Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help required before my head explodes...

Poster: A snowHead
Trying to book a romantic ski holiday with the OH (a reluctant skier) and failing miserably at the mo...

Looking for a decent, boutiquey hotel with spa facilities, half-board, flights, transfers and ski passes for around £1000 each during the first week of Feb. Oh, and we're both quite into our food (in a quality rather than quantity way) so a decent restaurnat is important. Not asking for much really.... Any suggestions??? Ski area wise we were aiming for somewhere in Switzerland but not too fussed (as long as it offers decent piste mileage). I'd originally decided on Wengen but can't find a decent hotel there within our budget.

Thanks in advance.

Tom
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tommy4681, Tried the Alpenrose in Wengen?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tommy4681, for romantic I don't think you can beat Saas Fee in Switzerland and there's a few options there that would be around that markof £1000 though may struggle if you do want a fancy hotel to get the ski pass included in that price. Look at the Hotel Schweizerhof, the Saaserhof, maybe Hotel du Glacier. The Ferienart Hotel looked the business but is a bit out of the price range.

Been to both here and Wengen, both fantastic destinations but if you're looking for romantic I think Saas Fee wins due to the charm of the village. There are lots of good restaurants and reasonable night life too. Saas Fee has smaller "piste mileage" at about 100km but is enough I think. Zermatt would be the other obvious swiss choice for nice hotels and romantic but haven't been there yet and think it would be pricier.

Good luck!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you will be struggling to achieve what you want on that budget.

Surely the ski resort for romance must be Lech in Austria, that's where they filmed the skiing for the second Bridget Jones film. Lech has the type of hotel you want but not, I'm afraid, on your budget.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tommy4681, If you can venture just over the border in Austria I can recommend the Gotthard in Lech. Very Lovely.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Patch, was close to booking the Alpenrose as it seemed to tick most of the boxes. However, the lack of a spa was a bit of a turn-off (for the other half) plus I read that it was quite a walk (uphill) from the lifts.

Rowlski, thanks for the Saas Fee tip. Will take a look.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's not Switzerland, but you could have a look at The Hotel Crystal in Obergurgl (Austria) - we stayed a couple of years back and they have a fantastic new Spa area, and hotel itself is rather fancy.
If you want the full luxury treatment, be careful that you stay in the newly refurbished hotel (there's a bridgelink which connects to an older hotel - which is fine, but not nearly as flash as new hotel).

In fact there are quite a few quality hotels in Obergurgl with Spas - so might be worth checking them out too.

The ski area is nice - plenty of cruisey/easy skiing to be had.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.chalet-mounier.com/en/index.html

Not Switzerland though.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
........ or save your cash, there's a burger king near Tamworth. Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'd have a think about the Dolomites in Italy personally that have charming villages with spa hotels, lots of piste milleage and good food. Not too sure on the budget side of things.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hotel Glockenstuhl in Westendorf.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Can't help with the budget/gourmet hotel bit, but interested to know what it is about skiing which makes the OH reluctant. Are you a good skier and she isn't?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have the impression that Switzerland is generally the most pricey at present. Dolomites - Sella Ronda area (spectacular mountains) - or Austria might be a better bet, but I don't know the right sort of Hotels.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tommy4681, Highly recommend the Hotel Montana in Oberlech, if you want excellent food. Decent spa, albeit not huge. Any of the other 4*Superior hotels in Oberlech will fit the bill nicely. Whether you'll get in budget depends on how you're getting there though. http://www.montanaoberlech.at/index.php?id=51&L=1 The spa in the Sonnenburg looks much bigger (next door to Montana). http://www.oberlech.com/winter_en/index.html
Alta Badia in Italy is supposed to be very romantic and has excellent cuisine - not been though
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
May be a bit off-piste, but how about the Trentino Alps in Italy - Madonna di Campiglio has a reputation (AFAIK) of being quite charming and fairly "up market". The Hotel Maribel seems to have what you're after and isn't at all far from the slopes. A whole area pass will provide plenty of mileage and some great skiing.

The resort has just opened and they're reporting 105/30cms already. Being a town, there's bound to be other things to do and, if the SO does decide to get on the planks, there are some very benign blues (Italian blues snowHead) to learn/practice on.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the suggestions. Haven't had a chance to go through them yet but Obergurgl is looking like a front runner at the moment - lots of nice hotels which won't break the bank.

pam w, I'm not entirely sure where the reluctance comes from. Possibly due to the fact that she's not as good a skier as me and feels pressure to keep up/not to hold me back. It basically takes a lot of incentivising to get her keen (i.e. spas, nice restaurants, etc, etc). If push came to shove I think she'd definitely punt for a winter holiday in the Caribbean rather than on a mountain...
ski holidays
In fact les 3 vallees will be ideal, as you can't beat the number of michelin star restaurants around...

Have not looked into boutique type hotels but am sure there must be given that Courchevel is a gold mine...

Just a thought! Very Happy
latest report
Tommy4681, be aware that if you do go to Austria, everyone will be stark naked in the spa - everyone except the odd brit that is Smile
snow report
Quote:

If push came to shove I think she'd definitely punt for a winter holiday in the Caribbean rather than on a mountain...

Well that would be a bit of a disaster, wouldn't it? But it must be tough to always be feeling that you need to keep up. How long since she had some really good private lessons? If you were in the right place (Italy sounds great - only ever skied there for 2 hours but its stunningly beautiful) with a nice instructor, it could make a huge difference.

Another suggestion - when she has ski lessons, you have some snowboard lessons. Then go out together on some easy slopes in the afternoons - and chances are she'll not have too much problem keeping up (you might have problems standing up though). wink It would put the boot on the other foot - and give her the experience of being the stronger one.

That's assuming you're not already an ace snowboarder, of course.
snow report
Tommy4681, Eiger in Muerren?

Morgane in Chamonix?

Breithorn Champoluc?
ski holidays
michaelminhatkinson, I'd love a trip to the 3V but I think I'd probably be priced out of anywhere half decent...

red 27, you've rumbled the whole reason I'm tending towards Austrian spa hotels. There's actually no girlfriend. I just want to spa in the buff!

pam w, to be fair when we ski together I always make sure to let her go first so she doesn't feel the need to rush. She's had private lessons the last couple of ski hols and has improved immeasurably but (a) I've been skiing much longer and from a younger age and (b) my attitude is generally slightly more gung-ho. She's actually very good but just lacks confidence - I presume that will come with time. The snowboard idea is a great one but I'm not sure I could really bring myself to do it.... Telemarking on the other hand....
snow report
abj wrote:
It's not Switzerland, but you could have a look at The Hotel Crystal in Obergurgl (Austria) - we stayed a couple of years back and they have a fantastic new Spa area, and hotel itself is rather fancy.
If you want the full luxury treatment, be careful that you stay in the newly refurbished hotel (there's a bridgelink which connects to an older hotel - which is fine, but not nearly as flash as new hotel).

In fact there are quite a few quality hotels in Obergurgl with Spas - so might be worth checking them out too.

The ski area is nice - plenty of cruisey/easy skiing to be had.

We stayed here a few years ago and was exactly the place that sprang to mind. It was great apart from
the bit where I fell and ruptured my ACL.
snow report
Quote:

I'm not sure I could really bring myself to do it....

You need to ask yourself WHY you couldn't bring yourself to do it? Used to feeling totally in control and on top of things, and hate the idea of floundering around as an incompetent beginner after all these years?

That's exactly why you should. wink wink Putting your OH in the position of being the one who's able to hang behind whilst you pick yourself up and sort yourself out!

If you don't like the idea of that, then you've probably sussed why she doesn't see skiing on slopes that she knows you can ski effortlessly better than she can as her top choice of holiday!
latest report
My wife and I used to ski together in the morning (cue "I'm slowing you down", "but babe I just want to ski with you ! Come on let's get a hot chocolate..") but separate in the afternoon, and I always made sure to regale her with the great fast skiing I had enjoyed in the afternoon. Now she skis where I ski and I have to keep up with her Happy
snow report
Granat Schlossl in Obergurgl ?
snow conditions
I've heard good reports of the Omnia in Zermatt http://www.the-omnia.com/english/ No idea how much it would all cost though

Aah just checked about 4000 SwFr for the hotel only.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Thu 25-11-10 22:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Tommy4681, have you thought about skiing in Bulgaria?.....do it easy for the price you want to pay......and also some great traditional mehanas(restaurants in Bansko...pm me or email me for details...we can arrange all package apart from flights...flights are very cheap if you look to fly from easyjet gatwick or wizzair luton
snow conditions
Blewyn, the first part definitely has a familiar ring...

pam w, it's not the trying something new I'm afraid of! It's more paying a lot of money to do something I don't really have much interest in for a week! Presumably one falls down quite a bit when learning to telemark so that's definitely a possibility.

covkids, I think we were aiming for France/Switzerland/Austria this year but Bulgaria is absolutely one for a future holiday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Avoriaz , Hotel les Dromonts. Godd food,ski over to Champery in switzerland. Nice horse drawn sleigh to the hotel.
latest report
Maybe try for a chalet with a hot tub instead? That's swung more than one of my friends partners to seeing the joy of skiing and I think you could get in budget?
snow report
Crans Ambassador Hotel in Crans Montana was great a few years ago when we went with Inghams. Spa, food, views, easy access to lots of skiing. Check out web-site, not sure if UK TO's still use it.
snow report
Tommy4681,

Apologies it's not Switzerland but the Alpenrose in Arabba (Dolomites/Sella Ronda) may be worth a look. They are rated highly on TripAdvisor and I've seen the hotel from the outside and it does look nice. They have a Wellness centre and do HB. For the week 29/1 to 5/2 it works out at about £1050 for 2 people HB.

As there are several nice restaurants in Arabba you could go to a B&B. The Garni Laura is excellent (also highly rated on TripAdvisor) and I stayed there a few years ago. They have a really good Wellness centre. For the week 29/1 to 5/2 it works out at about £750 for 2 people B&B.

btw, I don't know if either of these would have availability as you would need to enquire with the hotel directly.

If you fly from Gatwick there are Easyjet flights to Venice and there is a really cheap transfer coach that is operated by a consortium of hoteliers in the Dolomites from Venice Marco Polo to Arabba, with the Alpenrose and Garnia Laura being members of this consortium.

It's 29 Euros return each, which for a 2.5-3 hour transfer is good value. The lift passes are about £200 each for the whole Dolomites area.

http://www.alpenrosearabba.it/eng/home2.asp
http://www.garnilaura.it/EN/default.aspx
http://www.dolomitistars.com/index.php?module=CMpro&func=viewpage&pageid=36

Hope this helps.

btw, I booked through a fellow snowhead Sueski when I went to the Garnia Laura, as she runs her own independant travel company from Arabba and can help with arranging the accommodation, transfers and provide excursions etc. It's just a recommendation and I only mention this, as some people prefer to book through a TO who has a local presence and none of the major TO's use these hotels but it is straightforward to book directly.

Hope this helps you
latest report
Guys, thanks so much for all the wonderful advice.

Having put together a huge list of great hotels off the back of your recommendations, the OH has now decided she wants to rent an apartment in Megeve. So that's where we're off to! At least it's booked. Hallelujah! On the brightside, I now have a list of 20 or so amazing hotels I'm desperate to visit over the next few years Very Happy
ski holidays
Tommy4681 wrote:
to be fair when we ski together I always make sure to let her go first so she doesn't feel the need to rush. She's had private lessons the last couple of ski hols and has improved immeasurably but (a) I've been skiing much longer and from a younger age and (b) my attitude is generally slightly more gung-ho. She's actually very good but just lacks confidence....

I can sympathise with your OH. I learned in 2006, at the age of 32, while my wife has been skiing since the age of 4. No matter how sympathetic the stronger skier is, it's incredibly depressing when you're toiling up the learning curve on slopes your partner can demolish with ease. I spent my first week in ski school and hardly skied with my wife at all - deliberately - but was determined not to slow the group down in my second week and had to dig pretty deep.

Impatient to get over this phase, I pushed too hard - scared myself half to death in a too-high ski school group in Whistler in 2007 (my second trip) and came close to packing it in completely after two bonecrushing weeks in Val d'Isere in 2009.

But I finally hit the sweet spot in Les Arcs this year, and genuinely loved the skiing for the first time - rather than just loving the idea of it. We're heading back to Whistler in January, and I'm far better equipped to appreciate it than I was last time.

Has your OH done group lessons? Different for everybody of course, but I've found a great sense of cameraderie in small-group lessons, which really builds confidence at intermediate level. Magic Snowsports in Meribel and Snowfun in Val did wonders for me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy