Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Powder or Piste?

Poster: A snowHead
I have been using this forum for aprox 4 months now. It seems we have a varied difference in abilities and styles of skiers. Was just wandering what everybody prefered. I myself have never skied off piste so would have to say piste by default really but how about the rest of you......
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If every other day is a powder day then I'm happy (and so are my legs)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does it have to be either/or? I want it all! In my (limited) experience I have had equally joyous moments both on and off piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ohh, that's a hard one - like saying sex or skiing, v difficult to answer. If there's powder then I'll go off-piste, but if there were powder every single day not sure how I'd split it.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Piste with a bit of Powder on it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty the Snowman,
Quote:

Piste with a bit of Powder on it.

You would have to be careful not to ski into that fence you seem to be sat on though Very Happy Very Happy
wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Powder, all day, every day. Oh and spring snow, and bumps, and hard snow, and Dendix for the summer ! Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski, are you sure - I skied 5 consecutive days of powder this January - shin to thigh deep and my legs were so tired I was aching for some open piste blasting by day 5. I admit we don't take prisoners on our trips, up the first lift and home only when they shut / it gets dark. Skullie VIZ

Its the mix for me that flicks my switch as rob@rar.org.uk says
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm with Frosty the Snowman, Piste with say about 6 to 12 inches of fresh powder over the top, perfect ! snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You would have to be careful not to ski into that fence you seem to be sat on though
The week I learned to ski at Sauze D'Oulx I skied into a fence in resort centre and had to retrieve a ski from the front grill of a Renault 5 parked on the other side
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Frosty the Snowman, D G Orf, you mean hero snow?

I would go for light fluffy powder every time, but it's only recently that I've started to get the hang of it.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Powder, powder,powder,powder,powder, powder, powder, powder, powder, powder,powder, powder.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dave J, So whats your answer then?!! Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
POWDER! Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
it has to be POWder for me! Very Happy
snow conditions
Fluffy powder, preferably untracked (may mean getting up early) on or off piste. snowHead
snow conditions
Powder
snow report
Pure powder, though I'd of course have to get my legs in a bit better shape Smile Though every so often a wide open field of fresh courduroy (sp?) is nice for laying out high speed, large radius carves.
snow report
Piste - always, I dont like trying to find my skis in powder
snow report
ponder wrote:
Pure powder, though I'd of course have to get my legs in a bit better shape Smile Though every so often a wide open field of fresh courduroy (sp?) is nice for laying out high speed, large radius carves.

That's my take on it too.
ski holidays
I'm unfortunately with Frosty sat firmly on the fence! Sad I would love to say "POWDER" but I need more lessens before that is going to happen! Have tried the deep off piste at the side of the pistes but one of my attempts resulted in my skis stopping abrubtly whilst I carried on forward resulting in me flatout, unable to move and eating snow! Embarassed
latest report
IncogSkiSno, I am brilliant in deep powder, providing no deviation from the straight line is required. snowHead .
snow report
Hero snow for me too. Hell, I suddenly went from Plough Man (not ploughman's) to Parallel Genius due to hero snow.
snow conditions
Slaloming around trees in armpit deep powder, threading your way through waist-high bumps or weaving your way between bottomless crevasses and hopping off the odd cliff along the way - the only point of pistes is joining all this stuff up, and what is more boring and tedious than corduroy? I of course ski all this stuff absolutely perfectly - in the pub and my dreams Very Happy . Such a shame about reality! Crying or Very sad

(Drop the extremity level though about 70-90% - and then I am being serious)
ski holidays
Powder.

Piste is fun. Hard pack is fun. Even crud and slush can be fun.

But when there's powder, NOTHING ELSE MATTERS.

Piste skiing is fun. Powder skiing is an altered state of conciousness (on the one day a year I get it right)
snow report
Quote:

Powder skiing is an altered state of conciousness

This powder skiing; does it involve a rolled up twenty and a mirror.

Could it be that we are getting a little carried away here?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, no, powder skiing *IS* a higher state of being.

If I was fit enough, I would want to ski powder all the time. Since I'm not, and because I get fun railroading pistes, then I like to switch between the two while my legs recover.
ski holidays
ginger winger wrote:
I have been using this forum for aprox 4 months now. It seems we have a varied difference in abilities and styles of skiers. Was just wandering what everybody prefered. I myself have never skied off piste so would have to say piste by default really but how about the rest of you......
The above quote asks a different question to the topic title, namely "Powder or Piste". The initial post asks about off piste compared to on piste. There are a whole host of wonderful snow types off piste in addition to powder. There are also some less wonderful snow types.

I like to ski off piste and one goal is to move snow types from my personal "less wonderful" category into the "wonderful" category. Breakable-crust and really-thick-porridge-like-snow are current member of my "less wonderful" category. I have forgotten the other members.

On piste skiing has several purposes. Accessing the off-piste. Practicing technique. Social skiing with less able friends. Finding a restaurant for lunch. (In no particular order)
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adrian wrote:
...Breakable-crust and really-thick-porridge-like-snow are current member of my "less wonderful" category. I have forgotten the other members.....

Can't imagine they'll ever be in my favourites.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Could it be that we are getting a little carried away here?

No. Cool ...a shallow powder run is like skiing in a dream; so creamy smooth you wonder where the ground went... then you find a steep and go into a slow-motion freefall that seems to last forever and you wonder if the ground under the snow *ever* existed at all... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, oh I'm sorry where was I? I think I need to, um, oh excuse me...
ski holidays
Martin Nicholas, oh yes !
snow report
J2Dave, Thats fine, you are obviously not carried away rolling eyes
snow report
J2Dave, tissue time?
But almost as nice is fat, steep, wide red, empty and unmarked beyond the bison's cording, ice crystals flickering in the cold dry air as they catch the first sun as your world tuns to let it highlight every slight imperfection in your downward path, there's just you and maybe a couple of friends to hear as you click into factory fresh skis and point them toward the playground? wink
snow report
Quote:

ice crystals flickering in the cold dry air
This is a magic light that pierces the very centre of our senses.
snow report
No comparison - has to be powder. No other feeling quite like it, after the first couple of turns are made then the snow and gravity do virtually all the work for you.
snow report
Talking about higher states of being, this was me higher than a kite in the Dammkar last winter... http://www.lawrie.de/HiResolutionPictures/MikeDammkar.bmp (sorry only a bmp)
What do you need 20 bills and mirrors for?
snow report
Here's a couple more:
http://www.lawrie.de/Dammkar/MikeDammkar2.bmp
http://www.lawrie.de/Dammkar/PeterDammkar.bmp
http://www.lawrie.de/Dammkar/PeterDammkar2.bmp

I think the only word to describe skiing in those kind of conditions is 'Orgasmic'! Is skiing better than sex? Sometimes there's no competition!
ski holidays
I'd hate having to give up piste or powder.
snow conditions
For those who can(or think they can wink ) ski powder, then the choice is not difficult. I would prefer to ski on-piste if the off piste was frozen and very rutted - fillings these days are darn expensive to replace.
snow report
Kit Wong wrote:
For those who can(or think they can wink ) ski powder, then the choice is not difficult. I would prefer to ski on-piste if the off piste was frozen and very rutted - fillings these days are darn expensive to replace.

Neat skiing. Did wonder if you were destined to wind up aaonst the pole when I saw the opeining shot snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy