Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackets: What should I be looking for? Minimum

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a new snow jacket: Saw some stuff in TK Maxx. White Rock Snow Gear. Jacket waterproof 4000mm; Breathable 4000gm/m2/24; says it's windproof.

Has anybody had this brand and is it any good? Also: what are the minumum specs I should be looking for with regards to snow gear?

Thanks for your help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends what you want from it. If you're simply a holiday piste skier like me, pretty much any ski jacket will be fine, you simply buy on fit and budget. I have a Trespass ski jacket, cost me £40 and does the job perfectly. Features I look for are pockets, a fleecy lining and a hood. Windproof is probably a good thing, but I doubt waterproof is necessary unless you plan to wear your ski jacket in the UK when it's raining.

However, if you do a lot of ski touring/off-piste you would probably have far more technical requirements from a jacket.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have a Trespass jacket which cost me £60 and has done sterling service for 5 years and 8 weeks or so of skiing, and have just bought a second jacket - also Trespass. My old one has been comfortable in some nasty conditions (-20C, high winds etc) and will continue to be used as a backup for a longer trip next year - nights out in resort, etc.

Your waterproof/breathable numbers are at the lower end of the scale I think but should be fine for most trips. I look for a comfortable fit, plenty of pockets, a decent snowskirt and armpit zips for warmer days. Would certainly recommend Trespass as a brand.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
tinabf, as said above; it depends.

When it starts chucking it down with poor viz do you head for the hills or head for the bar?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This thread on Snowheads has lots of good information: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have some white rock ski stuff bought because it looks nice rather thanany other reason, but it does the job, but then its the weather gets really nasty I would be found inside with a hot chocolate rather than outside skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mrs Monium here. I have a White Rock jacket which I bought from Filarinskis midnight sale last year. I've worn it on 3 trips, one to Tignes last December where it withstood -35 at the top of the glacier quite happily, and has got me through everything from that to warm weather in Morzine last April. But then I'm not doing ski touring or off-piste, and I (mostly) stay upright... mind you, when Mr Monium decided we'd adventure through some trees between pistes and I promptly sank into 1.5m of snow, my jacket kept me nice and dry Very Happy

Mine has pit zips, a good snow skirt and enough pockets for what I need - though I do tend to carry a small backpack with me too.

So I'd give them the thumbs up - it's coming to Tignes with me again in a couple of weeks (though it desperately needs a wash...).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MrsMonium, give it a "wash" by just rolling around in some snow when you get there wink Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium wrote:
Mrs Monium here. I have a White Rock jacket which I bought from Filarinskis midnight sale last year. I've worn it on 3 trips, one to Tignes last December where it withstood -35 at the top of the glacier quite happily, and has got me through everything from that to warm weather in Morzine last April. But then I'm not doing ski touring or off-piste, and I (mostly) stay upright... mind you, when Mr Monium decided we'd adventure through some trees between pistes and I promptly sank into 1.5m of snow, my jacket kept me nice and dry Very Happy

Mine has pit zips, a good snow skirt and enough pockets for what I need - though I do tend to carry a small backpack with me too.

So I'd give them the thumbs up - it's coming to Tignes with me again in a couple of weeks (though it desperately needs a wash...).

Mrs Monium fails to mention that based on her jacket, Mr Monium bought one as well.

Good value, if it's in TK Maxx worth comparing the price to www.skiwear4less.co.uk as they were the place we got mine at a good price.

I'd buy another one. Not sure what the spec is on your jacket, but all the little stuff is there - waterproof zips, snow skirt, inner sleeves that go into your gloves (hard to describe, but good for keeping warm) and lift pass pocket in the right place, that kind of thing.

A photo of me melting the hearts of women across Snowheads, and possibly a few blokes, whilst out dogging in my WR jacket:

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ajrduff wrote:
I have a Trespass jacket which cost me £60 and has done sterling service for 5 years and 8 weeks or so of skiing, and have just bought a second jacket - also Trespass. My old one has been comfortable in some nasty conditions (-20C, high winds etc) and will continue to be used as a backup for a longer trip next year - nights out in resort, etc.

Your waterproof/breathable numbers are at the lower end of the scale I think but should be fine for most trips. I look for a comfortable fit, plenty of pockets, a decent snowskirt and armpit zips for warmer days. Would certainly recommend Trespass as a brand.

Hi! If these are lower end, what should I be looking for given I am NOT an off pister or likely to be snow trekking
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
tinabf wrote:

Hi! If these are lower end, what should I be looking for given I am NOT an off pister or likely to be snow trekking

Honestly, in that case you could ski in almost anything. The kids this season seem to have discovered high viz builders jackets, waterproof but not exactly 21st century, they don't even have waterproof zips.

The White Rock stuff you've seen will almost certainly be up to the job, I guess the point being made is that you don't have to spend hundreds of pounds on a jacket - £50 should get you something suitable.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think fit and pockets in the right place is what matters most. This is assuming a reasonable breathable fabric that is. The unbranded or "own-brand" breathables are fine, but Goretex is better. You can sometimes get lucky in TK Maxx especially if you are lardy or pixie (as you are new here, I will tell you those are snowHeads terms for XXL and XS). For me, one of the first things I look for is a zipped pocket in the left sleeve. That means my lift pass will be safely and conveniently stowed and in the right place to pick up the gate sensors. You do not want to be doing the pocket dance.

I also look for storage for wallet on the inside and cuffs that meet my gloves and seal properly. On the subject of gloves - Goretex is a must here.

You will know what feels good when you put it on. Incidentally, I had never heard of White Rock until I bought a new helmet at the NEC show that was White Rock. It fitted me best, and seems decent quality.

I expect you know that TKMaxx has disposals and end-of-runs, so it is worth going to different ones. They never have the same stuff twice. On the other hand, there always seems to be plenty of women's stuff.

snowHead
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

That means my lift pass will be safely and conveniently stowed and in the right place to pick up the gate sensors.

some sensors are on the right in our domaine. I have mine on an elastic round my neck, under everything. As I wear different jackets I'm too worried about leaving it behind.

Quote:

You will know what feels good when you put it on

So true. I often try on half a dozen jackets before finding one that feels comfy. Some have stiff and nasty fabric, some have tight armholes/sleeves - or too loose ones. I bought a very expensive Head jacket in Filarinskis midnight sale - but hitherto I had Trespass from T K Maxx and they were fine. Worn to death.

Just saw that amazon have some good stuff reduced - eg berghaus goretex trousers 40% off.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all your help Snowheads. Am heading off to TK Maxx and hoping that I get a good bargain before the snow hits my area! I had never heard of White Rock until I saw it at TK so I feel much ahppier. I was worried that TK stuff would not be 'proper' ski wear. Cheers folks!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I bought a Rossignol jacket and trousers with 25,000 for waterproofing and breatability from TK Maxx which is the higher end i believe for water replenacy and breatability. Know doubt it will be too warm and i will sweat like a hog roast.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy