Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: South London/Surrey borders 01/12/10

Poster: A snowHead
Date: 30 November and 1 December 2010
Resort: Local Park and Local Public Golf Course, South London/Surrey Borders, UK
Transport to resort: By foot
Accommodation: Non ski-in, ski-out
Nearest Lift: None, strictly "hiking only" resorts

The full cream fat: So I wake up to a thin blanket of snow yesterday morning. "Oh," I think to myself. "This must be the 'heavy snow' the BBC have been warning us about for the last couple of weeks." and proceed to go to work, doing my usual rolling eyes at Londoners inability to deal with more than one flake of snow.

But Ullr continues to rain down his blessings over the course of the day. "YES!" I think to myself halfway through the day (in typical snowHead fashion), "This means it'll have settled in the local parks!" (and all that walking around the area I've done over the last ~8 months, under the auspices of "keeping fit" but actually scoping out all the local hills, will now bear fruit.)

So off I go, watching the collected flakes on the many (many, many, how many bloody stops 'til I get home?!) platforms that are passed on the train I'm heading home on. I have to enjoy every moment though, cos this shred-head doesn't get her fix of freshies often enough. I get in, change into my snow gear, set up my bindings on my board and get ready to go SHRED!

I get
a) loads of smiles,
b) some weird looks,
c) "funny" comments like "It's a shame you can't go uphill with that!",
d) some bloke nearly falling over cos he's on his phone and, upon seeing me, exclaims to his mate on the other end of the conversation "That's SIIIICK! She's got a snowboard out!" (Er, ok dude Laughing but you may wanna watch where you're walking next time)
along the way.

So I hike over to the "Hill piste" at the Local Public Park Resort. It turns out to be a pastel greeny-blue bowl, with quite a large, (very) flat base area, so after all of ~8 seconds of riding, I'm unstrapping and hiking back up the slope. Woohoo? The adrenalin is now wearing off, and my calf muscles are aching from this random onslaught of exercise, and of course, I've tied my boots too tight. Oh, and in my enthusiasm, I also set my board up the wrong way around. But it doesn't matter, cos I got my shred on. Not long after, unsurprisingly, I'm shattered and head back home, taking some pics along the way.

Random tree trunk covered in wind-blown snow in the local park (all pics were taken with my camera phone, so they're mostly a bit 5h1t)

snow covered branches on a tree close to home

"scientific" snow measurement

I wake up to a thick(ish) layer of snow covering the area again this morning. "Woohoo!" is my first thought. "A snow day." So I do all the work I need to do (like the good person I am) and get kitted up for another local resort hike. This time, I've ensured I've set my bindings up correctly!

Fresh snow has fallen overnight, so the going is easier than the slightly icy experience of last night (many cars stuck on hilly roads; one poor guy had to reverse all the way down a steep road cos a van decided he had right of way, even though he was overtaking parked cars on his side of the road, and three people tail-gated him).

I hike up to the Local Public Golf Course Resort, meeting and greeting rosy-cheeked sledders along the way. Apparently the red piste called "Hole 18" is a good one to think about.

Some delightful flora along the way

On my way to the Golf Course Resort

A snowy glade I had to pass through

I head in the general direction of "Hole 18", and can soon hear the squeals of delight coming from the area I am aiming for. I'm not surprised why when I get there. About 10 species of local fauna in the shape of "teenagers" have been given the day off school and are having a snowball fight on one end of the wide piste...

Whilst on the other, a group of about 10 sledders are tying themselves together to race down the slope altogether.

It's not a bad slope at all, as it turns out (this is the lower half of a double-dip, the top half shows the groups of local fauna in the pics above)

I enjoy some fantastic riding, even managing to get a little air time. I finish the afternoon slope time as a beautiful pink and green sunset appears across the sky

But realise that there's so much fresh powder left, I can't find my board

Good thing I ride with it attached to my feet wink!

I hike back home past some lovely snow-laden branches

And sighted my first house showing some "Xmassy lights" (yes, I know, but it is 1st December today, so I'll let it go.)

No flask of gluhwein awaiting my return, so I switch on the kettle for a good cuppa as my apres instead. Yeeeees. That. Felt. Good.

Now let's hope the snow doesn't mess up my journey to Heathrow and my flight off-on-holiday on Friday morning. Shocked Eek!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice report. snowHead

What were the queues for the lifts like?
Price in euros for a pint?
I'm assuming it was DIY and not with a TO?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
were you wearing a helmet
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, thanks.

there weren't any lifts, so there were no lift queues. that's the beauty of a hiking-only resort. brings to mind thoughts of alaska, no? (though when i hit the second resort and heard the squeals i was rather bracing myself for half-term type terrors.)

i did have to wait a couple of times before i had a clear piste below me, as we all know from adhering to the slider's code, "the person below you on the slope has right of way".

even though i did not make use of the resort facilities - i heard whispers of "there's a cafe! can you believe it? and it's open. the season hasn't even started yet!" - i do think that a pint wouldn't cost any more than it would in any pub in the south of england (around £3 or €3.60?)

it was definitely a DIY jobbie. i think the "notice period" was a leeeetle too short for TO's to arrange something this good.

bertie bassett, we'll have no talk of helmets here. (but only cos mine's already packed and ready to go on holiday on friday, along with the knee pads and impact shorts Laughing.)

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 2-12-10 0:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sherlock235, great TR! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, Laughing ta.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trying to think of hilly public golf courses in that area.

Two at New Addington. Private courses might have better hills though. Coombe Wood, Coombe Hill, Purley Downs? Chipstead? Tyrells Wood, Betchworth? (too far outside London)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Latchico, keep guessing... private courses won't always let the public onto them on days like today and yesterday.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The Oaks, Chessington, Epsom, Richmond Park, Hoebridge, Reigate, Dorking ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Coulsden Court?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oooh, you may have hit on one of those attempts. for now it remains a "secret spot" Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sherlock235, Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
well it isn't dorking and betchworth. Your house looks as though it is in purley but then if you say north surrey maybe it is chessington way.

Masses of snow overnight in Surrey. Head to box hill if you have a pair of skis although don't rely on southern trains or first great western to get you there as there are no trains on their lines. South west trains rumoured to be working.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I had snow tyres on the Golf I'd be off to Box Hill in a flash. Richmond's not yet got a skiable depth of snow and trains are running to work so looks like I won't be making any more local turns in 2010 just yet.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anyone checked out Boxhill, Ranmore, the Nower yet? Stuck working at home in Dorking so might be tempted to get the skis out and head for the hills
latest report
snowymum wrote:
well it isn't dorking and betchworth. Your house looks as though it is in purley but then if you say north surrey maybe it is chessington way.

Masses of snow overnight in Surrey. Head to box hill if you have a pair of skis although don't rely on southern trains or first great western to get you there as there are no trains on their lines. South west trains rumoured to be working.

Could be The Oaks. It is public the park is next to it and the houses look a bit Carshaltonish.
snow conditions
philipb, that's a lot further south than i am, so i have no idea, sorry.

go get your shred on if there's enough snow and you're at home!
ski holidays
i wish i had some old skis
ski holidays
@ blockhead: I bought a £6 snowboard off ebay months ago in the hopes of a London day like today. Toofy Grin

by wonderful (completely non-snow related) coincidence I have the afternoon off as well, so with a bit of juggling this afternoon might be a good one. Madeye-Smiley any suggestions for some powder near-ish to Clapham / Balham / Tooting? I think the commons around there perhaps too flat. or somewhere I can reach within 10 mins or so?
snow report
thats just grand I officialy feel miserable now i suppose theres always the old sledge if i can get it off the kids
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy