Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Google driving times

Poster: A snowHead
Okay, I have used Google to calculate driving times and distances from Calais to ski resorts within 500 miles as the crow flies.

Here is a selection:

Flaine 7:46
Les Gets 7:53
Chamonix 7:54
Gstaad 8:29
Alpe D Huez 8:33
Meribel 8:36
Courchevel 8:39
La Rosiere 8:53
Tignes 9:08

Having never driven to any of these resorts from Calais, are they at least indicative (conditions permitting) or no use to anyone?

Full list here
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MoodyFFS, Calais to Montalbert 8 hours Very Happy Have done it half hour less and 4 hours more!
Rebbeccay just took 8.5 hours to do the Lyon to Montalbert bit Skullie
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66762&start=80#1652951

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 1-12-10 20:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, I did add a conditions permitting clause Laughing but is it useful as a guide do you think?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MoodyFFS, Yeah Laughing I usually find google in the UK is a bit conservative Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MoodyFFS, a good guide yes.... can you do it quicker? yes! can it take longer? yes!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I think they are pretty good assuming good weather and no traffic problems. Of course, the actual time also depends on how many stops and how long they are. When I'm on my own they are few and brief, but any passengers can slow me down.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry nothing to do with driving to france but on google maps enter start destination Japn end destination China and check out the directions for point 43 it is hilarious
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richiavo, Laughing Laughing

Cham was 7 hours, Tignes is 8 1/2 hours. That's with clear roads/tolls and cruise control on 85-90mph.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
is that legal
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No.

Limit is 85mph (130kmh) if the weather is good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
these are very good times and raises the question whether to fly or drive
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Calais to the Alps as the crow flies? What are you using, a jet pack?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dr John, Laughing that was just to restrict the number it returned! Calais to Bulgaria seemed an unlikely route Smile althought admittedly cos it's shoite Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
10hrs 17mins to Livigno Laughing The transfer from Bergamo takes 4.5........ Laughing

MoodyFFS, only driven to La Ros from your list and that seems about right.....with stopping...... Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The first three are about right in great conditions but safer to add an hour. It has been said on here before but beware the dangers of thinking 130kph is 85mph - its not. Its more like 81mph. Not that big a deal but French motorway police having a bad day might think differently.
ski holidays
With all those resorts that take less time to drive to than La Rosiere it begs the question 'why would anyone go?!' Toofy Grin
ski holidays
ian999 said,
Quote:

It has been said on here before but beware the dangers of thinking 130kph is 85mph - its not. Its more like 81mph.

Fair point but car speedos tend to be optimistic. My old Passat indicated approx 5mph faster than registered on my TomTom so there is some wriggle room.

Not calibrated my new motor yet but it is worthwhile as you can creep past everyone on the average speed check sections of the motorways... Very Happy
ski holidays
I'd say some of those are a bit optimistic.

We do Calais - Sainte Foy (very close to La Rosiere) fairly regularly and 10hrs is good going. That's with 2 drivers, swapping every 2 hours, minimal stops. Fairly heavy right foot, but French plates!

If I had a pre-booked ferry to catch, I'd allow 12 hrs.
snow report
stevomcd, so should i display them with some suitable caveats such as conditions, stops, speed limits etc would most think they were purely indicative? Given the exact conditions for any trip could never be known?
ski holidays
Those times, though, don't take into account

Petrol Stops
Nappy Change stops
Fag breaks
Wankbreaks
Car Sickness stops
Driver change stops
Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
Snowchain stops
Booze shopping
Re-arrange-the-kids-cos-they're-fighting-breaks
Re-fit beam bender breaks
Red bull breaks

Or any other host of things. Guess what? You factor them into your trip and then probably add a bit to be on the "safe side" rolling eyes
ski holidays
you might as well do it proper
latest report
Chasseur, not really sure what to make of that! Smile

blockhead, drive each route and time it? Making sure to take into account:

Quote:
Petrol Stops
Nappy Change stops
Fag breaks
Wankbreaks (??)
Car Sickness stops
Driver change stops
Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner
Snowchain stops
Booze shopping
Re-arrange-the-kids-cos-they're-fighting-breaks
Re-fit beam bender breaks
Red bull breaks

Laughing
snow conditions
I had a friend called Andy Wonkbrake, years ago.

I once rang up his place of work to ask to speak to him, the conversation went along the lines of

Me " excuse me i would like to speak to Andy Wonkbrake please "

Young receptionist " Pardon "

Me " Do you have a Wonkbrake working there "

Young receptionist " Wonkbrake, we don't even get an effing fag break " Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 2-12-10 18:12; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Timbobaggins, Laughing Laughing
snow report
On a serious note have driven from Calais to La Toussuire in 8 and a half hours with one fuel, leg stretch stop.

and from Val Cenis to Calais in 9 with again one stop Lewis hamilton strategy
snow report
Nothing to do with times but just found this site with useful winter driving tips - http://www.drivingfast.net/techniques/winter-driving-techniques.htm
snow report
Google map directions are accurate to the nearest 10 mile I would say.

Before it I used Mircrosoft Autoroute and I couldn't the difference between the two or with my current Tom Tom.

The Google or Autoroute or any Sat Nav device only gives the on-road driving without any break, no stop for fuel, toilet, meals etc. One has to add these on top.
snow report
Quote:

The Google or Autoroute or any Sat Nav device only gives the on-road driving without any break, no stop for fuel, toilet, meals etc. One has to add these on top.

An important point which some of the posts above seem to overlook!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

An important point which some of the posts above seem to overlook!

Quite!
snow conditions
MoodyFFS wrote:
Chasseur, not really sure what to make of that! Smile

Sorry, MoodyFFS nothing personal. Was just trying to be as inclusive as possible. The vast majority of open/lurker snowHeads are, I'm sure, thoroughly decent, upright, normal folk who could manage a 10 hour trip without resorting to type...... Laughing
ski holidays
The fastest trip we ever did was Calais to Geneva in 7 hours, and on to Nendaz in 9 hours total. That was on empty roads, ideal weather, and very few stops. The trip back was 10 hours. We always book the tunnel for an estimated "best time," and if we arrive late, we usually get on the next one 20 minutes later. We were caught out last year when we arrived at 2.30 am, to discover there's a 2 hour gap in departures from Calais between 02.00 and 04.00 Sad .

None of this is guaranteed. If you thrive on the stress over deadline chasing, go for it. If you don't, allow plenty of time. If your family can't cope with the stress, tell them you've booked a later crossing than you really have and still go for it! Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy