Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where are the youngsters?

Poster: A snowHead
Written (hopefully) in a style which appeals to the younger generation.

The Motion :

"This house believes that these forums are dominated by old farts. Given that most sports (including ski and board ) are a 'Young Person' domain why is it that most posters here are aged !
Do the elders swamp the young due to volume? Do the elders dominate through rhetoric? Are the elders not worth bothering with ?"

It would (undoubtedly) be beneficial if posters older than 29 (physical) refrained from posting on this thread ( which may of course mean no posts) ..

Let the youth have their word ....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 24-05-05 17:54; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Like the idea of being classed as young at 26 Very Happy

Most of the older members have the experience to discuss most of the issues on the threads. I would like to be able to add more to some threads but sometimes it is good to sit back read and learn.

Would be interesting to know if the majority of youngsters are posting in the snowboard section of the sight rather than here.

BUT WE DON'T WANT TO GO INTO THE EXTENSIVLEY EXPLORED SKIERS Vs BOARDERS ARGUMENT AGAIN. (was just a rhetorical question).

Some new comers may, as I felt initially, be a little over awed by the vast knowledge of more experienced posters and not want to feel like they are making an ass of themselves. I now know this not to be the case, but it is learning process!!

Must go now as it is time for my nappy to be changed and the Kindergarten is closing soon wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
eEvans wrote:
......"This house believes that these forums are dominated by old farts. ....

ie it reflects the age profile of the country.

Quote:
Let the youth have their word ....

Of course snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dont let my kids on the net unsupervised. They would rather ski than talk about it. I talk about it because there is so little else in my drab, wretched life.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I am young!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eEvans, Not sure if I should be posting here due to my age! Skullie Personally I would love to see more of you guys posting here Smile I'm also in awe of the wealth of knowledge that most of the regulars seem possess - but hey ho no one knows who you are if you do say something stupid! You've started the ball rolling so...post again soon. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ginger winger wrote:

Some new comers may, as I felt initially, be a little over awed by the vast knowledge of more experienced posters and not want to feel like they are making an ass of themselves. I now know this not to be the case, but it is learning process!!

Definitely not the case - it's the pontificators that regularly make an ass of themselves! wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PG wrote:
ginger winger wrote:

Definitely not the case - it's the pontificators that regularly make an ass of themselves! wink

Youth is not a necessary qualification for making an ass of yourself. I know, I'm 48.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eEvans, on what basis do you make your statement that most of us are old? I know I'm not...and I'm sure I'm not alone in fitting into your age bracket of allowed posters (just!!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am 25, so i guess that counts as young by this scale? I am posting regularly at the moment as I am currently doing a postgrad course. But i start my new job next week so I don't expect to be posting too frequently from then on. Could it be that the slightly "older" members of the forum are self-employed, or have reached a stage in their career where they are their own boss so can decide for themselves how much time to spend on the net? Whereas us "youngsters" can't spend much time on the net whilst employed for someone else.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Elizabeth B, I guess the lack of replies to this thread will be evidence enough. Doh! Shouldnt have posted that... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Elizabeth B,

Like eEvans, I had also assumed the average age of this forum was a bit older just on the basis of what people write in their posts - eg. mention of families etc.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Could it be that the regular posters have been promoted at their jobs to a level at which they can afford to surf all day at work unnoticed? wink (As evidenced by the lack of postings most weekends.)
Whereas the younger thrusting age group are nose to the grindstone carving out their careers with no time for idle surfing! Shocked

and yes I fit into the first category I guess although I am NOT old!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 24-05-05 21:28; edited 2 times in total
    ski holidays
     You know it makes sense.
    You know it makes sense.
    richmond wrote:
    ....Youth is not a necessary qualification for making an ass of yourself. I know, I'm 48.

That's young where I'm coming from snowHead
    ski holidays
     Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
    Frosty the Snowman, now I am depressed after your comment, can it really be that bad?
    snow report
    Im 22, not a very regular poster though. I work silly shifts and im not in an office environment so tend to just read up when i can and post occasionaly! the shifts will be coming to an end in about 3 weeks HORAAhhh yay i will have a life again (well more of a life anyway)! so i will probably be on here more often!
    ...im a snowboarding 'yoof' as i took a trip to the darkside about 4 years ago and never turned back!
    snow report
    THpppppssssssssp!

wadUxpct frm n old fart?
    snow conditions
    chrisb, Only kidding Very Happy snowHead Is there an adult out there that wouldnt live their life again, knowing what we know. Thanks for your concerns though
    ski holidays
    they use this forum http://www.newschoolers.com/NS2/Forums/ViewThreads.php?cat_id=1-or they are boarders (308 members online at the time I I checked the address)
    latest report
    *Runs in* I'm fifteen and if I'm not skiing I'm talking about it! I have a problem persuading my friend that computers aren't just for geeks, and sporty people can use them. And it's a shame, but most of the young skiers I've met seem to be snobby eliteists (sp?). Oh well. At least I can still talk to people who understand!
    Julia
    snow report
    Wassaproblem? If you're younger than the mountains, you're young enough to ski... Puzzled

Was it Warren Miller who said "a forty year-old skier who tells you he skis as well as he did in his twenties... was a crap skier when he was in his twenties..." ? Ouch, that hurt (bit close to home!).

Oh sorry, I'm not supposed to be in here... I'll get my zimmer...
    snow report
    Im 34 but don't have kids therefore i have never needed to grow up or be too responsible, so even though i am numerically too old to post on this thread i think i should be allowed to as i still act like a 21 year old.
    latest report
    Funnily enough this thread is a carbon copy of one that is running on the Ski Club of GB site at the moment.
    I gather that the Conservative Party is also agonising over its mortality.

The scriptwriters of The Archers could probably provide clues of how to attract young audiences. Basically you invent young fictional characters that people believe in. The editor of The Sun (or any other national newspaper) also has to replace the dead with the living.

Last night I was at the Jazz Cafe where the 76-year-old Ray Barretto was beating his conga drums and leading a youthful sextet that was winning loud applause from a packed audience which was a quarter, a third or a half his age (except me, of course). And we're talking a Monday night! -

We could definitely use some Latin or African rhythms in here - they have a timeless ageless quality.

It would also be good to be discussing skating, surfing, gap years, boardercross, pipes, Michael Jackson, Romeo Beckham, teenage pregnancy, zits, GCSEs ... and, yes, music. Amy Winehouse is an astounding young singer, perhaps the greatest jazz/soul vocalist this country has ever produced. Her debut album 'Frank' is one of the most brilliant sets of songs I've ever heard. Does anyone agree with that? [Sorry, maybe this should be a separate thread]

By the way, I don't personally see there's a problem here. This is the most intelligent and eclectic snow discussion forum on the internet, bar none.
    snow report
    eEvans, Good question and good topic. Personally speaking I (just) qualify as being young by your definition, which I will take as permission to speak!

I suspect that :

a) Skiing is an activty that is taken up by a number of the younger population.
    b) That many of these people do read/participate (albeit more passively) in this forum. However, younger people on the whole tend to need less escapism (in the form of snow-talk) from day to day life, than people who have vovlos and 2.2 children (apologies for stereotyping!)
    c) That people in the late twenties/early thirties (ok - I am stretching your definition of young, I just can't help protecting myself from feeling old in a years time!!) tend to still have large natural peer groups of ex uni-friends & non-child bearing work friends (that can more easily get away to the mountains), that you tend to see them less in terms of looking for ski buddies. And on the whole, these people would ski wherever looked good in the the Thompson/Crystal ski brochure and worry more about where the apres-ski was good, then wanting to discuss the ins and outs of the best resorts/ski gear etc.
    ski holidays
    Q.Where are the Youngsters?
    A. Natives
    latest report
    boredsurfin, you've provided the answer.
    snow report
    We'd probably attract more youngsters if we dropped the 'no hoodies' policy.
    snow report
    David@traxvax,
    Thank you
    snow conditions
     You know it makes sense.
    You know it makes sense.
    David Goldsmith, well said.
    ski holidays
    David Goldsmith wrote:

By the way, I don't personally see there's a problem here. This is the most intelligent and eclectic snow discussion forum on the internet, bar none.

Quite right. It's the only forum I have ever felt inclined to join and post on. In fact other forums I've looked at haven't even held my attention long enough to qualify as a lurker.
    snow conditions
    Also the most flexible forum. Must be due to the kissing of our own butts.
    crazy_skier_jules, is the only poster who has revealed their young age (is she our youngest) and it is most refreshing to read her perspective on life and snowsports. Keep on posting Jules Very Happy snowHead
    latest report
    Theyre all too busy roaming in "feral gangs", binge drinking or looking after their children Shocked ( see yesterdays news for a prime example)

Im under 29 - always have been Razz
    snow report
    Nadenoodlee, Yesterday's news - now don't get me started on that subject! As a mother, I'm absolutely disgusted and I'm sure everyone else on here is too!!! Just think Nadenoodlee, that girl could be a Grandmother at your age!!!
    ski holidays
    Frosty the Snowman, instead of revealing our ages, why not provide age bands that people could allign themselves to such as:

15-20
    21-25
    26-30
    31-35
    36-45
    46-55
    56+

We could then all debate what is the appropriate SHAGS (SnowHead Age Grading System) until next season. It would pass the warmer months until its time to start looking at webcams!

slikedges, good point. Just try and look at a forum for any other pastime or interest and its full of mindless banter that purports to be funny and informative, but generally isn't. I for one signed up over a year ago (I think) and didn't for a minute think I'd continue to consistently view and contribute.
    ski holidays
    IncogSkiSno, Is disgusted the right word? Surely saddened, by the lack of proper guidance leading to their predicament?
    latest report
    Quote:

It would pass the warmer months until its time to start looking at webcams!
    True. Expanding this point; When is halfway between the end and the start of the season.
    snow report
    Peter Leuzzi, Only a man could come up with that acronym! rolling eyes
    snow report
    J2Dave wrote:
    "a forty year-old skier who tells you he skis as well as he did in his twenties... was a crap skier when he was in his twenties..." ?

That's me (except I'm 48 and a lot better skier than I was in my 20s, because I was that crap skier).
    snow conditions
    Peter Leuzzi, Your grading system does not reflect the skiing or posting knowledge and experience of the senior members of this forum who have achieved an impressive perceived biological age or have already denied an impressive chronological age, and who indeed may have been part of snowHeads since the Big SCGBang. Such a grading system would inevitably result in experienced beginner members deluding themselves that they are far more skilled posters than really they are, perhaps even attempting risky moderator-level posts. I would propose a spurious extension of your scale to make the top end look more impressive and that in any case all ages should immediately be relabelled as Dulux pastels to avoid the connotation of a linear skill ladder.
    latest report
    slikedges, Very Happy
    snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy