Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Extra edge seal for skins?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just finished the nerve wracking process of cutting some colltex skins for the wife's skis and the tube of edge seal had a big air bubble in it. It looks like I'll be lucky to seal the edges on one skin, and that's being real sparing with the application Sad

Been googling on Facewest, colltex etc but it doesn't seem that these places sell spare edge seal.

So, a couple of questions:

How crucial is it to have the edges sealed?
I'm guessing crucial so is there anywhere that you guys know that sells spare edge seal?
If not is it a common thing, it says it just conatins Acetone and 2-butanone?

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ish303, I've always just run a lighter along the edge of the skin - not too quick, not too slow... seems to do the job well enough.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
offpisteskiing wrote:
ish303, I've always just run a lighter along the edge of the skin - not too quick, not too slow... seems to do the job well enough.

This ^.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hmm, cut my skins last year and didn't do any sealing of edges, there was nothing in the instructions/box???

Do they all need sealing? Mine were Black Diamond Ascension Nylon Standard Skins.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From what I've seen, Black Diamond Skins seem to be better quality than CollTex, both construction & performance.

I've had to re-seal edges in the field, re-apply glue and mend the tip fitment too (they're about 5years old).
Found their performance to be pretty naf too (poor traction & balling-up in powder), until I impregnated them with NiKWax TX10.
They now work quite well.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, not all skins need to be sealed.

snow_muncher, the newer Colltex are probably the best skins you can get. Light, great traction and a superb glue - just never fold them back on each other or it's new skins time.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i had the same problem last year with new skis that thwe edge sealant did about half of one of the skins after cutting. I tried the lighter trick, but it just seemed to singe the edge, maybe cos they arer mixed synthetic / natural they dont melt like nylon skins that seal with a lighter. There is a bit of fraying going on now after a few days this season on top of last season, so im on tyhe hunt for sealant too now. let me know if you track it down!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wasn't brave enough to try the lighter but manged to just about eek out enough for the second skin but had to keep smearing it sparingly with my finger rather than how they did it in the video.
I'll see how they fare at xmas and maybe try to grab some in resort if required.

Quote:

From what I've seen, Black Diamond Skins seem to be better quality than CollTex, both construction & performance.

I havent tried Black Diamond myself but some of my mates who do 20 odd days touring per season threw theirs away and went back to Colltex after using the BD skins last year.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy