Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort with downhill skiing and guided walking or snowshoeing groups?

Poster: A snowHead
Other half has had a bi-lateral hip replacement in the last year and his consultant doesn't recommend him skiing.
I'm wondering where we can go together where we can both get our snow and mountain fix. I need to downhill ski and he needs to be able to join up with walkers or snowshoe walks so he'd not be wandering all alone.
I think there are walks arranged by the tourist office in Wengen but can anyone recommend any other resorts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
janette, I'd be surprised if there are many resorts without facilities for guided walks/snowshoeing.

Would he want other facilities too - for example a swimming pool? In France, I would think Megeve would offer loads of walking/snowshoeing but also a good range of other facilities and an interesting town to walk around. And Chamonix is another obvious suggestion with a whole lot of incredibly exciting mountain scenery reachable with the lifts, for non-skiers. Wengen and the area sounds good too - using the trains to meet up for lunch etc etc.

There must be loads of places all over - maybe if you gave a bit more info about what sort of skiing you want to do and what other features of a resort are important to you?

Some snowshoe walks can be fairly strenuous. We had friends visiting a couple of years ago, and one older chap was a keen walker but had quite bad knees - and was also too overweight to make starting skiing a sensible proposition. he was keen to try the snowshoes and I took him on a walk, but he did find deep snow (ie not a pisted track) was quite hard on his knees especially when he overbalanced. Proper use of poles would help (he had declined my suggestion that he use them rolling eyes) but it could be a slight strain on newly replaced hips, I guess.

I suppose cross country skiing would be out, too - if not, that could be something for you both to do together.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ski school in St Anton does guided snowshoe walks. Pretty sure Westendorf does too. I'd be suprised if there are many resorts that don't tbh.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i know in Montgenevre on of the offered evening entertainments was snow shoe walking, so i guess if there is a illuminted track at night there must be others by day, and i did see a few folk whilst i was there
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not another resort but I do highly recommend Wengen. I went there with a group of skiing friends when I was nearly 7 months pregnant and waddling somewhat painfully around. I had a great week pottering around on the trains and walking paths. It's really easy to meet up with skiers using either, and the village is also pleasant to potter in or to escape by train if you're so inclined. With a friend who took a day off skiing, I got the train and cable car to Murren one day and walked through the village, other cable car down and back along the valley floor to Lauterbrunnen, a very easy walk with different but still impressive views. The tracks on the mountain are also fun and snowshoes not needed (although some of the slightly steeper downhill sections were a touch hairy, especially when the track was shared with toboggans...). Poles would certainly have helped.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
janette, go to www.larosiere.net there are guided walks by local guides, arranged through Twinner (ski shop in village) but it's also very easy for skiers and walkers to meet for lunch in mountain restuarants, there are marked trails and walkers are able to use the main chair lifts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Evolution2 in Tignes do them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
les contamines do guided walks ,snowshoeing etc
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think Colletts based in the Dolomites advertise in their brochure that they do guided walks/snowshoeing, in addition to skiing etc . I'm sure several Snowheads have mentioned that they have stayed with Colletts in the past, but I assume they were all ski-ing.

When we skied in Vaujany every morning we saw guided groups of snowshoe walkers setting off, organised by the ski school (ESF) I think.

Even the relatively small resort we go to regularly has guides (for which you book at the tourist office) who do a variety of snowshoe walks on different themes (geology, flora and fauna, history etc) but you need a reasonable standard of French to get the most out of them. They also do evening walks that go up the mountain and end up in a restaurant and then you get a lift back down in a piste basher type vehicle.

This resort (and I assume lots of others) also has a range of marked walking trails (some of which are bashed, so you don't necessily need snowshoes, but can get away with walking boots) for winter and summer and the tourist office sells maps of them, also you can download guides on to your mobile or hire a 'walkman' type device.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wengen tourist office runs several guided walks and snowshoe tours on a weekly basis. Also worth checking with them when Urs Kaderli is running his guided walking weeks this winter. He offers guided walks on Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri, usually for 4 or 5 weeks of the season and they are very popular - I think around CHF200 for the week.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can definitely do that in Chamonix. PM me your email if you like and I'll send you my guide for non-skiers. Wengen would be nice too. Zermatt maybe?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Pretty much every resort will offer some kind of snowshoeing, but not many Alpine resorts are actually very well suited to it (too steep, too hard to get away from the pistes).

Grand Bornand in France is great for this kind of trip - very integrated between downhill skiing, XC skiing and walking.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the suggestions so far
My concern is that a lot of places we have been to have needed minimum group numbers to run their snowshoeing walks.
We have both done some snowshoeing before, but I'd prefer to ski, I'm a competent intermediate and ski school is always an option for me, and that would leave Paul needing a group to walk with. So far Wengen I know would suit especially with Urs Kaderli's weeks, I've found Colletts and a couple of possibles from Inntravel and will have a look at the other suggestions.

pam w,
Quote:
I suppose cross country skiing would be out, too - if not, that could be something for you both to do together.

I might want to keep away from him for a bit
1. as he's a likely to be a bit frustrated with his restrictions
2. we have been married for 29 years, separate activities give us something to talk about at dinner!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
janette, Serre Chevalier certainly has people who could take you snowshoeing. We did a few years ago as our friend can't ski any more. Serre Che is also good for walks round the villages/looking at the history of the resort. You could try contacting Mel Crosby at Eurekaski http://www.eurekaski.com/plus.htm . She would know the lowdown there.
Good luick.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
janette, If you come to Les Arcs there are a number of companies that arrange snowshoeing groups most days. There are a number of trails specially for them and you can even ski down to points where they meet up so that you can lunch or coffee break together if you wish. They also have very well run nature snowshoe walks into the park which is very beautiful and not far. The walks are graded for physical difficulty so that you do not go on one which is to hard. They are often lead by national park wardens or forestry rangers and most of them speak English as well. Smile

There are also a number of English speaking expats around that like to snowshoe so if you are coming to Les Arcs, get in touch with me and I can put you in contact with others. I am sure they would be happy to have the company.

The skiing in Les Arcs for all levels is excellent so I am sure you would both have a great time. Very Happy

Hope that helps. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
gamekeeper wrote:
I think Colletts based in the Dolomites advertise in their brochure that they do guided walks/snowshoeing, in addition to skiing etc . I'm sure several Snowheads have mentioned that they have stayed with Colletts in the past, but I assume they were all ski-ing.

When we skied in Vaujany every morning we saw guided groups of snowshoe walkers setting off, organised by the ski school (ESF) I think.

Even the relatively small resort we go to regularly has guides (for which you book at the tourist office) who do a variety of snowshoe walks on different themes (geology, flora and fauna, history etc) but you need a reasonable standard of French to get the most out of them. They also do evening walks that go up the mountain and end up in a restaurant and then you get a lift back down in a piste basher type vehicle.

This resort (and I assume lots of others) also has a range of marked walking trails (some of which are bashed, so you don't necessily need snowshoes, but can get away with walking boots) for winter and summer and the tourist office sells maps of them, also you can download guides on to your mobile or hire a 'walkman' type device.

We have used Colletts frequently - the Best Beloved refuses to ski and has been very pleased to make use of the led snowshoe sessions. This small operator employs lovely and enthusiastic young people. Only comment from the BB is that sometimes the showshoe sessions can be a little under-challenging as they have to go at the speed of the slowest person, she does however, report getting into some truly wonderful places in the Dolomites that skiers would need full-on touring kit to get anywhere near - if you go the Chinque Torre (sp) <Five> walk should be on a snowshoer's bucket list. Madeye-Smiley

If you want further info feel free to PM.

Ian
snow report
Booked with Colletts, chalets full but a nearby hotel was available for our dates, now counting down the sleeps! Less than 8 weeks.

I'm happy because I can get into enough ski area to prevent me from being bored. I'm also happy because dh is ensured 6 days guided activity so he won't be bored either and I won't be worrying that he's walking off into the wilds alone!

Thanks everyone for the other suggestions, I now have a list of possible resorts to research for future years.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy