Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier/4-Vallees 2010/11

Poster: A snowHead
Another beautiful day. Pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1725472#1725472

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Skied from Attelas right down into Verbier and was pleasantly surprised. Pistes are hard, but have a soft sprinkly of scraped / artificial snow that makes things manageable. Run was slightly spoiled by Medran 1 being broken, resulting in a large queue for Medran 2. Verbier side of Savoleyres looks like a brown mud streak, don't know how much is open. Siviez / Nendaz link still closed at Prarion as no snow. Chassoure bowl officialy closed (lift still running) due to rocks in the entry. Take care, many insurance policies don't cover you on a closed run. Mont Gele closed, don't know why. Skiers left side of Mont Fort bumps quite nice. Highway to Heaven bare at critical corner, walk over the rocks or take your skis off in a rather precarious position. Right hand wind-fill gully at bottom of Gentianes in excellant condition because it is virtualy impossible to get into. Last section down to top of schuss extremely rocky. Quite busy as Paris holiday week.
Small ammount of snow forecast tuesday / wednesday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alan McGregor,
Quote:

Mont Gele closed, don't know why.

Almost certainly to prevent someone doing themselves a serious injury.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Steve Sparks, or worse.

Remember when it was closed for a couple of years after an American woman was killed (so I believe) and the court case was unresolved?

I think it is entirely reasonable of the authorities to reach a point where they say "too rocky" and close a run, whether it be a piste or an itinery.

I'm driving out on friday and will be there with the lad, Skidog, for 10 days, he is teaching little kiddies mon-fri for ES so if anyone else is about and fancy meeting up for a ski/beer etc please send a PM with contact details.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
14 Feb - just returned from a weekend in verbier, most pistes are open, but many are icy & rocky - the worst state I've ever seen in mid feb - more like late april. we heard they've had 8 weeks without snow, though thats not actually confirmed. Its all skiable, just not great fun. We gave up & went skinning for the hell of it. No queues at all though, the resort was half empty, few locals seemed to have bothered driving up. Fingers crossed the forecast snow arrives this week, they need it.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
High level cloud, descending, small snow flurries at altitude. Flat light. Windy at altitude, evidence of wind transport.

La Chaux & Lac des Vaux still ok. Attelas to Ruinettes good apart from the usual ice wall. Run under old Ruinettes 2 man chair very bare & icy, but path from there past Chez Dany to Medran was lovely. Gentianes very rocky at start & end, but steeper central pitches close to cable car good if you can get into them.

17-00hrs at Siviez, 1750m, been snowing lightly for about 2 hours, hopefuly more at altitude.

If it does snow properly, please be careful. There is a huge ammount of depth hoar about, often full depth, often hidden under a weak crust. This will form an extremely weak layer under any new snow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cloudy, grey, overcast, flat light. Some insignificant snow flurries.

Red run under Gentianes Jumbo cable car very icey and bare at top, then ok. Red run from top of La Chaux Express heading out left then back to Ruinettes (used to be an itinerary ?) firm but nice. Would never reccomend skiing down a closed run, but Chassoure bowl / Tortin bumps was actualy quite nice once you got in, even if you couldn't see a thing - maybe I'm getting desperate.

Highlights of the day :-
Watching 2 deer grazing in a glade just below Chez Dany.
The ever optimistic Nendaz Meteo forecast of 10 to 20cm of fresh, I doubt we got 10mm
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Red run from top of La Chaux Express heading out left then back to Ruinettes (used to be an itinerary ?)

That'll be Fontenays, a super little piste.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Damn... I was hoping for more.. am arriving out that way on Sat morning. Should I leave the fatties in the apartment and hire slalom skis? Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
At the moment I would say yes; generally the pistes are still in excellent condition given the lack of fresh snow. I've skied more on an old pair of GS skis this season than in the last five years.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should be out from Saturday - I'll be on telekit so if you see me say hi (previous experience of skiing in europe is that I'll be one of at most 5 tele skiers in resort next week).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Fresh tracks on Highway to Heaven !!

Ok, the fact that the fresh was about 1cm might explain why this wasn't quite as good as it sounds, and how I was the first in at 11 o'clock.

Slalom skis, or even ice skates, are the way forward.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No change. Got fed up of icy crowded pistes and went for a gentle skin up through the forest. Really enjoyed the tranquility and found myself getting positively grumpy with all the bustle when I arrived & the cafe & the piste. Mind you, even skinning track was icy, fell off twice, then tried out my new couteaux.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave Horsley, you'll be suprised, Tele is the new black. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IT'S SNOWING!!
ski holidays
I'd say about 10cm lower down, a tad more up top.
Wettish stuff lower down, but very welcome indeed!
Higher=powdery and niiiice.

Where have all the people gone though? Supposed to be mega peak week and the lift queues are negligible.

Read the reports from the mega French resorts (if you don't bother.....they are CROWDED) and book for Switz next year at half term, the difference is amazing.
snow conditions
rungsp,
Quote:

Read the reports from the mega French resorts (if you don't bother.....they are CROWDED) and book for Switz next year at half term, the difference is amazing.

Sssshhhhhhhhhh!
snow report
Pistes in excellent shape.

Tortin and Mont Gele are both open again.
Tortin is in great shape except for the usual issues with the entry point and first two turns.

Gentiennes however is a massive rock field. I've never seen it so bare....don't go there!
snow report
See my for sale item on other SH thread re 2 return flights 12.03.11 - 19.03.11, Stansted to Sion - ideal for Verbier.........................sorry for pushing them, keen to sell................bargain for someone!!
snow conditions
Great conditions on pistes.
100% coverage, lovely powdery stuff top half of mountain.
Mont Fort in superb condition....don't be afraid of what looks like a vertical wall from afar, it really is only steep, not THAT steep! Snow is soft and grippy and moguls negligable.

Did a Vallon Darby variation yesterday, some very deep powder that had been wind transported, some crust and some hard wind blown too.

Off to Meribel for a few days with a mate, TBH I don't think much of the 3V, contentious opinion here I know....
snow conditions
you're not alone Rungsp wink
snow report
Did L'Etygeon today a bit of wind crust at the top and a little bare lower down but hardly anyone about, bus back was only half full, spare seats even.

A few centimetres of snow this evening with more forecast for tomorrow
ski holidays
Back from Verbier with a cold - i thought it was remarkably quiet for half term week, hardly a queue all week. Did all three of the Itineraires down to Tortin on friday, and didn't think they were too bad bar where the Mont Gele and Gentianes routes combine where it was a litle rocky. Also did the Col des Mines to find that at the Col where it splits from the Vallon d'Arbi the vis was zilch and you could (just) see the next yellow post from the first. Fortunatley we dropped out of the mist/cloud after a few hundred feet. Vallon D'Arbi was very good early in the week (Monday?) just after all the fresh snow. Link from La Tzoumaz (where we were staying) to Verbier was closed all the time we were there (skiied it anyway) and the lower runs into LaTzoumas were very icy by the end of the day. Still a decent weeks skiing.

Was surprised how many teleskiers i saw - more than usual in mainland Europe, though you might not have noticed me as i stuck to parallel turns on the moguls and icy runs (of which there were a lot).
latest report
Noone skiing Verbier this week? Verbinet reporting a skier buried by an avalanche on Vallon D'Arbi yesterday. Luckily dug out by his mates.
snow report
BobinCH, Lucky guy, I have always felt that traverse was a bit dodgy, a good reason for not ducking under the rope.
ski holidays
still nice skiing but some nice slabs going off too Shocked Hearing uncomfirmed reports of a death "above lac de vaux" and another in crans montana (just across the rhone valley from here). be careful folks.
snow conditions
gilo, The one in Crans is confirmed in this morning's Tribune de Geneve http://www.tdg.ch/skieur-piste-meurt-avalanche-crans-montana-2011-03-01 which is also reporting someone killed close to Gstadd today http://www.tdg.ch/avalanche-gsteig-skieur-perd-vie-2011-03-02
ski holidays
Path on skiers right side of Vallon D'Arbi regularly gets taken out by massive slides from above. Better skiing slopes on the left side.

Pistes good.
Off-piste good, although not much untracked left, but Stairway was good enough to warrant doing it twice this morning. However, injury rate is astronomical because people are blasting about in the powder and there is nothing underneath and they are hitting the rocks. Take care.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've just returned from Nendaz. Snow was pretty good all of the way down to the village but it was a bit brown and thin in places. The link to Siviez via plan du Fou was closed (AGAIN - annoys me that they call it the 4 Vallees when you can't ski out of one of them!)

Siviez was good. The best snow was high up (surprise, surprise) and the top of Mont Fort was excellent. Managed to be in the first cable car up to Mont Fort so the black at the top was very good...although the chute down to the start was a bit icy. Itineries of Chassoue and Tortin were very good. Good snow cover although rocky in places (it was my first time skiing them so not sure what they are like usually).

Avalanche risk was 2 at the start of the week rising to 3 at the end.

All in all a good week...and both kids can now do their snowplough turns (5 and 3)!!!
snow conditions
Snow cover very very thin by normal standards.
Gentianes very rocky at the top and bottom.
Chassoure very rocky at the top, but nice once you are in.
Went up to Glacier des Etagnes, got very annoyed because skinning track had been destroyed by people walking up it. But fabulous powder over the back.
snow conditions
Anyone out there who can give an update on the off piste conditions: backside Mt Fort, Stairway, Vallon D'Arbi etc?

This is the Verbinet report from Tuesday http://www.verbinet.com/snow_report.php
ski holidays
Saturday pics here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=74993&highlight=

ski holidays
Just returned from Nendaz on Sat 12th March. Nendaz is again cut off from Siviez as the link is broken because of lack of snow on Prarion. I understand that the link has been broken for over 6 weeks. This is because there is no snowmaking on this area due to either objection from the "green" movement about snow cannon on Prarion where there are ancient 500 year old Larch Trees or about amounts of money that would have to be paid to various land-owners to build on the land. On the links from Siviez to Veysonaz drag lift Greppon-Blanc 1 has been out of action for nearly week which 1) mean large queues for Greppon Blanc 2 and 2) a 100 metre climb from the end of the lift to the path that leads over towards Veysonaz (absolutely appalling of the lift company to have a key lift out for so long). The runs down the Piste de l'Ours and to Veysonnaz village are in good condition. Over at Verbier all the pistes are in good condition including those over towards La Tzoumaz. The path from Savoleyres back to the lower levels on the Verbier side was closed on Thursday last due to lack of snow. The pistes in Nendaz are good where there are snow cannons but the lovely red Jean-Pierre run back towards Nendaz is closed (no snow cannons), whilst the blue run through the chalets and the Les Cleves area are icy and bare in places (no snow cannons). Last week the weather was wall to wall sunshine but quite cold at night. The area does need snow though.
A Final Rant:- I have been going to Nendaz for 25 years now and IMHO it is high time Telenendaz got its act together, invested more money to update some of its "creaking" lift systems!! ie broken lifts, lack of snowmaking equipment, and some old fashioned out of date up-hill transport - End end of Rant. Sad Sad Sad
ski holidays
DAVID SNELL wrote:
IMHO it is high time Telenendaz got its act together, invested more money to update some of its "creaking" lift systems!! ie broken lifts, lack of snowmaking equipment, and some old fashioned out of date up-hill transport (

I cannot agree with you more - until the Prarion area has proper snow making and the Les Fontaines drag and Plan du Fou drags are replaced by proper lifts, Nendaz will always be a bit isolated.

Apparently the big issue is that to upgrade lifts you need to get planning permission afresh and the lift operator is terrified that they will apply but that permission will not be granted and then they will have no links whatsoever(!) - I'm not sure if that is true or not however Televerbier has managed to update their lift system so there really is no excuse?

I am in Nendaz this weekend so hopefully there will be some snowfall in the next couple of days!
snow conditions
1556garyt, Hope that you have a good time in Nendaz. Rita, of Agency Tour St Martin, says that something has to be done about the link to Siviez via Prarion within the next 2 years. In her words "They have no choice". I cannot understand why Telenendaz is so backward about this. There is a lot ofd building going on in the village and soon the number of beds in the village will unable to be supported by the ridicilously antique uphill transport. Somebody ought to take the MD of Telenendaz over to see the Ski Welt in Austria where drag lifts and T bars are restricted to the nursery slopes and 4 pack and 6 pack chairs, as well as 8 pack gondolas are the name of the game! PS like your web site Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Re the Nendaz lifts is the big issue not meant to the World Wildlife Fund blocking development? I'm told they have all the funds in place but it's the politics are the issue. Or so they say. The operator is coining it in, whilst spending booger all.

We need a 4 man up to the top of plan de fou, both sides. If you look on the map it's not even a big jump from the top of Plan de Fou to Lac de Vaux, that would really open Nendaz up and something the French would just get on with.

I love Nendaz but is getting a real p I t a.
snow conditions
Ski lift politics all well and good but how are the conditions? We're thinking about aVerbier day as a change from the PDS
snow conditions
DJL, Pistes holding up well in most places. Hard and fast in the am and slushy in the pm. Off pistes is bumped beyond belief unless you want to make some long hikes. It's all down to how much snow arrives this week.....
latest report
DJL, Yes the pistes in Verbier were all fine last week with the exception of the south facing slopes of Savoleyres where there were slushy in the afternoon.
snow conditions
Steve Sparks, DAVID SNELL, thanks for that. The weather forecast (as posted in Avoriaz) for tomorrow/Thursday is suggestingsnow above 1600m so might come over and benefit from that.

Will park at Le Chable and stay in the area above Medran / La Chaux/ Gentianes/ Mont Fort. Is is in decent shape all the way back to Medran?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy