Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Carte Neige for the Season

Poster: A snowHead
It's been said that a Doctors note may required to buy Carte Neige this season, anyone heard of that??
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I bought my Carte Neige at the same time as my Paradiski pass. All done online, no need for Doctor's note.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, They wouldn't let me buy carte neige form Edenski.. said I had to buy it 'in the office in the resort'..?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
allanm, my daughter was told she needed a doctors note last year for season insurance, she joined Club Alpin français and got coved automatically by them, cost about 80 euro.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
allanm, depends where you buy it from. ESF La Tour wanted a note, ESF CHamonix didn't... Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
allanm, we got ours from the ESF office in 2Alpes on Saturday, no-one asked for anything other than money. Get it online here: http://www2.ffs.fr/carteneige/online Assurance Loisirs includes repatriation to your nearest hospital if required, Option Primo just dumps you in the hospital nearest resort.

Annoyingly, it seems to be quite a bit cheaper online.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard wrote:
Annoyingly, it seems to be quite a bit cheaper online.

That does seem cheaper. I paid €58 through the Les Arcs lift pass office (and similar amounts for the last few years in Tignes).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard, Cheers for the link. Any idea what the 'CHOISISSEZ UN CLUB' is all about on the website?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
allanm, I think it asks you to nominate a ski club (eg the Les Arcs Ski Race Club) as a proportion of the Carte Neige premium goes to support ski racing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can someone remind me of the benefits again?

Is it an alternative to winter sports insurance that means no up front costs? Does it cover off piste accidents?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry to sidetrack but I'm with bar_shaker here. I always add carte neige to my ski pass for my weeks skiing holiday on the basis that it's only another tenner and I have complete peace of mind for getting off the mountain (without having to reclaim any costs for being stretchered off, etc. through my insurance company - at least I think this is what it entitles me to?). In this case, do I need to have winter sports insurance (presuming no off piste, etc.)? Or does winter sports insurance kick in when I have to buy a new flight as my leg is tied to a stirrup above a hospital bed?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker, cover details in English here: http://www.ffs.fr/pdf/carteneige/FFScn-assurance-10-11-en.pdf

It's not an adequate alternative to wintersports insurance for a foreign visitor.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
michaelf, you have never added Carte Neige to your lift pass - it's an annual insurance available through the FFS. Insurance bought at the ticket window is something else.

You don't 'need' to have wintersports insurance at all, but if you decide against it you will be reliant on your EHIC for medical cover and will pay 30% of any costs incurred. Which could be a lot if you ruptured your knee ligaments or broke your back.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, we paid 54€ in 2Alpes. Bit bizarre, I shall get it online next time.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard wrote:
michaelf, you have never added Carte Neige to your lift pass - it's an annual insurance available through the FFS. Insurance bought at the ticket window is something else.

Isn't that something else Carre Neige, which has approximately the same levels of cover?
snow conditions
rob@rar, usually Carré Neige or Assur'Glisse, depending on resort.

http://www.carreneige.com/en/index.php
http://www.assuranceski.com/accueil.html
snow report
There is loads about the carte neige and carrie neige on the thread,

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=60076&start=200

Lizzard, sorry but do not agree, if you have EHIC and you only need rescue and basic medical, rep, equipment etc, etc. Then these two combined work very well. Just depends what you need so people do not need to forget about it. I think it is very good for me anyway and so do quite a few of my friends.

Anyone wondering how it works in reality, take a look at the link I just gave. Then make up your own minds, it is not for everyone I will agree.

Lizzard, The reason it costs more in resort is because the price it says in the T and C's is without the bit for the local ski clubs or resort added on. If you by it on-line you can save a little, but not much. Maybe 10 Euros, as the extra goes to the club you sign up against, but it is good to support the local club if you are based in one place all season.

rob@rar, this gives much the same as the carte neige, but you can buy it with your lift pass in most resorts in our area. There is also the Carre neige liberty which is for the season, but you have to buy the Ski a la carte ticket as well.

More details of all these also on my facebook group.
snow report
I have the LTSB Premier travel policy (provided by Axa) that seems to cover everything this would provide.

Thanks for the link.
latest report
Quote:

if you have EHIC and you only need rescue and basic medical, rep, equipment etc, etc. Then these two combined work very well.

I've never said they didn't work, just that if you need any more than basic medical treatment you can find yourself with a big bill. It's entirely up to you whether or not you want to take that risk.
latest report
When you sign up on line you get...

Quote:
Je certifie être en possession d’un certificat médical attestant de l’absence de contre indication à la pratique du ski et je m’engage à le faire parvenir dans un délai de quinze jours au service Vie Fédérale de la FFS, 50 rue des Marquisats, BP 2451, 74011 Annecy cedex

Which, according to google, basically means you have to send them a 'Doctor's note' within 15 days.... or you're not issured??
ski holidays
allanm, Hmm. I buy mine from the Club des Sports locally and there's never been any mention of that.
snow conditions
So snowcrazy, as far as you are aware if I am skiing in France and buy 'carre neige' and carry my EHIC I am covered for all rescue and injury? Obviously winter sports cover also covers for mountain closure, lost skis, etc. but I am not fussed about this stuff, my primary concern is recovery from injury.
ski holidays
michaelf, you could find neither covers you if you get carted off to a fancy private facility. And I guess you might have to shell out upfront for things which might ultimately be reimbursed through EHIC.
snow report
michaelf, No, you are NOT. Carré Neige covers you for piste rescue and transport to the nearest medical facility. Your EHIC card MAY cover you for 70% of medical expenses (depending on the treating medical facility, whether it's state or privately run etc etc). It will not cover 100% of your treatment, and you may be asked to pay the full cost up front before claiming it back from the NHS (or whoever it is these days) yourself.
snow conditions
re editing this wait please
snow conditions
Lizzard, have you ever claimed with you CN as the details you are giving are not correct. I shall show it worked last season in a moment.
snow conditions
Quote:

If you have carre neige, then they accept it in all local private clinics up to the limit of the cover

That's not so. Your experience was unusual - normally you would have to pay for anything not covered by your EHIC (assuming the clinic accepts the EHIC, which many don't), and you then have to claim that back from Carré Neige. You also have to furnish them with evidence of how much the treatment cost in the first place, how much you paid and how much you've been reimbursed via the EHIC.

It works for a foreign visitor, as you say, but it can be complicated, long-winded and very expensive in the short to medium term. You are also likely to find yourself trying to communicate with them in French, which is less than ideal for your average holiday skier. So I still say it's not an adequate alternative.
snow report
OK, michaelf, this is how it worked last season. These are facts based on a real accidents that two different people had and how it was dealt with. Plus me a while ago. For anyone reading this the Carte neige and the Carre Neige work in a very similar way when you need to use them. One is for season use, the other for daily. They both cover more or less the same thing but you do need to read the small print as always.

1) You are covered for all rescue costs, no question including helicopter if needed with CN on or off piste which is why I like it so much. You do not have to pay anything for this up front. Depending on how bad you are they may ask what insurance you have right there on the mountain, but they will help you even if you have none, in France at least.

2) Once they get you to the private ambulance or private clinic in resort. Again, depending on how bad you are, they may ask for insurance details or just get on with what is needed. If you are able to, it is better to tell them you have CN and the EHIC as they know what these covers. Make sure you tell them you only want treatment and medicine that comes within this cover.

3) If you are walking wounded and are only treated right there in the medical centre which in most resorts are private, then you will have to pay for all medicine you need. If the cost of treatment is less than 3500Euros then the CN and EHIC card cover everything and you may or may not have to pay up front and claim back. I was lucky a few years back. They dealt with the CN people direct and I did not have to pay anything.

4) Where it gets more complicated is when you have to then be taken to a hospital in a town. This is a private transfer and you may have to pay something up front if you are walking wounded. If it is an emergency they just get on with it and worry about the money later (duty of care and all that).

5) If you end up in hospital, overnight, after 24hrs, you only pay 80euros per night total, for as long as you are there, the rest is shared between the CN and EHIC. It is in fact very hard to use up the total CN limit in a 'state hospital'. One person I know had a broken back and another severe damage to there leg and neither had to pay out for large bills. Both were medivac home as well by CN.

These details are a brief summary of what actually happened to two people plus me a while ago. So, no it should not cost you much if you use the CN and the EHIC, but you can always be unlucky.

I do agree with Lizzard that it is complicated and a hassle. There are a lot of forms and you have to be willing to deal with the French system.

But it does work and they do a good job. You will get any money you paid out back in the end. If you are on a budget or out for a season, it is a very good option. I do not think I was that lucky as it was a similar case with others I have spoken to about this. It depends more on the resort and the policy of the clinic.

The full report is on my facebook group page, link below if you want to read it.

Hope that makes it all clearer. Remember at the end of the day you must make up your own mind if you can deal with the hassle to save the money. Card Neige is about 45 -65 per season depending on resort this year and carre neige is about 2.50Euros per day when you buy your lift pass.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 1-12-10 19:25; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
5) If you end up in hospital, overnight, after 24hrs, you only pay 80euros per night total

snowcrazy, I wouldn't describe paying 80euros a night as "only". If that's a possibility, then that's enough to convince me to take out UK winter sports insurance as no way could I afford 80euros a night for long.
snow conditions
and if I was injured and in pain I also wouldn't want to be arguing with my rescuers (in French...) about whether the facility they are taking me to, or to which I'm being sent on, is going to be covered under CN.

I have both - season CN AND a good insurance policy.
ski holidays
blizt, I know what you mean, but that is the chance you must take. Remember, that 80 euros will come out of the 3500Euros allowed by CN until it is all spent. So it might not cost you anything.

Some people I know use CN and then they have the free travel insurance policy with there banks to make up any difference and that seems to work well. I have private medical/travel so use the CN for the rescue part nowdays. But when younger and poorer, the CN and old E111 was all I had for many seasons and I managed. Makes you careful Toofy Grin

pam w, I guess nowdays we both do the same thing, but a lot of students do not like to pay 200 - 300 for a season insurance so rather than them having nothing, this is a good cheaper option for someone out for a season or a few days. I fell into that group some years ago and have used it ever since. Saved myself a fortune.

Nearly forgot, Allanm, thanks for saying about the doctors note, that is the first I have ever heard of it. I shall be interested to see when I get mine at the weekend.
ski holidays
allanm, Like Rob, we've bought our Carte Neige with our season passes on the Nirvanalps site. It cast 57euros, IIRC. Last year we had to buy it at the ticket office in resort, but we've never needed a doctors note Confused
latest report
genepi, rob@rar, So there's definately nothing in the small print of the T&C's you received with the Carte Neige that says you have to (or 'promise to') forward a doctors note?....
snow report
Glad that's cleared so and I am much better off with my existing insurance.
latest report
allanm, not that I spotted, but I confess I didn't look in any detail. It arrived with my skipass and looked exactly like the floppy credit card sized thing I've had for the last few years.
snow report
bar shaker wrote:
Glad that's cleared so and I am much better off with my existing insurance.

I suppose it depends on how you define "much better off". I have both Carte Neige and an annual travel policy. It's fair to say that's a bit "belt 'n braces", but if I'm being evacuated off the hill the last thing I want to do is mess around with pre-payment, form-filling, phoning insurance company, etc. I just want to produce my Carte Neige policy and for that to be it. I've seen a couple of occasions when it was just too much hassle for the injured party without Carte Neige for me to worry about being a little bit over-insured.

The cost of the Carte Neige policy buys me lots of peace of mind, and for me I'm better off with it.
latest report
Hubby did not have to pay 80€ per night for his hospital stay, (although final bill was sorted by insurers) . I think it was around 16€ per night. There were no charges for the surgery, x-rays, medication or anything else he received at Grenoble hospital. I had to take EHIC card to the finance office who then dealt with the insurers.
The only other medical bills were one for 25€ from the GP in Monetier, and one from the Accident and Emergency unit at Briancon for around 160€ (MRI scan etc) which was also dealt with by insurers, who also reclaimed everything from DWP that could be (he had to complete a form for this).
This was for major cervical spine surgery and a weeks stay in hospital.
Of course, the ambulance transfer between hospitals had to be paid for, but ambulance service dealt directly with our British insurers, I never even saw the bill for that.
snow conditions
Hells Bells, I wonder how different it would have been if you'd just had EHIC?
snow conditions
pam w, no difference, the charges are posted on a notice board in the hospital entrance.
latest report
But they would probably have been more if we didn't have the EHIC>
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy