Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Westendorf or Soll

Poster: A snowHead
Hello. We are a group of 5 persons and have booked flights to munich for the end of Feb.We are all confident skiers and also like some good apres.We were thinking of Westendorf or Soll.Would appreciate any views on either resort or any other resort within 2 hours of Munich.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Westendorf has (by far) the better skiing, Soll has more variey for apres. I much prefer Westendorf, but for drinking you're pretty much limited to the 'Nails Bar' (don't know the actual name lol) near the top of the nursery slopes (otherside of the road, on the ski back from the middle station) and then the Wunderbar in the village, both are pretty lively with good atmosphere though.

Loads of places around two hours from Munich, maybe look into Kitzbuehel too.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-12-10 17:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.We have done Kitzbuhel,Ischgl,Mayerhofen,Saalbach and Schladming in the last few years and are looking for somethind new.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What sort of skiing do you want?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chick,

clarky999's spot on. Better skiing in Westendorf than in Soll but better apres in Soll.
Considering the quality of lifts across the skiwelt, personally I'd base myself in Soll and ski to westendorf everyday, if really that's where you want to ski every day. But Soll is roughly in the center of the skiwelt so better location to make the most of the area in my view..

Also be aware that traffic back to Munich at the WE is horrendous. Left Kitzbuhel at 4.30pm on a sunday last January and made it to the airport at close to 9pm. Checked in with 5mins to spare. My mates lives in munich and said it's like this most WE...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler.We are going from Monday to Monday so hopefully traffic wont be as bad.The reason we are favouring Westendorf at the moment is the link to kitzbuhel and town is supposed to be nicer on the eye than soll.Also not mad on having to get a bus out of the town to access the lifts as in the case with soll.

CLARKY999.We prefer long reds and blacks and some moguls.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chick, In view of your skiing preferences, I'd go for Westendorf. If you are looking for accommodation via the WilderKaiser website:

http://www.wilderkaiser.info/en/vermieter/

You should also consider staying in Brixen as it links directly into both Soll and Westendorf and you also have the option of taking a train along to Kitz. I also think you can get to Brixen by train from Munich Airport, making life a bit easier.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
after reading the reports i am a little worried about the ski in soll , i am a pretty good skier and i am worried about the runs in soll ,is it easy to ski from soll to westerndof and kits thanks
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chick, .............Go for Westendorf. Well linked into the ski-welt and Kitzbuhel now (although kitz does require a short bus ride between gondola stations).

A few bars and restaurants in the town centre, plus some traditional hotels. Just clicked what clarky999 meant about the nail bar. wink I think he means the cow shed alongside the nursery slope. Couple of lively dutch bars for your cheesy apres fix. We stayed in Kitz for a couple of apres drinks and just caught the bus from the station next to the main ticket office.

If the five of you need a transfer or maybe accomodation you could try Clive at www.pensionchristoph.at . A five-way split shouldn't break the bank. I think we went for the Kitz all-star card/lift pass. Gets you a lot of skiing. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Cool
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
charlie26 wrote:
after reading the reports i am a little worried about the ski in soll , i am a pretty good skier and i am worried about the runs in soll ,is it easy to ski from soll to westerndof and kits thanks

Yes and no, respectively.

To reach the Westendorf ski area is quite easy, although it will probably take you an hour or more from getting the liftout of Soll to being on teh gondola up teh Westendorf side of Brixen.

But to reach the Kitzbuhel area with any time to actually ski there would not be easy at all.

Whether you need to worry about the runs in Soll though, depends on what sort of skiing you want. If you want it all long and steep, you won't find it in the main Ski Welt area. If you want a good variety of runs, you will, although it is true that the majority of the runs apart from those going to the base are fairly short.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tougher skiing ops in Kitzbuehel, more touring from Soll - although it's all linked now. Have only ever skied 'into' Brixen, Westendorf, Elmau Scheffeau, etc. rather than staying in any of those places but to try and give you an idea - Soll is very small with very good albeit limited apres ski, Kitz is fancier (and way prettier) but more expensive but worth it in my opinion. Having been in Soll for the last 6 years I can only say that we keep going back for at least one week every year - might not be to everyone tastes but for me you can't beat it. I got married in Kitzbuehel this year so am somewhat biased towards it but I really could not recommend Soll highly enough - so long as you aren't expecting a massive ski town, there is loads to ski and ample restaurants/pubs to keep you happy.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

But to reach the Kitzbuhel area with any time to actually ski there would not be easy at all

Eh? Not so familiar skiing form Soll, but once you're at the top of the Alpenrosenbahn in Westendorf you can be in Kitzbuehel in 40 minutes without much stress.

Quote:

Just clicked what clarky999 meant about the nail bar. I think he means the cow shed alongside the nursery slope

Nails bar as in the game - if you look up the nursery slope its the one on the right at the top, past the slope and other side of the road (you'd go past it on the travers to the gondola).

Chick, if you're wanting a good place to stay, the Hotel Glockenstuhl in Westendorf is awesome - nicest/friendliest/cosiest hotel I've stayed in, much better than many 5 star hotels.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Chick wrote:
Kruisler.We are going from Monday to Monday so hopefully traffic wont be as bad.

We wanted to go to Soll for a short break during February 3 years ago and every single hotel or appartment we contacted said they would only do Saturday to Saturday at that time of year, so it may not be an option.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Quote:

But to reach the Kitzbuhel area with any time to actually ski there would not be easy at all

Eh? Not so familiar skiing form Soll, but once you're at the top of the Alpenrosenbahn in Westendorf you can be in Kitzbuehel in 40 minutes without much stress.

It depends entirely on the skiers abilities but even counting 2 hours each way to go from Soll village to Kitzbuhel ski area, and then back, that still leaves you 2/3 hours to play in Kitz...
I've only "crossed" from Kitz to westendorf and by mid-morning we were in westendorf from Kitz town.

Tim M wrote:
Chick wrote:
Kruisler.We are going from Monday to Monday so hopefully traffic wont be as bad.

We wanted to go to Soll for a short break during February 3 years ago and every single hotel or appartment we contacted said they would only do Saturday to Saturday at that time of year, so it may not be an option.

Very good point actually.. Shortbreak is what we do every year, but I know that the guy organising the accommodation is often faced with that problem even in January,
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chick wrote:
...The reason we are favouring Westendorf at the moment is the link to kitzbuhel and town is supposed to be nicer on the eye than soll.Also not mad on having to get a bus out of the town to access the lifts as in the case with soll.

I don't find Soll's architecture that bad at all, mainly austrian chalets so hardly offensive! Very Happy

I sympathise with the bus issue. Although having had to do it in Kitz last year (although we did walk on occasions, easy with my board rather than with skis n boots) It wasn't as bad as I thought.
Also, I stayed in soll twice, both within walking distance of the Gondola.

I really liked Soll and the Skiwelt, but for competent/advance skiers it isn't demanding at all though. Plenty of cruisy reds/blues. A few more demanding runs but not that many. It was perfect for me teaching myself to board, but on skis I had it covered in a day or two..
snow report
clarky999, Yup,as in driving nails into a log with what looks like an axe Shocked Health & Safety my +rse Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Chick - I reckon Westendorf is a good base - then it's easier for getting to Kitz/Kirchberg which both have lovely runs and great stashes off piste. It means you can explore the whole skiwelt too. Get the Kitbuhel all star card and ski kitz and skiwelt!! I work for a company called blacksheepski, we do lessons and guiding - good if you want to explore more! Not that I'm advertising Smile
Having said that, Kirchberg is a nice town, bit more lively than westendorf and great skiing. Don't get much ski in ski out places in any of the areas, plenty of buses though. Enjoy your hols wherever you decide!!
snow conditions
Quote:

I really liked Soll and the Skiwelt, but for competent/advance skiers it isn't demanding at all though. Plenty of cruisy reds/blues. A few more demanding runs but not that many. It was perfect for me teaching myself to board, but on skis I had it covered in a day or two..

Theres a suprising amount of good offpiste - particularly if you're willing to hike for half an hour.
latest report
Kruisler, Did you now You and Franz Klammer was it?
latest report
clarky999,

I'll take your word for it. I don't do touring so I wouldn't know. I was referring only to marked pistes.

skid & slide,
No matter how many times I re-read your post, I still haven't got a clue what you're on about. Soz...
snow report
Kruisler wrote:
clarky999,

I'll take your word for it. I don't do touring so I wouldn't know. I was referring only to marked pistes.

skid & slide,
No matter how many times I re-read your post, I still haven't got a clue what you're on about. Soz...

He is referring to the fact that you said "It was perfect for me teaching myself to board, but on skis I had it covered in a day or two..".

I think he was taking what you said literally as meaning you had skied all the runs in a day or two.

Which with 280 or so KM of them would need the speed of Klammer Smile
ski holidays
alex_heney,

Thanks. Smile

There's something to be said for correct spelling and punctuation! Laughing
snow report
skid & slide,
you not talking then
where you going in jan
your ole skiing partener from panorama
regards
paul
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy