Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar overnight direct to La Plagne!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

We're going on the Eurostar to La Plagne on Friday 14th January overnight so we can ski Saturday morning!

Has anyone else ever travelled on the Eurostar? What was it like?

We come back the following Saturday night so also get to ski that day too!

We have upgraded to what was called 'Leisure Select' but has now been rebranded so that we get bigger reclining seats, more legroom, a meal and a power socket for our laptops!

Can't wait!!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated!!

Shane
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whats it costing you to go on it?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It was basically the same as flying but we paid £50 extra to upgrade to leisure select! We depart from St Pancras and then there is only a 45 min transfer at the other end! No waiting in airports or baggage allowance either! Might even take my slippers lol!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm glad you are going leisure select as I think overnight would be a bit cramped in 2nd class.

We did the overnight leisure select once and it was great in terms of the extra days skiing. Travelling leisure select you are more looked after in terms of airline style meals complimentary drinks etc. You probably won't get the best nights sleep ever with the seats only partly reclining but it is a lot less hassle than changing in paris for a sleeper.

If you are going to la plagne you will probably be able to get out at aime la plagne station on the outward journey but will get on at bourg on the way back. check your transfer is meeting you at the right station.

I'd also recommend contacting your accommodation and finding out if you can leave your bags locked up somewhere or have early access to the room.

Hope your journey goes well and you enjoy the extra days skiing.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much for the info! Yeh u r right about getting off at one station and then returning on the other. I had seen that on the booking info!

I can't wait this is only my 2nd skiing holiday so am very excited lol and the extra 2 days skiing are a massive bonus!

Thanks!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I have used the overnight train several times now.
If you can sleep in a chair, you will be fine. TBH in jan you will prob find you can stretch out.
You will get a nice pack with some earplugs, blanket, socks, polos and eye patch.
The last few seats on the carriages take extra luggage.
The bar is expensive (take your own beer/wine).
The food is terrible. The great British rail sandwich is still alive and fouling the mouths of Eurostar travellers.
Beer cans come from the set of "Honey I shrunk the kids" but cost twice as much as a normal cans.

The bars normally a great laugh. I had a load of army skiers last year singing rugby songs ..hilarious.

You will not get the best nights sleep you ever had Very Happy

Having saturday on the hill in jan is priceless. I got two saturdays as powder days in vallandry last year.
Saturdays the hill is empty. I got fresh tracks on 3 runs down ON PISTE!

The journey back is completely different. Far cry from the party atmosphere on the way out.

Tux
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a comprehensive report on a day trip to Les Arcs:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=823002

Well worth reading.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow thanks Altis can't wait - thanks for all the info!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shnfox, I've taken this trip a couple of times.
Since you've gone with the more up-market version, unless things have changed, some of tuxpoo's comments don't apply - meals are adequate and some booze is free.
My main tips:
Take your iPod to block out ambient noise
Drink as much of the alcohol as they will let you to help render yourself unconscious
Try and sit as far away from the end of the carriage as you can (the pneumatic carriage dorrs are VERY noisey).
Spread out into vacant seats as soon as you are past the last stop in the UK.

Have a great trip Very Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
shnfox, welcome to snowHeads BTW snowHead

You mentioned, earlier, that the cost is same price as flight + a bit extra for the upgrade. As flight prices tend to vary so much (carrier, airport, time booked etc), could you provide an idea of the actual cost? If you'd rather not do it on this open forum, by all means PM me.

Thanks.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Currently Eurostar to Aime la plagne for +/- that time is £149 return (without upgrade); flights (Easyjet) from around £75 (without skis); of course there will be a bit to add on for getting to resort from Lyon/Grenoble. Unfortunately, cost difference betweem train and plane removes train as an option for me (though maybe one day will try it).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
£50 each way for upgrade
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
shnfox, Welcome to snowHeads
Unless things have chaged for this year, for La Plagne you get off the train in Aime and then it's a 35 minute trip up the mountain to La Plagne BUT on your return you have to go to Bourg St Maurice (for customs immigration etc) BstM means the 35 minute trip down the mountain and then another 30 mins+ to Bourg, so don't rely on skiing that last Saturday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My friends are just booking Easijet now for the end of Jan and are looking at £190 rtn.

How long is the train journey, end to end?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 26-11-10 13:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
boardiac, I'd much rather have train travel as an option if there was a closer comparison. Having used the overnight TGV for 2 trips in the past, it's much less stressful IMO, even with the Paris switch. I don't mind flying at all, but dislike airports, the queues, baggage reclaim and all the costs that pile up for transfers etc tec.
snow report
Hi Chasser i just booked my hol thru Inghams not idependently and the brochure price was the same wether i flew or went by Eurostar. We only paid £50 for the upgrade and obviously have to get down to London the Friday teatime.

We are staying at the Hotel Vancouver which was a new hotel for last year in Plagne Soleil so that should be ok!

I think we paid £750 all in including upgrades and stuff!

Hope this helps!
snow conditions
Hi bar shaker we board at St Pancras at 20.30 on Friday evening and arrive there at 06.30 including the hour time difference. If u take into considersation the airport waiting time, flying time and then transfer time, it just appealed to us to be on the train in one place with no hassle! And no long transfer at the end lol!
latest report
bar shaker, we're doing the daytime train ( and have done on a number of occasions). ~ 10:30 am out of St P, ~ 6pm into Bourg. TBH the cost of the transfers (when DIYing) from Geneva or Lyon as well as airport parking in the SE UK (or taxi's to/from) makes the price difference negligble, and the experience is signficantly better. IMHO of course!

(and you can take more than 100ml bottles too)
JW
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
shnfox, Welcome to snowHeads
Unless things have chaged for this year, for La Plagne you get off the train in Aime and then it's a 35 minute trip up the mountain to La Plagne BUT on your return you have to go to Bourg St Maurice (for customs immigration etc) BstM means the 35 minute trip down the mountain and then another 30 mins+ to Bourg, so don't rely on skiing that last Saturday.

the return leg leaves Bourg at about 1030pm so i don't think he'll be too pushed for time Wink
snow report
shnfox, many thanks snowHead Good to see TOs offering the option IMV.
snow report
Sounds good. We did the sleeper overnight to Aime some years ago and arrived up in La Plagne just in time to be offered breakfast at our chalet (Ski World) and plenty of space to change as the outgoing guests had left early. Very nice service, despite being a low cost operation. I've also done several trips by coach, but would only sit up all night (even in a reclining seat) if it saved me a fair bit of money.

I came back on my own (long story, OH had to go home on the second day to deal with an emergency) and had an entire 6 berth sleeper to myself.

Those extra 2 days Saturday skiing are really good to have. snowHead
snow report
shnfox, One tiny word of caution as its only your second ski trip. The lessons don't normally start until Sunday so you need to be happy amusing yourself on Saturday. Apologies if I've underestimated your abilities but I met a lady with her 2 children a few years back who came in on the early Eurostar and those lovely people at Crystal just dumped them in Les Arc at about 7:00am. No advice about where to leave their luggage, get equipment etc and they had never skiid before. When I found them she was in floods of tears so did my best to help them out. I'm sure Inghams wouldn't do that.
snow conditions
Maybe you would be able to book an extra private lesson on the Saturday and then do ski school from sunday.
snow conditions
We did the overnight direct Eurostar both ways last Easter & were so happy with it we're doing it again this coming February. We just bought the cheapest seats (bog standard cattle class) but found it fine. No it wasn't like sleeping in a bed but we got some sleep on both journeys, my only complaint would be the lighting in the carriage stayed pretty bright throughout the night. Price wise it worked out about the same as flying for us by the time we took into account no extra costs for ski carriage & very short therefore cheap transfers. Add to that the fact we were able to ski for 8 days instead of the 6 we'd have done if we'd flown & we found it a complete winner. I'm sure you'll have a great time snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
shnfox, We did the Snow Train when it was running getting out at Aime. One tip for you, don't bother pre-booking a transfer from the station to La Plagne - we tried that and got shafted. There are loads of taxis waiting at the station and if there are 2 - 4 of you, you'll find it quite economical. I think it cost us 50 euros for the 4 of us - not bad considering the bus was 12 Euros each.
ski holidays
Hi Dorset Andy i won't need any lessons so that's fine! Have had lessons at home and plenty of practice in Italy last year as well as Scotland and then the dry slope at edinbrugh. Am expererienced enough to get my way around and will make contact with the hotel to arrange somewhere to leave our bags so am sure it will be fine! That must have been awful for that lady in Les Arcs!

Hi Blitz yeh i cannot wait! Especially with all this snow at the minute lol! Am thinking a sneaky little trip to Scotland is on the cards before we go now seeing as they have had loads of snow already!
ski holidays
shnfox, How was the trip? We're also taking the overnight Leisure Select service in March, so would love to hear how you found it, and any tips you might have for us eg. take an extra bottle of wine etc!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy