Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

In Praise Of Hemel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not often you see it on the boards at the moment, after a lot of negatives on another thread, but...

We just got back from a quick hour or so on the slope at Hemel, and frankly it was really rather enjoyable.

The slope was a bit chopped up, but despite it being race night earlier on everything was cleared and out of the way, the slope was quiet, everyone there was competent and able to get up and down safely.

Big plus was the Snow Patrol who were keeping a good eye out, standing at the top looking for what was going on (not sitting down chatting with their mates as they have been in the past!) and there was plenty of snow on the passage up the lift.

Finally big plus for the patrol chaps, one of our number is a competent snowboarder but had struggled in the past with getting on and off the button lift. One of the guys came along to help, showing her what she should do to make life as easy as possible, and being very patient and helpful.

Big thumbs up from us. Again. The lesson it seems is to hit the slopes on weekdays, the earlier the better.

Hopefully this is a sign that talk has turned into action. Whatever is causing it we're happier than before, and they were only at 7/10 in our book previously.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How often did the lift(s) flake out?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
narc wrote:
How often did the lift(s) flake out?

Not once. They stopped once because we had a minor problem at the top of the lift and the wire sensor was tripped, the guys were straight on it to make sure it was cleared at the top and the lift restarted within 60 seconds.

Both lifts running fine all evening.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad to hear it, I think I'll try it one morning this week. Clearly gilleski really did listen, not just saying he listened.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowball wrote:
Glad to hear it, I think I'll try it one morning this week. Clearly gilleski really did listen, not just saying he listened.

Something seems to have happened.

Also good to see the Slope Patrol had new uniforms and seemed dressed for the job, if you know what I mean. Might be helping with the "attitude" that seemed to be a complaint previously.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
we went over to hemel for an hour last monday night, arrived at 7.45 for an 8pm start. When we arrived we could see that race training was going but was informed by a rather miserable receptionist that 'they will be off by 8pm'. Looking around it was pretty deserted which was a bonus, we got on the slope at 8pm and because of race/slalom training the slopes had been mowed into very lumpy gully's (where the root from the poles being in). We queried this with one of the slope patrol who in a rather surely manner just turned round with 'well, slalom training ain't it'........ aaaarrgggggghhhhh, we asked why there was no attempt to bash down the lumps and bumps and was simply told 'we don't do that during the day', the slope conditions were appaling and alot of people who were at beginner stage were falling about all over the place, add to that there were quite a few skiers shooting down at ridiculous speeds and using the bumps to jump off! nearly missing me twice...... and nobody said word!
I appreciate they do have slalom training etc but perhaps the conditions of the slope because of this should be mentioned when booking in, or, at best perhaps some sort of discount on the price, (i realise that is probably out of the question!)...... to be honest it's totally put us off going over there again, it was really hard work and not much fun trying to pick a route through the bumps, we purposley went on a monday night as was advised on the phone it would be thier quietest night, now we know why, nobody goes after slalom training.......... AVOID ON MONDAY NIGHTS!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have a semi positive comment regarding Hemel. I wanted to get a quick hour in on Sunday morning to test my new boots out (thanks CEM) and so I called Hemel to ask how much of the slope would be open.

I was told that there would be two pieces of furniture (?) on the slope. So asked how that would restrict the slope and was told that the skiing area at the bottom of the slope would be restricted.

Called MK and asked the same question and was told there would be no restrictions.

So I have a choice - narrow, expensive slope made more narrow at the bottom but better snow

or wide slope, cheaper and no restrictions with more grotty snow

What would you do? Puzzled
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cbowls30 wrote:
we went over to hemel for an hour last monday night, arrived at 7.45 for an 8pm start. When we arrived we could see that race training was going but was informed by a rather miserable receptionist that 'they will be off by 8pm'. Looking around it was pretty deserted which was a bonus, we got on the slope at 8pm and because of race/slalom training the slopes had been mowed into very lumpy gully's (where the root from the poles being in). We queried this with one of the slope patrol who in a rather surely manner just turned round with 'well, slalom training ain't it'........ aaaarrgggggghhhhh, we asked why there was no attempt to bash down the lumps and bumps and was simply told 'we don't do that during the day', the slope conditions were appaling and alot of people who were at beginner stage were falling about all over the place, add to that there were quite a few skiers shooting down at ridiculous speeds and using the bumps to jump off! nearly missing me twice...... and nobody said word!
I appreciate they do have slalom training etc but perhaps the conditions of the slope because of this should be mentioned when booking in, or, at best perhaps some sort of discount on the price, (i realise that is probably out of the question!)...... to be honest it's totally put us off going over there again, it was really hard work and not much fun trying to pick a route through the bumps, we purposley went on a monday night as was advised on the phone it would be thier quietest night, now we know why, nobody goes after slalom training.......... AVOID ON MONDAY NIGHTS!

I guess this demonstrates that you can't please all the people all the time - without those bumps I'm fairly sure the guys jumping off them would have been bored.

I'm a bit confused how the place can be "pretty deserted" and yet you were in a position where you were concerned that there might be a collision. If you are concerned about it, just let the fast skiers pelt it down, then take your time to get down.

I guess if the race training finishes at 8pm you either have to give them a couple of hours to bash the piste, so you can't get on until 10pm, or live with a few bumps. If people can't cope with the slight bumps in a slope at Hemel, they aren't going to be able to ski in most resorts after 2pm as most runs would be significantly worse.

My experience seems to be different to yours, though actually I'm not sure it is. My opinion of things is, but then I guess we are different people with different expectations.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another thumbs-up for exceptionally helpful and charming (not to mention nattily dressed) slope patrollers yesterday.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle, Yup, the chaps with the shovels sorting out the lift starting gullies were doing a stirling job too Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I guess this demonstrates that you can't please all the people all the time - without those bumps I'm fairly sure the guys jumping off them would have been bored.

I'm a bit confused how the place can be "pretty deserted" and yet you were in a position where you were concerned that there might be a collision. If you are concerned about it, just let the fast skiers pelt it down, then take your time to get down.

I guess if the race training finishes at 8pm you either have to give them a couple of hours to bash the piste, so you can't get on until 10pm, or live with a few bumps. If people can't cope with the slight bumps in a slope at Hemel, they aren't going to be able to ski in most resorts after 2pm as most runs would be significantly worse.

My experience seems to be different to yours, though actually I'm not sure it is. My opinion of things is, but then I guess we are different people with different expectations.

------------

not sure where you are skiing if most resorts you go to are like that by 2pm, because we've never experienced that. I just feel that if they are going to have slalom training then at least have the considering to either reduce the rate and warn people when booking in that the slope conditions are not great or make some sort of attempt at bashing down the bumps, if you go to an ice rink they manage to shut it between sessions to allow the ice grooming machine to come out and smooth out the ice, this takes 20mins in some cases, but nobody seems to a have a problem with it. Just fed up with the attitude of 'put up, shut up and make do' without complaining in the country, I didn't go there to pay £20 to ski down aload of bumps and lumps, i went to ski down a slope, not a mogul field.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Monium wrote:
.......If people can't cope with the slight bumps in a slope at Hemel, they aren't going to be able to ski in most resorts after 2pm as most runs would be significantly worse.

I don't think it is the same. Ski resorts might get bumpy in a few places or on the last few hundred meters of the home run. But most of the resort will be good all day.
It is completely different if you only have a 100mtr to ski in the fridge and it's all bumps, narrow and busy etc.

I gave up on evenings in Hemel now and enjoy the perfect piste in the mornings Very Happy

If one knows what to expect at what time, disappointment can be avoided. Easy snow in the morning, moguls in the evening.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the tip, i will remember that if we ever decide to go back! mornings only.... wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, the MK slope will be at least partly restricted by the tobogganing / tubing area - bottom half of the RH slope looking down. No way that won't be there, especially at a weekend, & the tubing bit looks like a permanent fixture now...

Was there last weekend for the EB ski test. Got there around 11am, & left at 2pm. Very busy to start with, but got quieter as time went on... but the 'snow' did degenerate quite noticeably, & there were some big icy patches developing by the time we left. Lifts ran fairly well (a few stoppages but dealt with quickly) and I didn't see any people on the slope who really shouldn't have been there. So not bad, on the whole... & the ski-testing bit was fun snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy