Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiers Lodge La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Booked to go there beginning of Jan,
paid deposit and trying to sort out balance etc but not having any luck contacting them, any one on here know them and best way to get in touch? Thanks Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pelle might still be in Turkey or Sweden - but he normally picks his email up - would have thought he'd be back in LG this weekend to start getting the hotel ready
His email is pelle@skierslodge.com I'll see if I can dig out his Mrs's one
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, thanks have emailed a couple of times, just getting a bit panicky!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I assume everything was ok? How was the trip?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How long have you got?! Suffice to say Mrs Psycho is returning there over New Year....I am not! I found more ways to scare the whatnot out of me than I thought was possible! After one incident I waited a couple of hours to calm down then took a self portrait on my phone, even my wife doesnt recognise me! The evenings were a multinational laugh a minute but that may have been hysteria on my part. Probably it being the first trip of the season was a massive error!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gravester, ps did I meet you there?!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Did you do one of my favourites: La Voute? (you get let down a rock face on a rope at the end of the right edge of the glacier - like many others, it ends at the road)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
is the skiers lodge stuff all totally scarey stuff? obviously a bit scarey, but just wondered how fab a skier you hav eto be not to be a pain in the **** for everyone else? cheers for any advice as im playing with the idea of signing up for a week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PsychoBabble, ...try this

http://www.zapiks.com/a-skier-s-journey-la-grave-1.html

great sound track by coeur de pirate (beatrice martin)

I posted this last year since I reckon it's one of the best vids I've seen - I put in on during summer afternoons when I am missing the Dark Summer of winter skiing.....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
bitoffluff, no but to get the best out of it, it helps if you have a bit of a head for heights and can get down steepish stuff at a good pace in all conditions
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bitoffluff, take a look at this

http://www.zapiks.com/a-skier-s-journey-la-grave-1.html

not every route involves rappelling
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bitoffluff, Here's a trip report I did last season to give some perspective-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1757291&highlight=grave#1757291
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bitoffluff, From what I gather my timing was rubbish. It was low season so they only had 2 groups out and I was definitely the weakest off piste skier, the next had done 6 trips to La Grave previously! As the season progresses they have more groups which can be tailored more specifically. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. It's the age old problem though, you are worried about holding people up, so push to hard, then fall, then don't give yourself enough time to recover etc etc
I have no doubt that had I gone in March with a couple of weeks under my belt it would have been a different story...but the damage is done!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh and my wife loved it! Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bitoffluff,

Quote:

but just wondered how fab a skier you hav eto be not to be a pain in the **** for everyone else?

You don't neeed to be a fab skier..but you do need to be able to deal with any snow in any condition.....no pistes in LG. If you skiing ego needs constant honing on smooth pistes.... then best not go... If you are happy to adapt to what the mountain has to offer -- and accept the humiliation that comes with not adapting.. then you'll have a great time.

Attitude and fitness (IMV) are way more important than skiing ability.

Ditto snowball, La Voute is a classic. There is something really cool about starting at the top, and finishing on the road... snowHead

As for not being a PITA...easy just don't !
ski holidays
bitoffluff, There are two main valleys with a few variations which are the nearest La Grave gets to pistes. These are relatively easy skiing, with the emphasis on relatively. The rest is made up of steep couloirs and very steep gouloirs. There are dozens of these, some relatively short, like the famous Banana and others very long going right down to the road. For good skiers these are the main point of La Grave. However anyone from a reasonably good intermediate to an expert could easily spend a fun 3 days just skiing the 2 main routes.
snow report
Spud9 wrote:
bitoffluff, Here's a trip report I did last season to give some perspective-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1757291&highlight=grave#1757291

Great report by the way, thanks! I was just about to ask for info on LaGrave / Skiers Lodge as I'm planning a solo trip there this winter... Searching the site there seem to be quite a few other posts and reports too. Any one else going there this season?
ski holidays
won't be doing Skiers Lodge but my find my way to a short trip out there
latest report
Might go for a long weekend - even if the snow's rubbish there's always the cheese cart at the Castillan to compensate.
ski holidays
What's the best plan for LG - Skiers Lodge or somewhere else + local guiding outfit. I only really know about the Skiers Lodge, so I assume that either they're good or they have an excellent PR contact.
latest report
sah, I really rate Skierslodge. Probably the strongest reason to use them is that - certainly at peak season - they will have 6 groups or so running. This means that you are much more likely to fit in with a group that skis at or about your own level.

I'm normally in the 'Very keen, but very cr*p group' Laughing

TR here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1470629&highlight=grave#1470629

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Wed 28-09-11 15:23; edited 3 times in total
snow report
ski wrote:
sah, I really rate Skierslodge. Probably the strongest reason to use them is that - certainly at peak season - they will have 6 groups or so running. This means that you are much more likely to fit in with a group that skis at or about yyour own level.

I'm normally in the 'Very keen, but very cr*p group' Laughing

Hmm. Sounds about what I'm after, but I'd be more keen on a "keen the night before but now a bit hungover and slightly apathetic group"

Seriously, a range of groups sounds like a very good reason to go with them.
snow report
skierslodge are really good at what they do and actually pretty good value if you look at similar weeks elsewhere
snow report
Of course when you get to the stage of having 5 friends who ski at the same level and want to make your own group you can stay at Hotel Edelweiss and book a guide, such as Phillipe André, Jean Yves Hubaud or Pierre Rizzardo.
latest report
Quote:
skierslodge are really good at what they do and actually pretty good value if you look at similar weeks elsewhere

^ yip

Never stayed with skiers lodge myself - but have friends who now live full time in la Grave.

If your a UK based skier looking spend to money on an off piste course then I reckon Skiers Lodge is probably the best adventure you could have on snow ? Whilst its not a cheap week it is very good value when you consider that 6 days mountain guiding is included. La Grave mountain guides are all ski bums at heart so will want to help you find the best snow / terrain (for you and them!). La Grave really is an incredible ski area unlike no other.

Quote:
how fab a skier you have to be?

You don't need to be an off piste hero.... But you do need to be fit and willing to ski all types of snow.
A good head for heights will help too wink Whilst the whole ski area feels wild and remote, its certainly not all hardcore and steep. There is plenty for 'intermediate off piste skiers' though its not the kind of place you want to be skiing with a mild hangover!
snow conditions
[quote="Haggis_Trap"]
Quote:
though its not the kind of place you want to be skiing with a mild hangover!

I'm going to have to challenge that then... Of course, I will probably regret doing so but I'll give it a go.
snow report
Quote:

+1

I have done 2 trips to Skiers Lodge and will book again for this season. What is not always mentioned is that good conditions do not last long at La Grave and Skiers Lodge have minibuses included in the overall package. So last year that covered us for retrieval from St Christophe after skiing couloir Rama, from the aforementioned La Voute, a trip to Les Deux Alpes when the lift was closed due to wind, a day at montgenevre,Puy St vincent and finally a day's heliskiing from Sestriere - obviously not including the heli - which was my final day's skiing of last season and has kept me going all summer!

In my opinion as a solo skier with no friends, cue violins...., it is the best and I just wish there were more places like it. Not wishing to divert the thread but does anyone know of a similar operation in Alagna?
latest report
inspark wrote:
Quote:

+1

I have done 2 trips to Skiers Lodge and will book again for this season. What is not always mentioned is that good conditions do not last long at La Grave and Skiers Lodge have minibuses included in the overall package. So last year that covered us for retrieval from St Christophe after skiing couloir Rama, from the aforementioned La Voute, a trip to Les Deux Alpes when the lift was closed due to wind, a day at montgenevre,Puy St vincent and finally a day's heliskiing from Sestriere - obviously not including the heli - which was my final day's skiing of last season and has kept me going all summer!

In my opinion as a solo skier with no friends, cue violins...., it is the best and I just wish there were more places like it. Not wishing to divert the thread but does anyone know of a similar operation in Alagna?

Good to know. When it comes to La Grave most of my skiing friends are not keen (they are mostly uneducated rather than unable I think, but despite my efforts they won't go with me), so I probably will be going on my own so I'm sold on the Lodge now.

I don't think there is any outfit quite like it anywhere... I've never heard of one one in Alagna. I think the best but for joining a group there would be something like a Mountain Tracks trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy