Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you think about self-catering ski holidays?

Poster: A snowHead
There're a lot of people who would turn down the heat and wear a sweater at home. I'm definitely not one of them. My living room thermostat is set at about 70 degrees. The same temperature I set for summer AC. Very Happy I don't call that "hot".

I prefer to seal off any potential draft & leaks to keep the heating bill down over wearing sweaters in the house.

I do turn down the heat when I go to bed. But that's because I like to sleep at 65 degrees instead of 70. Laughing
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abc, I noticed when I lived in America for a time that most people kept in cold enough in summer, and hot enough in winter, to wear the same clothes indoors all year round. when I took my baby in a US flight from Florida, where it was hot as Hades on the ground, the air-con was so fierce that we all had to strip off some clothes to try to keep her warm enough!

I guess that's just a cultural difference. Me, I really enjoy seasons. Very light, cotton and linen clothes in summer (I have lived in the Caribbean and the South Pacific in houses with no air-con) nice warm sweaters and fleeces in winter.

Anyway, back to the thread - if you like your environment warmer, or cooler, than the next bloke, you can have it the way you like in self-catering accommodation. wink
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

A typical week will be something along the lines of fajitas, sausage and mash, roast chicken or lamb and dauphinoise, poached salmon and couscous, pork and chorizo stew, lasagne or another pasta offering , and probably but not always an evening out.

did you used to work in a chalet by any chance?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w wrote:
abc, I noticed when I lived in America for a time that most people kept in cold enough in summer, and hot enough in winter, to wear the same clothes indoors all year round.

I guess that's just a cultural difference.

I think it's more of a habit due to the relatively low energy cost in the states.

As heating cost goes up, people pay more attention to sealing the leaky windows and doors in their houses in order NOT to lower the thermostat. I certainly plead guilty to that behavior.

I grow up in the subtropics. In the 45-50 degree winter with no heating, it's rather uncomfortable not being able to take off the sweater for 4 months in a stretch! So I prefer to not wear too much indoors even in winter. It's a bit of an over-compensation behavior of mine, I'm afraid.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dr John, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Does seem rather familiar, doesn't it.

On the other hand, it is quick and easy stuff that is tasty and popular.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
i guess it depends what type of group you go with
i have done it years ago with a group of 6 blokes, and all meals were eaten out except breaky so it wasn't too bad
last 2 trips have just been me and daughter who is a picky eater, we have eaten out most of the time, but having the kitchen facility was good for quick sandwich lunches. Also as we were not looking for night life we could watch a dvd to end our night in comfort on a settee
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To summarise:

SC will work if;
The accommodation hase something resembling decent kitchen and dining facilities
You're with good enough friends to make stuck in one place all and every evening bearable
There are people willing to curtail skiing and apres in order to do the shopping
There are people willing to curtail skiing and apres in order to do the cooking
There are people with the ability and inclination to cook something other than pasta and curries
There are no fussy eaters
There is a decent supermarket in resort
You bring half the ingredients with you
You have someone in attendance with Eisenhower level planning capabilities
You have a car (not essential, but highly desirable)

For myself, stated without prejudice and a completely open mind, I'm off to the restaurant...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-11-10 13:23; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I tried my 1st Self Catering holiday last year. Me and 7 mates in an old house/appartment in a one horse hamlet outside of St MArtin de Bellville. On arrival day we found the gaff, settled in, got equipment for those that wanted it and thendrove back down to Moutiers, did a big shop at Carrefour, had a meal and then drove back up.

We cet up a rota, it was dead easy and we loved it so much we are replicating again this year. Accomodation, evening meals and breakfast worked out at about £110 a head Very Happy Very Happy We did not miss going out and were a big enough group to make our own fun.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've only ever had a good experience with self catering. Ski all day and relax with your drink of choice back at the chalet whilst the women cook dinner.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
I was appalled at the sight of 4 girls sitting round after their showers in vest tops and shorts. The place was like a sauna; I dread to think how much electricity they were using.

wink

It does not sound appalling.

Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Dr John wrote:
To summarise:

SC will work if;
The accommodation hase something resembling decent kitchen and dining facilities

Yes

Quote:
You're with good enough friends to make stuck in one place all and every evening bearable

SC gives you the flexibility to stay in or go out - you haven't paid in advance for your catered meals.

Quote:
There are people willing to curtail skiing and apres in order to do the shopping

Or book somewhere that does the shopping for you.

Quote:
There are people willing to curtail skiing and apres in order to do the cooking

How early are you planning on eating???

Quote:
There are people with the ability and inclination to cook something other than pasta and curries
There are no fussy eaters
There is a decent supermarket in resort

True - if you can only cook things you don't like, best to head out to the restaurant.

Quote:
You bring half the ingredients with you

Laughing Um... if salt/pepper sachets and stock cubes (all of which can be bought in the resort supermarket) make up half the ingredients of your meals then, yes, you should head out to a restaurant.

Quote:
You have someone in attendance with Eisenhower level planning capabilities

To take it in turns to grill a steak/dress a salad/cut the bread/put the cheese out, whilst chatting to your mates over a glass of wine?

Quote:
You have a car (not essential, but highly desirable)

Or book somewhere that does the shopping for you.

Quote:
For myself, stated without prejudice and a completely open mind, I'm off to the restaurant... Laughing

TBH that does sound the best option for you! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lightningdan, Laughing Well I was using the term "girls" rather loosely - they must have weighed 60 stone between them. Big girls, spilling out. And even if you specially like big girls you might be appalled if you were paying the leccy bill.

miranda, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blimey.

miranda, the post was in the spirit of an facetious and (hopefully) amusing summary of various peoples posts, not a degree dissertation to be dissected and minutely examined.

On the other hand, if I had SC accommodation to flog I'd probably say the same things as you.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dr John, I'm sorry I annoyed you - I wasn't trying to flog my accommodation to you and my post was meant in precisely the same spirit as yours!

As for the minute examination - yes, that's the first time I've tried it... can't believe some people manage to do that with the majority of posts they respond to. Confused
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
miranda, don't worry, only joshing (and being a little mischievous)
ski holidays
Dr John, ok good. My SC accommodation is very nice though... and we cater too Little Angel

wink
ski holidays
Food is the key imho. Yes you can eat out but that can be expensive, with the fallen pound. Especially for a family. Its not so bad if you are only paying for yourself (and OH maybe). If you dont intend to eat in, its almost certainly cheaper to buy catering in a package.

But a lot of hotel meals are a bit, er, sparse. There used to be stories of UK holidaymakers getting a more limited menu than others, because they (or their operators) have screwed the hotel down on price. I dont know if these stories are just a mountain myth.

I have found chalets are better generally.

Buying food in resort is always expensive. If you are driving, stock up in the valley. A friend of mine likes to freeze a load of stuff (mince, chicken, bacon etc) at home and puts it in the boot with the spare wheel (well wrapped of course!) He says it stays frozen or at least chilled until he gets there. I dont condone this of course Very Happy

There is a point here though - if you dont patronise the shops in the resort, they may not be there next year.

S/C is the way for me, with kids, but it doesnt suit everyone. If you intend to spend the max time on slope and in the bar (happy days!) it will be a bind and you will end up with rubbish food as a result!
latest report
Quote:

If you intend to spend the max time on slope and in the bar...

... then surely you wouldn't have any time for eating at all (it is cheating, after all), so it doesn't matter what you go for (other than the cost and the wasted food)
latest report
Hotel or decent catered chalet for me! Only done it SC once. Stale bread for brekkie as nobody can be assed getting ready early enough to fetch fresh/cook a fry-up/clean up all the grease. So we're all starving by lunchtime and spend a fortune, rather than having a bowl of soup/slice of pizza etc. Ski till last lift, couple of drinks, I like to swim/sauna if possible, others like a snooze, so no shopping gets done. Also, the fresh veg and salad stuff in the one "supermarket" usually leaves a lot to be desired. And there's always one vital ingredient missing. So it's eat out again.

Yes, I'm lazy! But, I'm on holiday Cool and like many things, it doesn't count when you're on holiday wink .
ski holidays
alanant Self catering for me means, basic brekkie (toast, eggs, tea) or go out for brekkie and then cafe on the mountain and finally a decent restaurant in town. So yes, I love it Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 30-11-10 23:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
viv, Laughing I actually never realised people had that mentality until we had a group of guests last year who were all work colleagues. They'd dumped their stuff and hit the slopes straight away, so we unpacked their kitchen stuff for them and I did notice they had an extraordinary amount of chocolate with them. It turns out that they were eating the bread and pastries we delivered to them in the mornings and then just heading out with dozens of chocolate bars in their pockets and did not stop skiing once, for the entire day. I did feel sorry for the 1 guest in the party who confided they were the only one who wanted to stop for lunch or a coffee and kept being called a cheat for suggesting it!
snow report
Hi we,ve had some amazing self catering ski hols where we mostly ate out at night one night in maybe, took turns to do brekkie with our group usually 8-10. We even had xmas dinner twice in self catered apt, make sure it has an oven. But... having said that, have to say last three seasons we have done catered chalet and found (though may seem expensive) if you factor in dinner out every night if s/c then works out much of a muchness. Really depends on your budget, if you can afford to eat out at a restaraunt every night you can afford catered. If on a shoestring then s/c pizza pasta at home good option. My husband and I had second ski hol one season on a shoestring brought packet soup with us and bought some italian sausage and bread each night, boring and glad to get home for real food again but worth it for second week in beautiful meribel. Enjoy whatever you decide.
snow report
snowmam, Been there, done that. Well put.

snowHead
latest report
We go self catering as taking ski-knackered children out is just not relaxing - last chrimbo we got our butcher to vacuum pack batches of meat and froze them and then took pretty much all of the food with us (and a slow cooker!) Food went on in the morning and we ate like lords in the evening and had very tired kids in bed and we relaxed nice and early. Compared to going out and not having kids back in apartment until after 8 and all too knackered to get to bed quickly... self-catering def the easy option!!
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
lightningdan, Laughing Well I was using the term "girls" rather loosely - they must have weighed 60 stone between them. Big girls, spilling out. And even if you specially like big girls you might be appalled if you were paying the leccy bill.

miranda, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the clarification, I am retracting the previous statement, I had an image in my mind more like a "M&S" do skiing advert, and for future reference , each to their own but not a "big girl" fan.

Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
alanant, I think self catering is fine. I guess if you don't want to do the cook/clean/shop bit then you generously offer to take everyone out/buy pizzas the night it is your turn.

You never know, you might like it.
ski holidays
Done both, would think twice about h/b again. The first time we stayed in a chalet was brilliant, the second was poor - substandard accommodation, awful food, and a large group of very cliquey fellow guests. If we did it again we'd have to go considerably upmarket, I think.

If you're self-catering it does help if you have a car and a suitably located supermarket at the bottom of the mountain (a la Val D/Les Arcs) - we hardly needed to do any more shopping after the big one at the beginning of the week. I wouldn't choose an apartment without a properly equipped kitchen and a dishwasher, either.

Overall, we preferred the flexibility and freedom that came with self-catering. You don't have to eat in, after all.
ski holidays
Quote:

There used to be stories of UK holidaymakers getting a more limited menu than others, because they (or their operators) have screwed the hotel down on price. I dont know if these stories are just a mountain myth.

No they're not. The worst holiday food we've had, by a long chalk, was when Inghams failed to deliver promised catered chalet. We had (good) breakfast in the chalet but evening meals in the adjoining hotel. A crowded table in the corner and dire, dire, food. And pretty rubbish snow, too - excellent instruction saved the day.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I mainly SC due to budget restraints but I do enjoy it too. As others have said it doesnt have to be a big mission!

*I normally go with a group of friends, so the company is always good and everyone is happy to muck in.
*We set up a kitty, work out a rough idea of meals and then head to the shops on the first evening in resort to get most of the food - so no cutting into ski time, just first night drinkies.
* Usually end up eating in 5 nights and out 2 nights, and take-out pizza/rotisserie chicken are always cheat options!
* Breakfasts are usually fresh bread + pastries. We take it in turns to wander downstairs to collect it from the apartment reception (as it seems many places have a bakery delivery service)
* Those that want to will make up sandwiches and load up with chocolate bars for lunch, while others are happy to eat out at mountain restaurants.
* Everyone takes a turn at cooking in the evening, something simple like curry/pasta/sausage + mash/chilli, takes about 30 minutes to prepare, while chatting with friends, drinking wine and everyone taking it in turns to have shower and get changed after skiing/apres (cook gets to shower first!).
* Everyone helps clear away the table and load the dishwasher...press go. Drink more wine.
* There may be a time when we need to pick up a few odd things but a 10 minute detour to the Spar from the apres bar and then home is hardly that taxing.

Positives:
If you do cook, it is a good money saver
Get to eat tasty local meats and cheeses
Enjoy munching on fresh bread/pastries every morning
Cooking time fits in with 'shower' time, so does not cut into apres or skiing time
More informal than a hotel or chalet, can walk around in your PJs if you like (+ more privacy)
Freedom to chose what time you eat
You only have to cook once in a week, so most of your meals are cooked for you just like catered/hotel

Negatives
There is some initial faff with sorting out kitty money, what to buy/cook and the weeks shopping trip on first afternoon/evening
Some people might not like/too lazy/cannot cook, so others might get miffed at these people not pulling their weight
There may be cooking + alcohol related dinner disasters?
Your apartment could be the size of a shoebox with no cooker, only 1 pan and no knives - so be a bit picky about which SC apartment you book!

It is not for everyone but it is not as terrible as many people fear either.
ski holidays
I'm sure this has all been covered, but since when has this stopped a dedicated snowHead

I LOVE my self-catering holidays. Cool Because we drive, we shop in Albertville and get most stuff we need for the week at reasonable prices. With 3 youngish kids its a lot less hassle to cook and slob out in peace than anything else. Some nights we will get a pizza or similar the other nights is easy to pasta, chilli, stews quickly.

And before anyone asks - it is me who cooks, not Mrs Boris, and we often go with both sets of grandparents so I cook for 9.

Ultimately its whatever suits - this works for us and what we want. Won't for others
latest report
Planning is the key to self catering. I take the needed amounts of the following with me:-

Salt. Black pepper (peppered steak)
chicken + beef oxo.
Cornflour
Italian seasoning
Blackened Cajun seasoning. Fantastic on pork or fish or sausages or any meat come to that.
Curry powder
sachet of coconut butter
Coffee
Chocolate powder (chocolate sauce)

We can make some pretty tasty meals with the above seasonings and various meats and desserts, washed down with pastis before and good wine. Certainly would not be able to afford to eat out like this regularly.
snow report
I don't want to feel like I'm on holiday when I go skiing, I want to feel it's home-away-from-home. Much prefer self-catering
snow report
Micheal b do you sow them in your knickers like Gillian Mckeith in "i'm a celebrity"????
ski holidays
When my ski group were all younger and poorer it used to be SC every time. Now we normally end up in catered chalets. I miss the SC days. The trouble with posh chalets and nice meals every night is that it can be a major effort getting people to venture out for a drink when they're full of food and there's still some red to polish off.

Mind you I was never allowed anywhere near the kitchen during the evening in the self catering days. Instead, my job was to get up early to raid the boulangerie and getting the coffee machine going.
latest report
Quote:

Instead, my job was to get up early to raid the boulangerie and getting the coffee machine going.

You are clearly THE most essential person on the holiday then Spud9, Laughing snowHead You can come SC skiing with us anytime!

Agree on the food thing to a point. Having skiied in France for years, the tartiflette/raclette/pierrade triangle gets a bit old - sometimes you just want to pass out face down in a plate of packet soup after a very stiff G&T. snowHead
ski holidays
Spud9, you can come with us too, the dog will even show you the way.

Laughing Laughing
snow report
Hey, I saw them first !Hells Bells,
latest report
MarjMJ, he could spend a few weeks, you're there just before us. wink
snow conditions
Blush
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy