Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for my son

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all......the snow is here and got me thinking

Last yr introduced my son to skiing for the first time in the northern English resorts of harwood and yad moss a few times.
Then 1 day at cairngorm just after Easter. He skied down the lady and gun barrel and took every thing else in his stride. Well chuffed snowHead

Anyhow, hired skis all the time and I want to buy him some for Xmas. His fav were some salomon x wing 400 155 cm long which were ages old at yad and harwood
He disliked another famous make which were much more parallel in very similar conditions.
At cairngorm he used some other skis a yr or to older that were the newer model of the x400 at 160 cm long.He liked them

I think the above were at least 10 years old or older

Having looked at what is about ( don't want to pay to much ) thinking of staying with the salomon brand

Has anyone got any coments on what would be suitable, or had experience of the below. Think they are last yrs models

Salomon aeromax-s. 160 cm
Salomon x-wing 4 158 cm
Salomon aero s 160 cm

He is 15 yrs old and approx 60 kg & 5' 10" ( still growing at an alarming rate lol )

Thanks for looking and for any info

Martin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mpj5, Welcome to Snowheads. I've no experience of skiing in England/Scotland but have a daughter who's nearly 15 so I know of the problems of buying equipment for kids. The problem you are going to have is that whatever you buy he is quickly going to grow out of through improving ability and/or physical growth. I would buy something 2nd hand a couple of years old, perhaps slightly longer than those you've suggested, but a ski that is not too advanced for him.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I've always thought the X-Wing were great skis for improvers, not too stiff.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mpj5, Hi,,, I will realy recomended to you to hire skis,, I understand that you want to give him for Xmas, But in that age he will still grove alot,,, and also be alot better skier, and want to ski on better skis,, When my kids was in that age we hire all the time skis for them,, and we was skiing about 4 weeks in scandinavian mountain and the alps every year,, they was 16 and 19 year when they had their own equipe for the first time,, and they was on skis since 3 years old,, I also had alot experience as skiteacher in Sweden and I had also work in a skishop in the Alps,, Have a nice time on skis,,, and enjoy life,,,,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does he have boots, if not take him to have some fitted and buy them
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
At 5'10" even though he is fairly light you want something longer than 160cm. He is growing, and you want to try and get 2 seasons out of them.

I'd look at 165-170s.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Problem with buying boots is that they can grow out of them so quickly. I was lucky and got some for my daughter at 12, just a little on the large size, and her feet stopped growing at 13. She's now almost 15 and I had them measured for footbeds recently and they are now a perfect fit and will last her a couple more years until she needs adult ones.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd second the recommendation to hire for at least this year. He'll quickly grow out of skis you buy him as he gets better. Save your money for now but I think boots are important - I had some badly fitted boots for years which really held me back. I thought my technique was bad until I got some boots fitted properly!!!

Cheers
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thanks all for advice
he was skiing well this weekend on 160 long skis, but the boots that he hired were a bit uncomfy
think i will try to get some new boots that are a couple or yrs old .........and also cheeper than this yrs ...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
got him some salomon mission 4 boots and salomon aeromax Sr skis
think he will be pleased this xmass......lets just hope the snow lasts
does anyone know the difference between aeromax Sr & S model skis?
cheers
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy