Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mixed ability question about ski lessons - from a boarder

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm arranging for 11 of our close friends to go to Les Deux Alpes in March. Being a boarder I'm not to familiar with ski lessons and how well mixed abilities cope together.

We have only one absolute beginner and about 5 second weekers. If I arrange a group lesson for them all together will the beginner be too far behind to enjoy it/second weekers held up too much by the beginner?

Don't want the beginner to be put off by being off on her own, but don't want the second weekers being frustrated at lost ski time either.

Also, how much lesson time do beginners/second weekers need? Not a wealthy group so all day, every day is not realistic.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ishay, don't do it. Mixed ability groups can work, but not if it includes a complete beginner.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
ishay, don't do it. Mixed ability groups can work, but not if it includes a complete beginner.

+1
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ishay wrote:
Also, how much lesson time do beginners/second weekers need? Not a wealthy group so all day, every day is not realistic.

It's difficult to say but generally half day lessons would be sufficient. This would then give you time to learn and time to practice what you have learned.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The learning curve for skiing tends to be quite steep at the start and then flattens off after 4-5 weeks on the snow. So there is a large difference between a complete novice (i.e. someone who hasn't even put on a pair of skis before) and someone who has had 1 weeks experience. So, unless the 2nd weekers didn't really take to it easily the first time round I think it would be very unfair to put them in the group with the novice. And on the same note demoralising to put the newb in with a group of people have skied before.

I would recommend some time in a fridge before hand though. There would be nothing worse than arriving on holiday and realising you're a slow learner and having to spend all week on the training slopes.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ishay, I'd strongly agree you can't have complet beginnerwith second weekers. What kind of lessons? If private, would have to be separately with the beginner on her own. They could join in group lessons, of course - far cheaper. If you're interested in private lessons, maybe conbtact Charlotte Swift through easiski.com - she might be fully booked but would give you the best advice, anyway.

Yes, lessons in a fridge are an excellenbt idea - but expensive!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
... but expensive!

Are they? I compare prices and hour-by-hour I don't see that there is a huge difference, especially when you factor in the cost of lift passes. Obviously you are not comparing like with like, but in terms of paying for the time of the instructor I don't see there is a huge difference in price.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If the beginner is very fit and sporty - with a good attitude to pushing themself, and had 10-12 hours of lessons in a fridge beforehand, you could consider it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, Cost of lessons depends on the resort obviously, and time of year. But off peak private lessons in Les Saisies for 2 people x 2 hours = 54 euros. 79 in the February holidays. Skiing on holiday is extremely expensive too, but if you've pushed the boat out on a week's holiday, that probably means you can't really spare too much for lessons beforehand. And you already have your gear, and your lift pass.
I'm not suggesting that the lessons in a fridge aren't good value for what you get, or a good idea - but they are a significant item on top of holiday costs.

Quote:
If the beginner is very fit and sporty - with a good attitude to pushing themself, and had 10-12 hours of lessons in a fridge beforehand, you could consider it.

Yes - I'd agree with that. Indeed, given those attributes, 6 lessons in a fridge could well bring them well up to the standard of the average second weeker. I've seen some VERY fast learners. But some VERY slow learners too. Partly a matter of natural athletic ability but also hugely dependent on attitude.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
... off peak private lessons in Les Saisies for 2 people x 2 hours = 54 euros. 79 in the February holidays.

Plus the cost of the lift pass.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
rob@rar, Cost of lessons depends on the resort obviously, and time of year. But off peak private lessons in Les Saisies for 2 people x 2 hours = 54 euros. 79 in the February holidays. Skiing on holiday is extremely expensive too, but if you've pushed the boat out on a week's holiday, that probably means you can't really spare too much for lessons beforehand. And you already have your gear, and your lift pass.
I'm not suggesting that the lessons in a fridge aren't good value for what you get, or a good idea - but they are a significant item on top of holiday costs.

Quote:

Yes - I'd agree with that. Indeed, given those attributes, 6 lessons in a fridge could well bring them well up to the standard of the average second weeker. I've seen some VERY fast learners. But some VERY slow learners too. Partly a matter of natural athletic ability but also hugely dependent on attitude.

Does not have to be a Fridge! There are a few Dryslopes left!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Plus the cost of the lift pass.

But anyone on holiday for a week will have a lift pass anyway. And skis and boots. It IS a significant extra cost to do lessons in the UK before leaving, but well worth it if the budget allows.

scooby_simon, yes indeed. My niece's 7 year old lad had his first lesson on a dry slope near Weymouth last week - absolutely loved it, and got on v well. Tough, well motivated, people will get on fine with dry slopes - I've had quite a lot of lessons on dry slopes ( including one with no lift - v good for the leg muscles wink ) but some people can be put off by them. Need to know the individuals to recommend a dry slope, I think.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scooby_simon wrote:
pam w wrote:

Quote:

Does not have to be a Fridge! There are a few Dryslopes left!

Yeah bit dryslppes are shoite.

For the record, today I went up to Glen Shee with a couple of mates. Two complete beginners, one 2/3 weeker. After two hours all three were at very nearly the same standard - as the beginners were both very athletic and mentally strong - being grade 4 whitewater paddlers and fairly full=on climbers/mountainers.

Everyone is different, but fitness and general receptiveness to sports works wonders.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
Two complete beginners, one 2/3 weeker.

What slope did you put them on, and what sort of uplift, if any, did you use?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy