Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boots - Side Country and Touring

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am looking for a new pair of ski boots.
I am 49 years old, and have skied for 35 years - currently have Salomon Falcon CS Boots and ski on Mantras / Pocket Rockets and have a pair of Snoop Daddys with Fritchi Freerides. Just got Preachers too.

I have awkward shaped feet - wide forefoot with 6th toe bump (bursette), prominent ankle bones but narrow ankle with small heel spur. My CS Falcons have been moulded several times, by CEM and others - both ankles punched, heel spur area ground, 6th toe blown etc. But they have never been very comfortable - perform well, but on the first few occasions they were agony - bearable now, but if I do keep them they will need another stretch !

I am skiing more and more off piste - mainly side country lift accessed areas - some hiking up to half an hour say..... but want to do more and do a bit of touring too ..... day trips mainly at the moment.

Looking at Garmont Endorphin or Salomon Quest ...... Endorphins probably favourite at mo.
Not too fussed about weight at the moment or Dynafit compatibility.

Going to Lockwoods soon to try them all.
Given my experience with the Salomon CS Falcons comfort is the top priority, but I want a good performer too.

Any views or others I should be considering ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Assuming the Falcons are the correct shape for your feet, *apparently* the Atomic Tracker is a similar shape.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
clarky999, As Ye said. Also add, Dynafit Titan, both these boots IMO fit and work way better than the options stated, both in terms of quality, flex and Fit.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - Given my experience of the Falcons - not sure they were ever the correct shape !!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Might be worth a look at the Black Diamond Factor too: http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/boots/factor

I quite like the look of the Salomon Quest Pros - very light boots but still pretty stiff. As you say, you just need to try them all on and see what works best.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wound up with the Garmonts - tried the Quest and the Factors too ..... Factors felt very stiff, but fit good esp round heel and forefoot, Quest 12s comfortable/roomy but felt quite soft - only 1 top buckle and the flexi power strap may be the reason.
The Garmonts got more comfortable the more I wore them. Still had both ankles expanded and right little toe area too. Nearly 4 hours later I left Lockwoods - fab shop and service from Tom ..... Thanks.
Very close between the Garmont and the Quest - was worried I had picked the wrong option ......... skied with them at Gloucester yesterday and think they will be fine. They were not as stiff as I thought they might be. Right one is spot on, but the left one needs a bit more work on the ankle area ..... I think the punch is a few mm out .. so will be back to Tom soon to sort it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy