Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2000 suitability

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

Was wondering if the experienced 'heads can help me with some advice.

A few friends are going to Les Arcs 2000 in late January and I'm tempted to join them. The only issue is I'm also supposed to go with an (almost) newbie skier (about 2 days under ski). The rest of the group are intermediate to late intermediates so I figure that with a day or two of private tuition my newb friend could join the rest of the group on relatively easy runs (I don't mind some cruisey blues by any means).

The issue is - is that possible from Les Arcs 2000? I know that in the entire domain there will be suitable runs for a beginner (as it seems to be huge) but will a lot of them require skiing through reds or higher difficulty? Would the beginner and I be better off staying in one of the other centres in Les Arcs?

Also, given that we'd be going on 29 Jan would it be crazy busy? I checked the school holiday timetable so helpfully provided and it seems that the French kids at least will still be tied to their desk for the first week of Feb so I'm guessing it won't be horrible yet but would appreciate any thoughts.

Cheers,

:S
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you should be OK, although this is completely dependent on how confident your almost Newbie skier friend is.

We took my best mate skiing to Les Arcs 2000 for his first time on the mountain when he had only had 6 hours in the MK fridge. He coped absolutely fine, no problem with the blues there, however he moved on to Reds by the middle of the week, mainly as a response to wanting to keep up with the rest of us but also because he's just like that!

A lot of the runs above Les Arcs 2000 are pretty straightforward and you can get over to above Arcs 1600 without going on a Red and over on that side there are loads of cruisey blues to build up confidence on.

I think you should be fine there
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
slipper, one of the nice things about the Arcs area is that there are often blue and red routes starting and finishing together, but different in between. So if you are skiing together in a mixed ability group you can get a bit of a challenge in every now and again without having to abandon your friends altogether. And the 'between piste' is quite extensive too, again, to satisfy any urges you may get if just out cruising ( That's 'cruising' in a nice way...).

Your friend can always pop into 1950 for private tuition through Spirit1950 if the ESF aren't your thing.

The 2000 valley links easily into 1800/1600 without having to go for reds at both Bois de L'Ours and Combourciere (if you go via Transarc there is a red bit at the top of Reynard that can be a bit icy and steep early in the day, not advised for 1st weekers unless v. confident) - coming back via Transarc, Grand Reynard or Arpette - again, blues from all back to 2000, as well as reds if desired.

As kosciosco says, you can get almost anywhere in the domain on blues alone, they've laid it out very nicely in that respect (albeit some of them are a bit cat-track dull). But no need for a first timer to get a Paradiski pass, you can stick with Les Arcs - there is more than enough great terrain to find.

re crowds: there are pinch points which build up during peak times, so yes I doubt you'll be able to ski straight onto all the lifts that week, but again, once you get to know the resort a bit, there are always alternatives (although, IMHO at the worst of the lot, Pre St Esprit, the option is to get the free shuttle bus!). Perhaps the only one that doesn't apply to are the runs accessed from the bubbles of Varet, but even then the queue is rarely longer than 10 - 15 mins, so pick your poison.

HTH
Jim
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
one thing to bear in mind is the words of one of the Arc 2000 owners on here, calling the place Ice Station Zebra - not nice if you are a beginner anns moving slowly standing around a lot!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kosciosco, JimW, thanks a lot for the responses. Sounds like I'm on to a winner here.

JimW, I've never had any experience of ESF (done most of my skiing in Austria). Are they an acquired taste?

Cheers again,

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
slipper, you should be fine with the resort and the timing. ESF can be a bit hit and miss. Thankfully there are usually alternatives these days. Though I don't know if they is in 2000 or 1950.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slipper, Hi, as the others have said, you should have a good time for all levels in Arc 2000. It is quite an up-and-coming place right now.

As to the ESF or other ski schools in Arc 2000, if you want private lessons send me a pm and I can give you the names of a few good people. If you want group lessons, the ESF in Arc 2000 is fine, but like all ski schools it does depend who you get. Spirit down in Arc 1950 is OK as well, but costs more.

Have a good trip and hope to catch up with you in George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 or maybe the pub in Arc 2000. Toofy Grin

If you want to follow what is going on in Les Arcs before you go, the Les Arcs season thread in running in the snow reports section. Link here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=66382&start=280
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would really recommend Spirit in 1950. Our group all had lessons with them and found them to be really valuable. The nice thing is that they realise that skiing is supposed to be fun and organise their lessons with that in mind.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
some of the best runs I know for super simple blue cruising are in les arcs 2000. Go for it Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I bit the bullet and booked the trip last night 29/01 - 05/02! Another set of webcams to obsess about now.

snowcrazy, will send you a pm soon (once I work out how).

Cheers all,

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy