Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI members - Alpine Director elections

Poster: A snowHead
As Gareth Roberts is now Chairman his previous role of Alpine Director is up for election. It's quite a contest this year with 4 candidates standing. You should have had an email about it explaining how to vote, more details available here:

http://www.basi.org.uk/Newsletter/06e50ebb-1968-48d4-aa9e-40638ad3fd5a/view.aspx
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
beanie1, really good they have set this up for online voting well done to someone
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alex would get my vote... but I'm not a member anymore
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Patch wrote:
Alex would get my vote... but I'm not a member anymore
Patch! Thanks for your vote even though you can not! If you are a BASI member I would appreciate your vote! I will be updating my blog as soon as poss with my reasons for wishing to stand as Alpine Director. This is an integral role and I feel that I am ready to represent the members and to help steer BASI in the right direction in the interests of all. Thanks to the people who have already voted. Alex
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex leaf, welcome to SH's and good luck in the elections !!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alex leaf, welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
alex leaf, Hey Alex, just got your message - welcome to Snowheads and good luck with the election
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hey Alex! you always had my vote wink welcome to SH's
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I believe Alex and another two of the four members standing for alpine director are Trainers. The board already has one trainer representative and other trainers are on the board in various capacities.

Can we have a non-trainer to represent the 'ordinary' alpine members ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
I believe Alex and another two of the four members standing for alpine director are Trainers. The board already has one trainer representative and other trainers are on the board in various capacities.

Can we have a non-trainer to represent the 'ordinary' alpine members ?
Good comment, however, any member is free to stand it just so happens that only the 4 of us put ourselves forward!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stewart woodward, Interesting call, long time ago when different levels were once represented on the board. Should we therefore have a representive at levels 1, 2, ISIA and ISTD?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dunk wrote:
stewart woodward, Interesting call, long time ago when different levels were once represented on the board. Should we therefore have a representive at levels 1, 2, ISIA and ISTD?
Well, we can have representatives at all levels, but no one else put themselves forward. However, our association belongs to all of us, and as such, All our voices should be heard and have input into how the association moves forward. As far as I am concerned, I am a BASI 'ordinary member' regardless of my appointment a trainer. I would like to think I would do my best for the association and it's membership. Hope this helps!! Alex.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex leaf wrote:
Well, we can have representatives at all levels, but no one else put themselves forward.

There is only one alpine representative, not one for each level.

alex leaf wrote:
However, our association belongs to all of us, and as such, All our voice s should be heard and have input into how the association moves forward. As far as I am concerned, I am a BASI 'ordinary member' regardless of my appointment a trainer

The Articles of Association state ' Every full and life member shall have one vote'. A trainer is able to vote for 2 representatives (alpine & trainer). This appears to be against the Articles of Association.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward,
Quote:

The Articles of Association state ' Every full and life member shall have one vote'. A trainer is able to vote for 2 representatives (alpine & trainer). This appears to be against the Articles of Association.

I'll ask the office about this and get back to you.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

alex leaf wrote:
Well, we can have representatives at all levels, but no one else put themselves forward.

I think what Alex meant is that someone of any level can stand for this role (and most roles on the board). There are non-trainer and non-ISTD members of the Board, however, I think it's unsurprising that members for whom BASI and snowsport teaching is a large part of their life are more likely than others to have a desire to stand for a position on the Board, hence the higher representation of trainers.

BASI is keen for members of all levels to get involved with the Association - I'm only a L2 for instance.
latest report
stewart woodward wrote:
' Every full and life member shall have one vote'. A trainer is able to vote for 2 representatives (alpine & trainer).

Every member does have one vote for each Director (Alpine, Telemark, Snowboard, Adaptive, Nordic) hence can vote for numerous represntatives. The Trainers Representative is voted for by the Trainers since they represent the 'body' of the Training Subcontractors..(worth noting that as Trainers we are simply sub-contractors to the association)..

As Alex mentions above, pre-notice of the election was given on 14th October, with any full member eligible to put themselves forward for the position.

-- note this is a personal view not an official basi view... --

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 1-12-10 10:32; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Good to see you here Alex, glad you managed to negotiate the sign up process and best of luck with the election Very Happy

(Subliminal message for candidates post election Wink : now the snow gods seem to be smiling on Scotland again let's have a few more courses there Toofy Grin )
snow conditions
Quote:

Hi Stewart - I think I can remember back to when there used to be a rep for each level within Alpine.....is that right? If so, when did it change & why? I don't remember being asked if I'd rather have just one Alpine rep rather than 4 Confused
ski holidays
Good luck Alex!
snow report
stewart woodward,

Regarding voting, every member has one vote for each position on the board that they are eligible to vote for. In legal speak it says “for every resolution each member who is eligible to vote shall have one vote”.

The 5 Discipline members of the board & the trainers are the only positions that are specific the remaining ones all members can vote for. So if you want to add up how many potential votes each member could have for the board as a whole it could be 7 and more if they are multi disciplined (one member could be a qualified in alpine, snowboard, tele, adaptive etc so would get a vote for each).

AlpineMasters,
Quote:

I think I can remember back to when there used to be a rep for each level within Alpine.....is that right? If so, when did it change & why?

The balance of the Board has been changed recently to include Board Members who have a skill and not voted in as Representative of and particular category of Member. Board Members with specific skills in finance and law for example being added to the Board.

It's important to remember that the role of the Board / directors is not to get involved in the day to day management of BASI, but one of governance - to follow statutory duties, approve the annual plan and budget etc. A full description of responsibilities can be read here:

http://www.basi.org.uk/docs/Board_of_Directors-Duties_&_Responsibilities.pdf
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
stewart woodward,

Regarding voting, every member has one vote for each position on the board that they are eligible to vote for. In legal speak it says “for every resolution each member who is eligible to vote shall have one vote”.

Please excuse my nievity, i have always believed in one person one vote and thought all members were equal.
ski holidays
Alex Leaf for Director! Then president of the EU, then head of the United Nations, followed by supreme leader of the universe.

Alex gets my vote.

PSG
ski holidays
It's nice to read all of the above about the Alpine Director vote. And out of the 4 people running for the job I am the only member who is not a trainer and I would like to say to members that if they would like to have a say on how basi is run and to give ideas on improving it feel free to contact me. At the moment you have the Chairman, Trainers , Telemark , Snowboard and I think Nordic rep's who are all trainers.So out of all members the minority have the biggest say over the majority.
snow report
sumophil, welcome to Snowheads, good to see another candidate posting on here!
ski holidays
Thank you beanie for the welcome and just to let members know the Euro test in St Christ might be on the move so the rumour is saying to Pitstal same place as last year. And a big thank you to all the guys voting for me as Alpine Director.
ski holidays
Just voted on BASI website.

As I don’t know any of them I based the vote solely on the text each candidate wrote.
snow conditions
sumophil wrote:
At the moment you have the Chairman, Trainers , Telemark , Snowboard and I think Nordic rep's who are all trainers.So out of all members the minority have the biggest say over the majority.

Playing devil's advocate here, but the 'minority' to whom you refer are voted in by the 'majority' (with the exception of the Trainer's Representative) - the majority have the option to vote for non-trainers, should any put themselves forward for these positions.
latest report
That is a point but why dont members but them self forward that is the big question the board should be asking. Why dont the members from the ISIA and level 2's put them self forward's.
We have at the moment a basi member who has worked is way up through the system to level 4 passed every thing but cant get is cart pro because he is an aussie what help do we as an association give none. We tell him to do what the French ask but we will take on board a law firm in london ready in case the french take action over a training center.
We dont surport the small man we always help the big why is that. Did basi help or surport Mr Simon Butler in his court case in which he won against the french no they stopped his instructors from doing any coarse's that winter.
And here am I simon a non- trainer and non ISTD standing so will people who are trainers vote for a member from majority and make a change to the board or will the board still be the same
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sumophil, good to see both you and Alex here willing to field comments from members - feather in both your caps ... or would that be helmets (controversial or what! Wink )

It seems to me you make some very good points but I'm not entirely sure what the answer is apart from more of you guys making youselves available in places like this so we can find out more about you. I think Wayne makes a good point above in as far as I too knew very little about the candidates apart from one, Alex. However you can usually find out a bit more about the ISTD/trainer candidates form Googling their names and many others will have skied with any trainers on the list and know them from that which perhaps puts them at an advantage in any elections. Converely this probably puts any non-trainers at a disadvantage in as far as the candidate blurb BASI put up when elections take place is very short and to be honest when read it itells the potential voter very little. Perhaps if BASI had some kind of members forum we would have a batter chance of getting to know candidates, there could even be some form of online hustings in elections. Personaly I think this might be one way that BASI could ensure more of a level playing field and perhaps members at all levels would feel more involved in what's going on and more inclined to vote.
snow report
roga,
Quote:

as far as the candidate blurb BASI put up when elections take place is very short and to be honest when read it itells the potential voter very little. Perhaps if BASI had some kind of members forum we would have a batter chance of getting to know candidates, there could even be some form of online hustings in elections.

Very good point, and that's part of my aim in encouraging those standing to come and use forums such as this to speak with members directly. We have thought about setting up a dedicated members' forum, but at the moment feel it is better to go where members already congregate online, rather than try to persuade them to congregate somewhere else.

I've recently set up the official BASI "page" on FB, and once it has more followerse I hope to encourage it to become a forum of discussion and somewhere members can go to arrange transport shares for example. Please join if you haven't already!
ski holidays
sumophil wrote:
We dont surport the small man we always help the big why is that.

Whilst I'm positive that most members would morally support various ad-hoc and individual claims and cases, I’m not that sure that many would agree it’s a fair application of the subs. I think that my views on the squandering of BASI funds on the “French Problem” are well known (See Here) but I full appreciate “why” they’re doing it; it has, or could have, large scale repercussions around the ski teaching world (win or lose) and this is what a national association is all about. On the other hand, if BASI were to invest financially in every individual’s claim the pot would soon be empty.

OK, this may be a stupid idea (yeah I know Madeye-Smiley ) but what about offering reductions in L1 training costs, this is large scale and a benefit to the “majority” of members, etc. Or subsiding the lift passes of people on L2 tech and/or teach, again large scale, benefit to the “majority” of members, etc.

beanie1 wrote:
I've recently set up the official BASI "page" on FB, and once it has more followerse I hope to encourage it to become a forum of discussion and somewhere members can go to arrange transport shares for example. Please join if you haven't already!

May be wrong here but isn't the idea of FB to be “anti-official”. Hope it goes well for your new page though.

PS - anyone looking for good (mega) condidtions, get yourself over here (Brenta Dolomites), shed loads of pow in the last few days and going to be sunny at the weekend. Toofy Grin AND got no classes till Monday so weekend off for a blast - cue lots of snow up the nose falls Shocked
latest report
sumophil wrote:
We have at the moment a basi member who has worked is way up through the system to level 4 passed every thing but cant get is cart pro because he is an aussie what help do we as an association give none.

The 'cart pro' is an equivelance between the euro group and is applicable to european nationals as part of european law. Unfourtunatly even if you pass BASI exams but are not a european national it is not applicable to you.

I am sure some of you will know Augustine, BASI ISTD, Eurotest opener etc etc who is currently working his way through the French system as he could not get a 'cart pro'

We currently have lots of nationalities in the BASI system. Have BASI made them aware that even if they pass all their exams they will not get a 'cart pro' if they are not a european?
latest report
Sorry Wayne every member has a right to be surported by the association if he or she is a full paid up member. If you think the association should only look after big issue's why should we pay are membership if we do not get the surport from the association we join. As for the French problem as you call it, it will not be a drain on the funds of the members as if you have been in basi a long time you will know a deal will be done with the french we will get what we want and they will get what they want. So I would watch out that if the french do kick off the result will be you have to do the test tec in your level 3, so the only real winers will be the boys at the top and not the level's 2/3.
Another point for everyone while I was in Saas Fee training there was a gap coarse running when they had there level 2 exam week word was a ski school owner was going to come over and offer all the guys who passed, £2500 to work for him for the season in Switzerland which would mean cheap labour any one who works in the resort in question would know that would not cover accom for the winter. Again that would have meant level 3's losing there jobs for cheap labour and would basi then have stepped in to help it's members or not. There are a lot of issues out there that do need to be looked at but not at the cost of the members and there jobs. We must surport each and every member not just take his money till he passes his level 4 then say tough you are on your own.
Also Wayne I would just like to say as you sound very vocal on some issues which are close to your heart why not stand for a place on the board and make your voice heard, like I'm try to. Have a great week-end in the powder.
snow report
No axe to grind sumophil (I'm not currently a member), but as you're standing for the position of Alpine Director, it may be worth paying a little attention to spelling, punctuation and grammar. Your electorate may be making judgements on how effective you are based on how well you write - it aids in putting your point over, n'est-ce pas?
latest report
sumophil, great that you have lots of opinions.
GrahamN, as a member I can fogive the gramma and spelling as long as any arguments are fact based and relevant.
But coarse/course does annoy me. wink
sumophil, see you in Megeve.
latest report
sumophil wrote:
Also Wayne I would just like to say as you sound very vocal on some issues which are close to your heart why not stand for a place on the board and make your voice heard, like I'm try to. Have a great week-end in the powder.

In this snowHead forum I am only “vocal” on 3 issues – 2 of which have nothing to do with BASI.
Also 4 other reasons for not standing (there are many others):
* I have no interest in horse trading with the French
* I have 62 people’s wages to pay each month of year, that take precedence over other stuff and (regardless of what the DIY fraternity would have you believe) running a TO is extremely time-consuming
* I honestly don’t think that my inclusion onto the board of directors would be a benefit to the either BASI as an organisation or the membership at large.
* No-one (including me Madeye-Smiley ) would vote for me anyway.

I have, as I think most members have, the utmost respect for anyone who puts himself (or herself) forward for election as a board member of BASI, so good luck in the election.
ski holidays
beanie1,

I notice that Roy Henderson has been appointed BASI Product Manager.

Does this affect the election of Alpine Director?
ski holidays
stewart woodward, from what I understand Roy will not be able to hold a post on the Board as well as being a employee of BASI, but I'm just waiting for confirmation from the office of exactly what that means for the election.
ski holidays
stewart woodward, I've now had it confirmed that Roy is stepping down from the election. Anyone who voted for him will be able to re-cast their vote.
ski holidays
beanie1,

Many thanks for that info.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy