Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aviemore

Poster: A snowHead
Just trying to find somewhere decent to stay for next week - from Thursday the 2nd for four nights. Quite liked the look of The Boat House, £99 a night B&B, glass of wine and £20 dinner allowence. But the reviews are really hit and miss - people either love it or hate it. Second choice is the High Range Motel - staying in a one bed log cabin. £210 self catering for the four nights. I think the cost would be about equal once we have factored in buying food and eating out. The High Range has superb reviews accross the board. So, price being the same, do we stay at the Hotel and get the cooking done for us and a nice full scottish brekkie every day or in the Lodge as it has better reviews Puzzled Anyone been to either property? Opinions welcome, thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I stayed in the High Range in May a couple of years ago. Not sure I'd describe it as a log cabin, but it was a reasonable price for the two of us for a week (we wanted self-catering). The 'cabin' we were in was a bit tired, but comfortable enough. The restaurant/pizzeria at the High Range was very good, and it's walking distance into the centre of Aviemore (or it was in May, not sure it would be quite so pleasant in a gale-ridden December).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, cheers
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shimmy Alcott, jeez, the High Range, that brings back foggy memories of University races.

My father is a big fan of the Boat - I assume you mean the Boat Hotel in Boat of Garten?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
and OMG the Winking Owl's still going. An institution.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, under a new name, yes, thats the one. It did look lovely on the website - maybe a bit of sabottage re. the reviews? To be honest most that marked it down did so as it was a bit "tired" - but Rob reckons the High Range is too. Think I will go for the Boat and get my meals made for us - and no washing up lol.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Shimmy Alcott, the High Range was "tired" in 1987. I guess they've probably decorated since...

Boat of Garten is a lovely little village (although it's been some years since I visited). I can check my Dad's opinion if you like?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For that price you could buy a couple of down bags and bivi by the ski road.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
high range in aviemore 15 minutes from the ski hill righ at the start of the ski road, Boat of Garten village another 10-15 mins out via the main road or a bit closer via a back road (could be a bit dicey with weather). Boat is a nice wee place but a lot more to do in aviemore. High range just built the motel part a couple of years ago. that nextdoor la taverna restaurant is ace (same owners), and you're 10 mins walk from the centre of village. not sure if they did up the cabins when they built the motel

there is a nice restaurant in Boat too (the anderson, different from the hotel), and last time i ate in the hotel it was great, think the golf club around the corner allows the great unwashed in for a pint and your tea, but apart from that, that's pretty much it in Boat in terms of amenities apart from a couple of village shops (there is bizarrely a beverly hills section off up one of the side streets - great country houses and mansions for about a mile!)

Both are nice, but if you want to be close to the hill and have plenty of off-hill choice then aviemore is your best bet
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have to agree with what Barry says. High Range motel was completely rebuilt around 3-4 years ago but don't think the chalets were, my sister stayed in the motel and liked it but you would have to go somewhere for breakfast. Never been to The Boat but Boat of Garten is a nice village but few amenities. How far have you looked as there must be a number of places in or near Aviemore that have rooms available.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you can get good brekkies in aviemore too from about 7.30 onwards every day, the cairn (opposite train station) and mountain cafe (opposite plod station). Mountain cafe especially good - you wont need to eat for about 3 days after it Shocked .

damnit I wish I could come on my holidays here Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Winking owl is a great pub, definitely go if you're in Aviemore. To be honest I would probably want to stay in Aviemore, it will have more of a holiday feel to it, particularly with all the recent snow.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the restaurant @ the High range is nice, we ate there one night. It looked a bit "tired" though from the phtoos so we chose not to stay there - We stayed at the Ravenscraig at the other end of town, I can recommend that highly. The place next door looked ok,m and the rooms @ International Starters also looked okay.

If you feel like pushing the boat out then try the Dalrachney Lodge over in carrbridge, vv nice old place, the food is wonderful - try the venison, it;s great. Watch your teeth on the lead shot though. Edit: even if you don't stay here, gp fpr dinner one night. Just get a bar meal, it's the same menu as the restaurant but cheaper prices

http://www.dalrachney.co.uk/

It's worth having a look through this thread as much of the accomodation has been mentioned

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68286&highlight=
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I will be up for a week soon and a visit to the Mountain Cafe is a definite. Barry will the Cake Shop at Inchriach nursery be open in December, if we cant ski a visit there is a must.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, please
ski holidays
larry1950, not sure about inshriach, they seem to have some odd opening times sometimes, that said they always do a popular line in Christmas decorations so good chance they'll be open - try the peanut-caramel cake nom nom nom
ski holidays
The Ravenscraig and The Cairngorm Hotel get a lot of very positive comments from people.

Boat is lovely if a little out of it all.

Dalrachney Lodge is suposed to be very nice too but again a little away from things.

McDonald Hotels often have last minute deals so worth looking out for them, as do the Hilton at Coylumbridge.

At the very cheap end of things the Aviemore Youth Hostel is very comfortable indeed.
snow report
actually, if you can get a deal in the cairngorm hotel then it's probably the best in the whole valley, great food, brilliant pub (signs like "English spoken here" and "No ski boots in the bar" give you an idea - then there's the snuff machine Shocked ). never stayed in the hotel but very popular with travellers and has a big clientele of repeat visitors. Good shout on International Starters too, good place to eat and good deals apparently. As others have said, you should actually be spolit for choice next week as it aint too busy right now - snow will make it busier but still not too mad for a few more weeks

Bit of a fuss doing the rounds right now as someone wants to stick a travelodge up near the high range, cant imagine the village needs anymore beds but also imagine it likely to be quite popular
snow report
The chippy in Aviemore is half decent btw.
latest report
The Mountain Cafe is a must. Roo's Leap a good fun restaurant. The 'night club' is interesting!!

5% discount on www.holidayinaviemore.co.uk

If you email the discount code 'snowheads' until 5th Feb.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the info guys - will have a good look at all the suggestions later on and let you know what we decide.
latest report
Ravenscraig is closed Sad

Have booked Cairngorm Guest House though - as it has fab reviews on Trip Advisor, great location (#5 of B&Bs in Aviemore)

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
scotia wrote:
The chippy in Aviemore is half decent btw.
if you like your pizza deep fried - are they still doing it that way?
snow conditions
barry wrote:
actually, if you can get a deal in the cairngorm hotel then it's probably the best in the whole valley, great food, brilliant pub (signs like "English spoken here" and "No ski boots in the bar" give you an idea - then there's the snuff machine Shocked ). never stayed in the hotel but very popular with travellers and has a big clientele of repeat visitors.
+1. Stayed there twice last season, excellent and great value. Can recommend The Royal Tandoori too but not The Spice of India.
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, oooh - have a fab time! snowHead Looks like you've struck lucky with the snow - I hope you can get there alright! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Bode Swiller, The Cairngorm HOTEL was booked up for one of the nights we were staying but I found the Cairngorm Guest House which looks really good. Am gutted you wont be buying my birthday drink Sad

cathy, ah, dont jinx us!!! Laughing

New skis arrive on Monday. Hope the Scottish pistes are kind to my bases!
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
New skis arrive on Monday. Hope the Scottish pistes are kind to my bases!

You're brave!! I've only just plucked up the courage to use my "new" skis in Scotland, and mine are 5 years old Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
Am gutted you wont be buying my birthday drink Sad
I know, must be difficult. I spent enough money in the Doo Below last year that they surely owe me one or two. So, all you have to do is stride up to the big bloke with the beard behind the bar and say "Hello, I'm Shimmy Alcott where's my free birthday drink?" and he'll oblige (possibly).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, yeah, either that or can you phone the guest house and use your credit card to book a bottle for our room on arrival? Thanxs. Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
You have definitely struck lucky with the snow, there was tons of it yesterday, it snowed all day as well and is still snowing now with cold weather forecast all week to keep it nice and fresh, hope you have a great time. I was there yesterday and it was great, thinking about taking tuesday off work and will most probably be up next weekend as well, what a start to the season!

p.s I hope your new skis are fat or else you'll get lost in all the snow Twisted Evil
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy