Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Of Piste Difficulty Gradings

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Seen the expression "silver/purple" applied to off piste gradings of difficulty. Can anyone explain the off piste grading system "yellow" was the only colour I'd heard of before this? Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
macwad, are you talking about resort gradings, ski school gradings or maybe ski club GB who have there own grading system as well?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
silver and purple are Ski Club of Great Britain ability ratings

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skifreshtracks/myskistandard.aspx
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
macwad,

It does indeed sound like the SCGB ratings, however be aware that they refer to the ability of the skier, not the difficulty of a slope.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
macwad, I'm not aware of off piste skiing being graded by anyone. Some mountaineering routes are.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
macwad, French system sometimes used to classify routes (e.g. in Baud's "Aiguilles Rouges et Mont Blanc....") goes something like

F - Facile (easy)
PD - Peu Difficile (Not difficult)
AD - Assez Difficile (Quite Difficult)
D - Difficile
TD - Tres Difficile (Very Difficult)
ED - Extremely Difficult
ABD - Abominablement Difficile !!!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS - the last one probably shouldn't be tried at home
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, I thought the French Chamonix extreme skiing guide book had a grading system- that I haven't seen on the web- 5.1 etc?? also the Vamos guides have gradings for technical difficultsy (angle) and commitment- seriousness, stained/ away from resort/marked pistes/rescue etc.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
oh yes- there is also an off piste grading system in the la Grave guide book which has rock and ice climbs in as well as skiing/ski touring...can't remember the name
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yeah, grades in the Chamonix "Book of Death". Basically anything in the 5's is likely to be steep enough that a fall will be pretty serious. I think from about 5.4 onwards would be pushing the limits of what's skiable.

Most "normal" off-piste would be in the 3's, your average couloir or similar steeper/more engaged slope would be in the 4's.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also remember that off piste conditions will vary massively from day to day.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ed123, chalk thta down to my ignirance (although as I have a couple of books with grades in them, I have no excuse). I rather think I took the OP's question to refer to "ad hoc" off piste. All those little secret squirrelly stashes that I'm not going to tell anyone about, as opposed to more formal more "recognised" routes.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy