Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Night skiing at Hillend, Edinburgh

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Managed to make it up to Hillend last night for the first proper turns of the season... Bus to Fairmilehead (bus stop next to Edinburgh City Bypass) then hike up to the Midlothian Snowsports Centre turned out to be well worth it for the snowsports that was on offer!

There was a LOT of snow. Soft, light, powdery, on piste, off piste, even further off piste, and i even managed to ski under the light of the moon home across Lothianburn and Swanston golf courses at the end of the night.

I got there around 6.30pm and stayed until last lift. There must have been around 100 people on the hill but it was never crowded. There were routes down the hill everywhere. Lots of kids up as well. Wish i had got up earlier for some fresh tracks, but what was on offer was a delight to ski on for it being Hillend! Only downside was the middle of the usual run in the steep pitch at the top where the matt was beginning to show through at the end of the night due to snow being scraped away.

Managed to give my Hardsides a good work out and as far as i could tell, they are even more versatile than my old Xplorers! They handled all of the snow and slope conditions very well. Never going to be as quick turning as a slalom ski, but for the kind of skiing i do, they were perfect, and they were great in the virgin 3ft powder stash round the back of the trees and into the field from the top of the chairlift. More float, no nose tip dive due to the rocker and very manouverable... so glad i've got them!

My skiing was a bit rusty to start with, but i soon got the legs going into ski mode again and loved it.

Anyway, here's a few pics from last night that i took on my crappy phone camera - not the best quality shots, but you get the idea.

A great start to my ski season Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should have said as well, i managed to ski all the way back down to the Oxgangs area of Edinburgh at the end of the night, then hiked the rest of the way back to Craiglockhart. Bit of nordic style skiing with the Barons in skinning mode towards the end. A lot of effort, but worth the reward. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, niiiice! looks and sounds like you had a fab time snowHead .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
As said, very nice - thanks for posting up the pics snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy