bottom of the list.

If you're looking for a package on your own, On the 20th december Thomson ski have plagne 1800 self catering that would work out at £644 or less (644 is based on the 2X the 322 based on 2 sharing, but they may be prepared to do you a price on single occupancy - last time I checked they wouldn't!). Or, here's a real bargain Chalet glacier in Tignes for a single for £522 (wish I'd seen that before I booked elsewhere, must be a recent reduction) (BEWARE - I just checked the description for this chalet and it talks of "cabin bedrooms", in French appartment speak a "cabine" is a room with no window, may not be such a bargain)

Rocket ski (http://www.rocketski.com) have got Mongenevre available for £329 (based on 2 but they do do sensible single suplements).

Both those were searched on manchester departures, which would be easy enough for you.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder,
Hi Rick,
Don't suppose you have room for one more in your car on Sunday do you?
I live in Manchester and would be keen to get some skiing on Sunday if it was possible.
cheers
Alex
snow conditions
americanskier,

The local dry slopes aren't particulalry exciting but may keep you motor running for a bit (see my above comment re: 30mins) but if you must then there is also a dry slope at Runcorn about 20mins drive from Chester
http://www.runcornskicentre.co.uk/faqs.asp

I think the Oval in Bebington
http://www.ovalskiclub.com/ContactUs.aspx
is quite a bit smaller than the other local slopes but it must be over 20yrs since I was there. Had my first ever ski lessons there a few weeks before my first ski holiday
snow report
I don't live too far away from you (maybe 40 mins further into North wales). I know the Ski Slopes in Llandudno do a "freestyle friday" in the evening when they have a few rails and ramps they bring out.
snow report
EvilWeevil - I may actually be pretty close to you, I am moving to the Broughton area in a week (only in Chester temporarily right now until a room opens up at a company house in Broughton), so it would be great to meet up some time for beers and ski talk, its hard to find people who want to talk about skiing over here... I don't know the area too well, but I will be right down the road from the Airbus plant.

Great info so far, guys. I am definitely going to sneak away a few times this winter to get some worthwhile turns in, but for those stretches where I am unable to it is nice to know I can at least get on my skis without too long of a drive. Sounds like my 189 obsetheds might be a little overkill around here though, haha.
snow conditions
Liverpool airport has a decent Easyjet schedule for cheeky weekenders to the Alps if you can squeeze the odd extra day. Make sure you argue for UK holiday allowance rather than US wink. Also make sure you get up to the Lakes as well as Snowdonia for some winter hiking. Not quite the Tetons but still pretty nice on the right day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
americanskier, Pretty close to me too... in fact my bro works at Aerospace in Broughton and only lives a few miles away.
snow report
americanskier said...
Quote:
Did not bring touring gear out here, but I am more than happy to boot pack up anything for a few turns......

Quote:
.... but I will be looking forward to meeting up with some people to try and take some Scotland trips. How long does the snow stick around for there? When is the prime part of the ski season?

Scotland can be fickle, but is often fantastic and the snow can last well into the late spring - in fact Hilly from Winterhighland achieved >12 consecutive months skiing< this year.

They've experienced bumper seasons recently & this year is setting up well. Madeye-Smiley Have a look at the photogalleries on __Highland Instinct__ to see what's on offer.

If you're into touring (you could hire some kit in Aviemore) the late season is often fantastic, with longer days and more settled weather

Here's a couple of slideshows of tours (and a bit of piste skiing) I did in 2006 __Glenshee March__ & __Cairngorm Late April__
ski holidays
Oh.... I forgot: discussion/vids/pics of some great lines being skiid on >Jamie's Blog< on Highland instinct
ski holidays
americanskier, cool. We're over in Llangollen - about 30 minutes from Chester Broughton. Be great to meet up some time. Probably going to be spending quite a bit of time in Chester christmas shopping over the next few weeks too!

Scarpa, where are you based?
latest report
Great Video from Jamie. His photos are amazing. There are some other recent videos of scottish skiing on the internet to show you what it is like.

This time of year the days are pretty short. Scotland has also had a great start to its season. The ski areas are all 4-6hrs drive away (assuming clear roads). It's much more accessible for a weekend than the Alps, despite what some on here think. Driving up after work on friday, back on sunday is doable, just not every weekend!

First up is this from Glencoe. Mostly lift served.
Bad Boy - Glencoe

http://youtube.com/v/lYhyteNGn7E

Here's a sunny day at Nevis. All this is lift-served at the weekend.

Legion - A Day at Nevis Range

http://youtube.com/v/FUFzjjrT_l8&feature=related

Next 2 snowboarding videos from BackcountryBoarder. I have the full 30mins of In Pursuit somewhere. That was 2007 - the year of 'no snow'. Mainly not lift served lines (funnily enough).

Addicted to Snow (BackcountryBoarder 2006)

http://youtube.com/v/W_5lfgupba4&feature=&p=1D68E21401635136&index=0&playnext=1

In Pursuit (BackcountryBoarder 2007)

http://youtube.com/v/UROg_GhnnaE&feature=fvw

Finally heres some off piste from mid-May 2010 (you'll be back off to the USA before the snow goes)
Steep Scotland

http://youtube.com/v/Qi7UUVcdERE&feature=related

Extras. This thread has videos of 3 areas from the air
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,124395

Finally. Photos from the top of two of the ski areas. Both a short walk from the top of the lifts:

http://www.prog99.com/Stuff/aonach_mor_panorama.jpg

http://www.haggistrap.co.uk/photostrs/meallabhuiridh360pano/popup1.html

And just in case you didn't catch this last month, here's some nice Scottish scenery by bicycle wink
(been posted recently in apres)

http://youtube.com/v/Cj6ho1-G6tw&feature=related

Enjoy the videos.

Might go up for a weekend sometime (from Manchester) but my 6m old baby is definitely going to reduce my skiing time this year Crying or Very sad I'm happy to show you round any of the areas as sometimes the best runs aren't completely obvious.
snow report
Just to confirm, the Backcountryboarder videos above are from Stevomcd, not myself. Damn fine they are too!

In Pursuit includes the snowboard descent of Tower Gully on The North Face of Ben Nevis.
snow conditions
americanskier, you asked the best time to go to Scotland. In general March is the most snow-sure but it is really a place to go to when you hear the snow is good. Most of the pistes (especially in the East) are edged with fences to collect the snow during the ferocious winds they get at times. Also don't go there expecting big ski areas or very long descents. However if you are prepared to walk there is quite a lot.

As you probably know, in Europe most of the stuff that is like the double black diamonds at Jackson is off-piste so requires you either take a guide or have very good understanding of avalanche danger. However many of the areas are so big that you wouldn't be able to find most of the off-piste skiing easily (or safely) by yourself - especially where it ends up far from the resort.
Did you ski St Anton, my favourite Austrian area?
You should certainly try some of the big French resorts. At many of them (as at some places outside France) there are guiding companies with guides who take groups of the same ability off piste - such as TopSki in Val d'Isere. It is much more affordable than hiring a guide.
Then there are Verbier and Zermatt which shouldn't be missed: for the skiing, particularly the former, though Zermatt is beautiful. However Switzerland is quite expensive at present.
snow conditions
EvilWeevil wrote:
americanskier, cool. We're over in Llangollen - about 30 minutes from Chester Broughton. Be great to meet up some time. Probably going to be spending quite a bit of time in Chester christmas shopping over the next few weeks too!

Scarpa, where are you based?

I'm a couple of miles from Wrexham so pretty much in the middle of Llan and Chester.
ski holidays
Sweet videos, thanks a bunch! I didn't grow up in Jackson, I grew up skiing much smaller mountains (in New England), so while living next to a large mountain like that will spoil you I am still always happy to take whatever I can get. I will definitely be taking some trips to Scotland though. I was going to ask about avy danger up there, doesn't look like there are many anchors and it must get extremely wind loaded up there...Thankfully I brought my beacon, probe and avy shovel though. I was talking to a co-worker who is heading back to the states before Christmas, then coming back here in January and bringing his skis and he just so happens to be a 6 or 7 year backcountry mountain rescue volunteer in the Seattle area, so he would be a great person to bring along for trips up there.

And that Danny MacAskill video is awesome! I need to finish putting my bike together, the hotel room is getting crowded with skis and bike parts...

And snowball, yes I have skied St. Anton, it was actually the first mountain I ever skied that was above treeline years ago. Great mountain and a really cool town too, I would love to go back. We were staying in a place that was on the mountain (just up from the Moosevert, if that is spelled correctly) and it was a great time. The snow was decent, then it started snowing the day we were leaving and they got 2-3 feet over the next 2 days or so...just barely missed it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy