Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon snowtrip pant - what's softshell mean? Is it any good?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking at buying these very nice looking salopettes but they have so little information about them on the salomon site - very poor marketing! http://www.salomon.com/uk/product/snowtrip-pant-w.html#bas just wondering if anyone has bought any or has any idea what softshell means in practical terms. Do you need a base layer underneath for example?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's softer than hardshell...

Less waterproof, less windproof (usually) but more breathable and more warm if wind and water not involved. Depends on which fabric really.

I'm still not convinced about softshell for trousers - but others will probably disagree
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Softshell clothing is aimed high-exertion activity, where you'll be sweating lots and require more breathability than a 'waterproof' material.

I use softshell stuff for touring. IMO not so good 'traditional' piste-bashing type stuff. You can soon get wet sitting on chairlifts and drags.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks very useful! Not sure what I have now - they're not hard trousers! - but I was a bit cold last Jan in Meribel. I have wicking long johns which I'll probably just wear every day. Will waterproofing them with the wash in stuff make any difference to their wind/waterproofness do you think?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beccy83, washing the trousers or the long johns? I suspect little point in washing the latter in any technical wash type product.

The wash-in stuff will help resuscitate hard shell trousers waterproof surface treated layer, and if there is less surface wetting (different from water penetration which is dependent - in goretex type fabrics - on the fabric structure) you may get less cold wet/wind cooling effects.

If you feel the wind blow through your trousers (oooh matron Toofy Grin ) then you probably have softshell trousers and should only wash them with a product recommended by the manufacturer of that fabric. There are spray on treatments which may be suitable.

For warmth - think about merino leggings.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
beccy83, you make it sound like you where skiing in just long-johns ! Shocked

Softshell stuff isn't designed to keep you warm, but rather stop you overheating and building up sweat inside your clothing.
This can be a major problem with hardshell membrane/coating outwear such as GoreTex/SympaTex/eVent/etc when you're hard anaerobic work.

Sounds like you need a waterproof outer with an insulating layer underneath, either built in or something like fleece trousers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just found this thread as my wife is looking at these trousers. Reading the label Salomon state they are fully waterproof and breathable. There are so many variants of soft shell that it has become very hard to work out what is what!!

I agree the Salomon website is useless, no mention of breathability or waterproof figures/measurement!!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bumping this up as I would like to know if anyone has them, and how waterproof they actually are ie Do you end up wet sitting on a chairlift?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Gilly28, my wife bought a pair last year, seemed fine and she didn't complain about a wet bum one afternoon where rain turned to snow.....
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Kitenski,

I was hoping you'd reply as I saw earlier on this thread that she was thinking about them. I then saw a pic of your group skiing, and I was guessing the one with the Salomon jacket was your wife and it looked like soft shell pants. The jacket was the one I looked at last year (assuming I am looking at the right person!) and Go Outdoors had it at a really good price, but I didn't buy as was watching the dosh, but now I wish I had just got it. They also had some Salomon soft shell salopettes as well at the time, but I don't know which ones they were. No Salomon has turned up in Go Outdoors this year which is a pity.

I have bought a Trespass softshell jacket which looks quite nice, for £35, but again, just wary of getting away from the usual ski jacket, but as I am quite small, jackets are really long in the arms, and then bulk up in the arms when I tighten the cuff, but softshell doesn't look so bad. Have bought a hardshell out of Go Outdoors incase. Reading all the diff options people use on here has just made it harder! LOL!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gilly28, no that wasn't her, but the lady in question did have the Salomon softshell pants I think....
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've recently bought some softshell salopettes to replace my torn regular salopettes. I regularly feel too hot skiing (except my toes, they are usually numb with cold!), so I was hoping the breathability would be a bonus. Plus they are a much more flattering fit than the usual padded things (I'm quite a chunky lass!). Mine claim to be waterproof and windproof, but I've yet to put this to the test. I'm not so bothered about the waterproof thing, I'm not a snowboarder so I rarely sit on the snow.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia,

Hi, I've never been either too hot or too cold, esp on the legs, they are always fine, in normal style salopettes, even cheap ones. I had an O'Neill jacket previously and it was always warm enough, usually just wore a tshirt under, or if really cold like Canada, with a fleece as well, only time I would feel cold was maybe on an exposed long chair. I'm small, but not skinny, so finding something that doesn't make me look even bigger can be a struggle. The joys!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy