Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What age to get them started.

Poster: A snowHead
I know this can depend on the child and also which country you are visiting but whats a good time to start the 'bin lids' skiing?

I have a 3 year old (was 3 in Sept) and a 5 (year old) will be 6 in May.

Is this winter too soon for the youngest? He is tall for his age at 104cms and very outgoing,he says he wants to ski where as eldest daughter dosnt seem too keen but she also mixes well and goes to various clubs etc.

Any advice / experiences appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First skier in this video is was 3.5yo when taken, so your youngest can certainly start - assuming you can find a ski-school which will take them at that age.

http://youtube.com/v/I4pPlIh72Rs

We've found Austria is usually flexible about minimum ages. As long as they are fully toilet-trained they don't seem to have an issue with age.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Renry, yes, depends entirely on the child. If yours is keen to ski, that's a big part of the picture. My 4.5 year old grand son doesn't, though his big sister made a good start last year at 6. Depends a bit on weather, and the family environment too - decent weather and competent, relaxed, family members help - you often see rather incompetent parents faffing around trying to help kids and getting it wrong.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Our youngest started at 3 years and 3 months - but for an hour twice a day as part of a day care facility. The oldest started at 4 3/4 . Both loved it from the start. Depends on the kid, their motivation and coordination.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Renry, depends on each kid. My youngest started at 4 but probably not strong enough at that point. Big difference when he went the following year. My eldest only started at 8 but sure he would have been better aged 4 than my youngest as he was stronger at that age
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Both my girls started at 3 1/2, eldest moved to snowboarding age 5, youngest just turned 5 and had her first go on a board on Sunday (and loved it, in her words much better than skiing Wink)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8 save a fortune plus kids under say 5/6 often hate it anyway.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At that age, don't expect a lot of skiing to get done. Key is to make it fun which can include snowman making, etc. Will depend a lot with the kid, but just getting a feel for the equipment and walking on snow with skis is probably a good start. I have seen some programs that are basically day care/camp with an hour or so of skiing for kids that age. Pretty good thread over on Epic that discussed this recently http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/97398/best-strategy-to-teach-3-5-year-old-to-ski/
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
take em to a snow dome for a few lessons to see how they get on before investing in an expensive family ski holiday... or take em to a dry slope to see just how keen they really are... wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My youngest child started skiing on her 3rd birthday and loved it but was just skiing straight down nursery slope (not turning). The older child was nearly 6 and did proper ski school. He was the more nervous of the two that holiday (nearly chewed his glove to pieces the first day) but by the end of the week had progressed a lot more and was skiing down the mountain on blues. Two holidays later he was on his first black. I therefore think this year would be a good year for you to think about taking your children on a family ski holiday.

When our children were 3 and 5 (holiday described above) we went to puy st vincent with snow bizz and I would recommend giving this company a try. They have a special ski class for 3/4 yr olds followed by creche. The lessons are very good.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
heres my two pence....

Both the ski schools that i've worked for the minium age is 3 (but parents like to lie....and i've taught 2yr olds before -very unsuccessfully) You have already won half the battle if your child is keen to ski!!! there are ways to cheat even if your child doesn't have the muscle strength to do his own snowplow (using edgie wedgies)

It always depends on the child. the best thing to do is put him in for a half day lesson and see if he likes it rather than chuck him in for the whole day! At that age the instructor should give him plenty of breaks and emphasis on having a fun day rather than just the skiing and then i'm sure he'll love it! Even if he just gets used to the skiing environment this year then he'll feel much more comfortable if you plan on going next year and should improve quicker. Just get him sliding!!!

if you can i would definatley recommmend getting a private lesson though for the young one! group lessons for 3 year olds i have taught are normally restricted to 3 in a lesson but i still think its too much. i've always found that the young ones need a LOT of one-on-one encouragement to keep them going. and it only takes one of the other children to start crying to make them all start crying!

i'm sure you'll have an awesome time! good luck! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry, Yes you can start with a 3 years old kid,, the age is no problem,, but take care,, I have seen parents,, more antusiastic than the kid,, if they want to ski,,, age is never a problem,,, Good Luck with to let your kid start i ski,,, he is proberly happy for that,,,
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Son first trip on ski's was when he was a month shy of 4 in 2009. We taught him ourselves 2-3 hours a day on free diddy slope. Then similar on long blues for last couple of days, with a bit of diddy slope to finish. Last year we did 2 trips, one at Xmas, one at Easter. At Xmas we also put the younger daughter who was 2 years and 5 months. She only did skied between the legs or with mummy/daddy skiing backwards holding her hands. The Easter trip she did a bit more, skiing on the pole.

I think your 3 years old will be OK to start. Of course it is limited to what can be attained. But I think it gives them a real headstart and they will benefit later. I have no scientific reasoning for this claim in relation to skiing but I know that is the few as regards education these days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry, my eldest was 4 in the August and then I took him the following Easter, which for us worked out absolutely perfect. He is fairly small for his age, but wiry and strong - with good legs from lots of cycling wink. Don't underestimate how physically demanding it is for them, so after lessons and lunch, literally one or two runs is plenty, and will probably take until 15.30 anyway !! This season ( March ), I'm taking my youngest who was 4 in Sept who hopefully will take to it as well the elsdest.

Good luck, and remember your ski trips will be different for a while, but in 3 or 4 years, you'll be struggling to catch up wink wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Renry, depends on you, the Mrs and the kids.

I posted this previously and it still stands.(it was about a family with a 2, 3 and 6year old)

Quote:
CHILDREN

There are a few things to think about.

1. The youngest is 2. THis means no skiing and creche (unless one of you stays in ). My wife perhaps unusually was still breast feeding our older boys till 2 and I am sure she will fed the next one a little till the same age. If you are then the exact layout of pistes/lifts and your hotel/chalet/creche is crucial. Some places are easy (Le Rossiere, Peisey and one hotel in Argentiere) some are a total Fitzwilliam (all of the rest of the Chamonix valley) others are just a pain (Val d'Isere). I suspect feeding is not a big issue for most - it should be mind. So - creche- our children were ok in creche and we were happy with all the TO creches we went to (Crystal, Mark WArner and Esprit). THey had all been either to a nursery or child minder in the UK before- some children are very distressed by creche and this can be a deal breaker. The 2 year old may feel a little left out - but thats life.

2. 4 year old- I am guessing your first ski holiday- so s/he can't ski. Will need to go to a ski garden/ marmottons type place. Is the child continent? This is a deal breaker. Can they go to the loo unaided? Will they take instructions in a group of strange kids from a strange man with a funny accent? How is their general coordination?

3. 6 year old- no real issues.

ADULTS

1. Cost- skiing with kids is very expensive. Peak weeks, lots of extra costs, new clothes, ski school etc etc etc etc etc etc etc. Really it is eye watering.

2. Can you cope with doing lots less skiing than normal? You will be forking out shed loads of money to go skiing- so you probably really like skiing- but you will not be able to do as much skiing as normal. You will not be out every day at 8.30- you will be back in good time to pick the kids up from creche (in Chamonix this might mean a taxi from Argentiere to Cham - €lots rather than the bus- free). THis can be stressful for skiing dads especially if they really want to go out early to ski off piste- but have to help get three kids in ski gear and off to ski school. Some couples don't cope with this well- typically with the bloke clearing off leaving a seething wife- to be repaid with interest later.

3. Do you really like skiing? If you are a bit not sure then you might have some problems. Firstly with the cost, then with 'going on holiday and putting the kids in childcare'.

4. Can you leave your kids to it? In creche- when they cry a bit. But also in ski school. Some parents hang around the ski gardens very anxiously - generally the ski instructors hate this.

5. Will your husband wearing ski boots and across icy paths carry 4 sets of skis several hundred meters ( after a night on beer) and still love you?

If think you can answer all these questions then yes- you can go on a family ski holiday with a 2, 4 and 6 year old and all have a good time

also

Quote:

and another- after consultation with domestic control

continence- not absolutely essential if a 4 yr old can be persuaded about the concept of the 'ski nappy' not a normal nappy at all- only worn for skiing- additional evidence found in any book about space- most have an illustration of astronauts underpants/nappies. Alternatively take 2 sets of ski clothes and embrace the concept of a 'hot leg'
snow report
Hi Renry,

At Crystal, children can begin skiing from 3yrs. In France - (Flaine & La Plagne 1800) - we offer our whizz kids inclusive package (6 x morning ski lessons, Crystal staff take kids to & from ski school, provide lunch & then the afternoon is time spent in the whizz kids club). In this instance both of your children could be together.

You can see more details here: http://goo.gl/n7kbm but yes it's possible for a 3yr old to begin on the snow.

Jon (Crystal Ski)
snow conditions
Jon Paget, all this is fine in principle- but ski instructors don't change wet pants!
snow report
my now 6yr old started on plastic skis at 2yrs 7mths and was just about able to ski down a nursery slope in control at the end of that holiday. he then followed that up the following season with some small turns but after that we didnt ski again after his sister was born due to her ill health. We've just come back from his second session of lessons on a dry slope and he's really enjoying it. You cannot believe the joy it brings watching you child enjoy something like skiing - even more so when diagnosed with ASD, i have to confess i had a tear in my eye this afternoon after he beautifully skied down following his instructor. Happy Roll on 20th Jan so we can go hit the snow snowHead
latest report
We started our littlest grand-daughter on the long road to skiing this week. She's 10 months old but we are delighted that she absolutely loves toboganning! Just gentle runs with no nasty rough big kids around. Though her grandmother did push her a bit too enthusiastically one time Embarassed and she ended up with a face full of snow. Still, once we'd dug all the snow out of her mouth and eyes she soon stopped screaming. wink Her older cousin absolutely loathed toboganning at about 20 months old - really disliked that "out of control" sensation and only started ski lessons (very cautiously, but ultimately successfully) last year at the age of 6. Kids vary so much.
snow report
LOL Pam, what are you like. The little slope just below the piste basher garages nr Lac is great for the kids to sledge too (L'aiglon?)
ski holidays
Attitude; maturity and full toilet trained are the critical ones.

We (at Welwyn) will take kids (officially from 3) when they are ready to take some sort of "guidance" within kindergarden environment; Toilet trained and want to ski; little ones will not do it if they do not want to!

We also expect a certain standard of behaviour in terms of being in a group and interacting with others; we run a ratio of 4:1 in kinder on a saturday morning and Richard and David do a fantastic job.

We also need to have parents that are well trained (so wil bug off for a coffee when they are not helping) wink

Once they are READY for instruction we will, in dicussion with parents, introduce them into our Junior Ski club development stream (officially at 5). We;ve had fantastic sucess over the years; we have kids who started in kinder now qualifed as instructors and / or racing in the summer.

We have some who stay in kinder for a year or more; and progress slowly having fun and some who "get it" and move onto the main slope and are now skiing from the top with some style.
ski holidays
Renry, I have an end of September birthday and started skiing when I was 3 so it's entirely possible, good ski schools will have nursery slopes near toilets etc. However it is important to emphasise that not only do the kids need to be properly toilet trained but they must let the teacher know in plenty of time that they need the toilet else accidents will ensue.

A good ski school will place the emphasis on fun for the youngest children rather than being all out instruction
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy