Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Reynards and heated insoles - Hotronics, Therm-ic or other + fitting question?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I know this thread is similar to the one below but I'm in a slightly different position as I know I suffer with Reynards and after several seasons of misery (and a growing fear that a really cold day could result in frostbite)I've decided to invest in some boot heaters.

I know I'll need to sink a good £150 (if not more) but I was wondering if anyone had experience with these types of heaters and could suggest which ones to go for?

I have a set of Superfeet footbeds in my boots already which are fab, boot fit overall is spot on so I'm reluctant to change anything internally (I know the Therm-ic's come imbedded in an insole - is it as simple to take them apart as a poster in the previous thread suggested?).

As such, I'd be looking for a way to fit the heaters to my existing footbeds. My initial thought was to put them in the liner under the footbed (with a small hole to run the wire out as previously suggested) but the Superfeet insoles have a foil base so is this a waste? If so, is it safe to fit the element on the surpace of the footbed, so directly under my foot / sock and, if doing this, how do you fix it in place to stop it getting mangled when I put my foot in the boot?

Thanks in advance, any and all comments greatfully received (as long as they aren't rude!).
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think I've found the solution for you: Heated Socks !

Battery Heated Socks

These where the first pulled off a google search: Search results here
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
trundlebunny wrote:

I have a set of Superfeet footbeds in my boots already which are fab, boot fit overall is spot on so I'm reluctant to change anything internally (I know the Therm-ic's come imbedded in an insole - is it as simple to take them apart as a poster in the previous thread suggested?).

You can get the Thermics not imbedded in an insole which fit easily to custom insoles and make very little difference to fit, they are very thin.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
trundlebunny, welcome to snowheads. snowHead Right decision to buy heaters, but it needn't cost you £150. Thermic battery pack from here http://www.skiequipmentuk.com/cgi-bin/trolleyed_public.cgi?action=showprod_1259 at £70. And for another £20 the trimfit skinny things you need to stick on top of your custom footbeds. http://www.amazon.co.uk/ThermicSole-TrimFit-pair-heating-systems/dp/B001FX0YVG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291029201&sr=8-1-fkmr1&tag=amz07b-21

just researched and bought this combo for my son in law, who fitted the heaters at the weekend and is thrilled.

Less than £100 including postage. the "anything technical" people don't do online ordering but were helpful and super quick when I spoke to them. Their trimfit soles were more expensive than amazon.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oooh, fabby! Thanks all, and especially for the buying advice pam w!

So you basicaly layer them up on top of the footbed? Also, I presume you had no issues with the Amazon supplier?

Thanks again, very much looking forward to days of skiing without feeling like I'm going to throw-up from the pain when I take my boots off!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
they go on top of the footbed, cut a small slit to pass the wire through being carefull to line up the cut so that the element sits where you want it to be...once you have cut one make sure the slit is in the same place on the other one..... cover the top fo the footbed with the sticky back cambrelle supplier....taking care not to run out of edge of it and to get it smooth into the heel cup of the footbed (use a scalpel to cut a single cut in the cambrelle from the apex of the heel to the end of it .... place one side down and allow the other side to overlap, you should get a smooth finish with a slight seam)

cut a slit in the lienr to pass the wire through this can either be directly below where it comes through the footbed or at the back of the liner...some liners have a slit either pre cut or marked ...if using ZIP FIT or any other flow liner DO NOT cut the flow packs
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Perfect, thanks CEM - order placed.

Last question - open to all. Is there an optimum position for the element to be placed? I suffer equally in all toes (or sometimes one toe, or alternating toes - seems to be no ryme or reason to it) so logic suggests right at the front underneath the middle toes?

Thanks again!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

so logic suggests right at the front underneath the middle toes?

Yes, I think that's what the diagrams suggest. They're under the "bend" of your toes (if you see what I mean). I love mine - fitted by CEM into my new liners, not tried in there yet. They don't make my feet feel "warm". They just don't get cold.

trundlebunny, how do you deal with your fingers?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Pam! Do you suffer from Raynauds as well?

I tend to muddle through with my fingers, I haven't found a perfect solution yet. My current combo is a pair of Icebreaker glove liners paired with Hestra mits but it isn't ideal - it's a bit on the bulky side and while better than gloves alone, doesn't really solve the problem. I periodically flex my fingers / ball my fists up which helps a little. Going to take a stash of hamdwarmers as well this year.

I haven't tried heated gloves yet but it may come to it if things get any worse, however, i can usually find a way to warm my hands up (even if it means sicking them in my armpits!) periodically so I'm less concerned about them than my feet which can have zero blood flow from the moment I go out which I'm sure compounds the pain when the blood comes back.

Oh joy!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy