Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for mixed ability group in March?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi – lurker posting for the first time. I’m in search of a recommendation for a resort for a mixed-ability group. Six of us are hoping for a skiing week (practically speaking probably in Europe) on 5/6 March. The other five could probably find a resort quite easily were it not for the complication of the total beginner – me.

The advanced people want a big ski area, with a reasonable number of black runs, maybe a bit off-piste with a guide.

The intermediates want to push themselves – a big ski area and blacks to have a go at. They really enjoyed Cervinia last year, though I get the impression the reds are a bit flattering?

The beginner – me. I really want confidence-building pistes and a good ski school; am averse to stereotypically scary ski instructors, and would really prefer somewhere with quiet pistes. I’ve got lots of cross-country experience, but no downhill except on dry slopes twenty years ago. Somewhere that had a bit of cross-country track would be great.

We’re not that bothered about après ski, and want to maximise time on the snow, so ski-in/ski-out would be great, and, of course, good snow. I'm not that keen on the idea of France, everyone else refuses to go to Norway. Is there somewhere in France not full of terrifying teenagers? What about Switzerland - Wengen/Grindelwald sounds quite encouraging.

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Portes du Soleil, Morzine or Avoriaz

Chamonix

St Anton
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
Portes du Soleil, Morzine or Avoriaz

+1

However, considering you are wanting Ski In/Ski Out, Avoriaz would be the best option, because when you leave your hotel you are on the slope, regardless of where you stop wink .
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nineveh, Espace Killy has all you need. Big mileage, all grades of piste and lots and lots of off-piste.

Cross country track on/around the frozen lake in Tignes. March should take you out of the half term melee and the altitude means that the snow holds up well. Plenty of good instruction available (see other threads on this forum) including various snowheads who teach there.

The lift system means that you can access some of the easier runs away from the villages but ride the lfts or gondolas down if you don't fancy some of the steeper home runs.

Good luck. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you dont want France try Les Crosets on the Swiss side of the PdS. 90 mins drive from Geneva airport. You can stay Swiss (yes the lift queues actually are better behaved, although teenagers are teenagers) and your friends can be in Avoriaz in 30 minutes - some good blacks there and you can get to them with three chairlifts if you think it out.

Village isnt brilliant for apres; Champery in the valley is better/prettier but you need to get the Planachaux cable car up, which can be frustrating.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nineveh, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Tignes or Les Arcs? Pretty sure both potentially offer all you're after. Ski in/out, variety and good learner areas with stuff to progress to.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

Have a look at La Plagne which is big enough to suit everyone.

The pistes shouldn't be too crowded in March and there are plenty of cross country trails, but also plenty of blacks, reds and off piste to challenge the rest of the group.

Good luck finding somewhere you like - and I hope that you love the downhill skiing!

Heather
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nineveh,
Don't think you will find many places really quiet that week. It is in the French holiday break and coincides with Fasching which makes a lot of resorts elsewhere busy.

Don't know if anywhere meets all your requirements but Monetier in Serre Chevalier meets quite a few of them.
There is very good skiing for all standards with a good size area, decent black runs and excellent off piste. Bits can get crowded but the Monetier end is genereally very quiet. For instuction Eureka ski which had an excellent reputation has morphed into New Generation with British instructors. There is very attractive Xcountry skiing which is pretty extensive.
Two things that don't meet your requirements it is a) In France and b) is not ski in ski out. If the French bit is the worry about terrifying teenagers , I don't think the Monetier sector will generally be a problem of being busy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There are 275 km of pists in the area of Grand Massif near Samoens so a lot of choice on different levels. Recommend!Smile
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't recommend the Grand Massif in the French holidays. If it's Fasching in Austria, maybe Italy would be the best bet?

But if you could do the following week everything would be much quieter. Where do you get the idea that France is full of terrifying teenagers? Their presence is more a function of resort than country - yes, you get them in some resorts in all countries (e.g. Tignes, St Anton) but not in others.

If you can avoid the French hols, and can avoid the biggest and most crowded of the resorts (and I would include Flaine in that category) you shouldn't be too bothered with teenagers.

Also, if you are a good cross country skier and can cope with downhill stepping turns etc you will find downhill skiing a piece of cake. just make sure you get some good lessons. I'm an experienced downhill skier, but even 2 solid weeks of lessons on cross-country didn't see me making much progress. I was fine on the flat, and fine going up gentle hills - got some gliding going. But downhill Shocked Shocked . Trying to snowplough on XC skis was a nightmare. I was learning to snowboard at about the same time and found that infinitely easier. You've probably got really good balance and you'll soon be running rings round your alpine friends. wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the recommendations - looks there are some good options in there. Unfortunately dates are pretty tight, and I don't think we can avoid the major holidays this year. Still, it looks like there's some good room to find something that will satisfy everybody.

Pam, my cross-country snowplough is quite decent, though less so on ice at the end of the day, and my step turn has been used in the wild even if it prefers gentle slopes, so I shall take your words as very encouraging!

Thanks very much! I shall be a skier yet.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You want to look at Whistler it has everything you want and it is possible to do it for near same price as Europe. That is low season over there. Ski school is good ski esprit is reasonably priced and puts you in a like skill group so you all come on together. Only 6 to max 8 in group and they all speak english!

8000 acres of skiing from crazy to easy. Ski back to village at that time of year dump skis in free storage (book with summit) and walk back to hotel stopping for the odd beer. It really is brilliant.

XC there is the whole of the Callahan valley when they did all the olympic stuff for hard work or easy XC from the village out round dedicated trails.

The happy service staff just make this the place to go to, you will never want to go to Europe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy