Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Touring Kit Advice

Poster: A snowHead
I've just moved to Brecon with my wife and it has just dawned on me that getting some skiing done on our doorstep is a possibility. We both ski in the alps each year and own boots, but no other ski gear. Could anyone please advice on what kit we'd need to be able to get ourselves up the mountains and ski back again.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skis, touring bindings, skins, adjustable poles are nice but not strictly neccessary, avi knowledge, avi kit.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you already have downhill kit then a pair of Alpine Trekker touring adapters and some skins will get you started..
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
steviebald,

Welcome to Snowheads.

You will probably need ski crampons too.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
not sure touring kit is really necessary - could just put skis on pack and walk
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
steviebald, For what you are talking about ie touring in the Brecons, you could do it with some cheap snow shoes and your existing skis and boots (some old skis if you have some) with a lot less things to figure out. If you want to carry on with touring and do it in the Alps or further afield then you will need new boots skis skins avi gear etc for about £1000- snow shoes £50 up.

On short tours my boarding mates are often quicker than me in their snoeshoes, while I mess about getting skins on and off.

A word of caution, Skiing on snow with no base (a thick layer of hard snow that covers the rocks) can be very dangerous, a friend of mine broke her back boarding in Cham a couple of years back in such conditions. There was 50cm of powder covering a 40cm rock!!

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 29-11-10 15:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowshoes? how deep is the snow in the brecons?!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arno, too true..
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the advice.

Snow shoes sound like a cheap and simple option to get started, can you get ones that clip onto ski boots?

I haven't experienced a winter here yet, but from what I've read on other forums it sounds like you can get up to 60-100cm at the top.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, I think I seen on the news they had 16 foot.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
steviebald,

When I went to Latin America a few years ago with Snoworks we used snow shoes attached to our skis so yes it is possible.

I also think that the advice given by jbob, about skiing on snow with a poor base is very sound. I have never even seen the Brecons in winter but I would imagine snow conditions would be extremely variable. Something like a new snowfall on a top of an old thin icy base which might have survived because it was north facing could be lethal.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the safety advice, I think I will try and find a friendly local for some advice and guidance on when and where to go before setting off.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm sure TCL do a snowshoe with a ski-boot binding. Although, even as a qualified snow-shoe guide and a long-time backcountry snowboarder, I'd say get some Alpine Trekkers as your starter for 10.

In fact, since you don't have your own skis yet, if you were planning on making that kind of investment anyway, get some nice all-round skis and a set of bindings that work well for both Alpine and touring - e.g. Marker Barons.

I ordered skis, bindings, skins & crampons this morning and shelled out for touring boots last week. I need someone else to share my wallet's pain!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stevomcd, go the whole hog and get an ABS bag as well, that really gets the wallet squirming!

Especially as it was more peer pressure from a few of my mates who had them rather than a mad moment of retail therapy and now a couple of the guys that did not buy them last year feel under even more pressure to get them this year -what a great ruse!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i can't help but think the kit advice on here is going way over the top for skiing which will in all likelihood be a few cms of snow on top of tufty grass:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=67725&start=120#1650789
snow report
Arno, what you don't think he need an ABS bag as well Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 30-11-10 0:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Arno,'s link is a picture of me in my "touring" kit. Downhill skis and bindings, downhill boots and a rucksack to strap the skis to when walking uphill.
Took about an hour to get from the carpark to the top of Pen y Fan on Saturday morning, most of it in the dark (early start).
snow conditions
imorris, How was it skiing down, looks like alot of greenery poking through? We walked up Pen y Fan from Cwmgwdi on Sunday and to my untrained eye it didn't look skiable.
snow conditions
I've toured (skins and touring bindings) and bootpacked (in alpine boots) all over the Brecon Beacons and the typical winter conditions don't justify the expense of purchasing touring equipment.

Adequate clothing is far more important.
ski holidays
steviebald, it was interesting but skiable! When I walked up I didn't think it looked skiable at all. Mike Pow thought otherwise and I followed his lead. Skied all the way back to the car park.
snow report
jbob wrote:
Arno, I think I seen on the news they had 16 foot.

So would that be 8 pairs
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy