Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Tuning/Service advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I was wondering if anyone can provide me with some advice on ski tuning.

I am currently skiing on a pair of fischer RX8 - used for 3 month skiing in Canada and a few holidays - ive had them serviced about 7 times.

Im a CSIA level 2 instructor, and ski extremly hard and recently the ski is just doesnt hold as well as it used to in Canada. I had them serviced about 7 times andd at an average UK store, which probably just stuck them through a machine and im about to go on holiday again and im wondering what to ask for to bring them to get the edges extremely sharp again.

I have found a store that offers the following service

FROM STORE
* Sharpen and de-tune edges,
* Base grind to clean & refresh the base and open pores,
* Performance wax and polish
* filling and grinding

"We pride ourselves on being able to fix just about anything, so please come in or give us a call if you have some specific queries or requirements. We also offer a customised tuning service to suit your style of riding, whether a jib-specific de-tune, or razor-sharp freeriding or race tune"

Ive read that some people think skiis shouldnt be de-tuned - really not sure what this means anyway, and ive also read about degree side edge being 2 or 3 degrees. I just want the skiis to grip as as well as they used through hard carving turns.

So my question is just what should I ask the ski store to do when I get them serviced. Ill probably try and learn to home service them in future but i dont have time for that just now.

I also know i should know how to tune my skiis being an instructor, but in canada where i qualified i always just had them serviced by a really good store which seemed to keep them on top form.

Any advice is much appreciated, and hopefully there will be someone that knows what they are speaking about,

Ben
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know anything about "jib-specific de-tune" presumably its for grinding rails.

Current practice is to sharpen edges right along the length. Previously it was the practice to de-tune the tips and tails for 15-20 cm. This was to reduce hooking, and was/is also useful when side slipping on very steep icy pitches to prevent the tips and tails catching.

My personal view is to keep side angles the same as manufactured, however expert skiers and racers will often increase the angle a degree or two to improve bite particularly in icy conditions. IMHO its not a good idea to keep altering angles, indeed base angle can only be increased without a base grind to correct it.

There is no reason why edges can't be keep as good as new or even better. When I preped my daughters race skis they arrived from the factory with the edges unsharpened. One thing that may have happened to your skis is the base has lost its flatness. Take them to a good tech to sort them out, then learn to DIY.

Spyderjon should be along to advise, now he really does know his stuff.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Fischer RX8's have base and edge angles of 1 and 3(89 - 87). I can quite honestly say that a hand tune would do a much better job. If I was getting the angles done at a shop I would be getting the shop to state that the machine they use will be adjusted to the ski and they dont just whack it through on a one size fits all setting. As jbob states , there is no reason why the edges cant be kept sharp , a wee side edge tool and a couple of diamond files , say 100 and 400 grade then after each day or two's skiing , run the diamond file down each edge 4 times , not with any great pressure either(use some snow to lubruicate the file) and they will be kept in tip top condition , I very rarely touch the base edge unless reparing some damage.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the advice, i think it was just a bad tuning place I went to last time - quite difficult to find a decent place here in Edinburgh but i think ive found a store that looks to be pretty good so I will call them later and see what they can do.

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
benyboy2005, to keep the edges in good nick, you only need an edge guide and a couple of diamond stones. I'd invest in those if I were you; you'll end up with a better tune than any machine would give you.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy