Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Posting video and asking for advice??????????

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone been brave enough to post a link to youtube of themselves skiing and asked for advice?

Shall I? Shall I not?

Decisions. It could open up a torrent of micky taking.

Cheers
Smag
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What is the worst that can happen?

Here are two short clip from Tignes last year.
Any constructive comments welcomed and any mickey taking will be taken fairly on the chin.

http://youtube.com/user/smagsmith#p/u/6/X5Hmp6c1Lu8

http://youtube.com/v/kSKFWroDZUo&feature=related

Cheers
Smag
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
smagsmith,
Quote:

Has anyone been brave enough to post a link to youtube of themselves skiing and asked for advice?

I'd recommend a tripod wink I'm sure there will be an instructor who knows what they are talking about with something more useful to say along sometime.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
maybe post a bit about how many weeks you have been skiing, what you are aiming for, what you struggle with

if you have been skiing :
10+ weeks = have more lessons
5 weeks = average
2 weeks = not too bad

I would guess you are between 2-5 weeks, ZZZ turns rather than SSS's
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From a quick look I'd say that your skiing would improve if you could develop better edging skills (skis are skidding sideways as they are too flat), and didn't rush the turn by steering (rotating) your skis too sharply when you start each turn.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Keep skiing past the camera - that way you can give us a couple of turns with not too much zoom and so better quality picture. Better to make a couple of turns at least past the cameraperson and have them follow you if possible.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger wrote:
Keep skiing past the camera

Although it is fun to "buzz" the camera man it is worth finding out a good distancece at which your camera will have you filling 2/3's of the screen so that when you ski past and the camera pans across you don't go out of the frame or out of focus or be lost completly.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski like the first guy in shot, over on the left.

Tell the cameraman to drink less, or possibly more.

Wear something with vertical stripes so we can criticise your knee bend.

Ski like you mean it, 11s in, you've got your hands in your pockets and are standing upright.

20s in you skid your outer ski with a straight leg.

37s you are in the 'back seat' for your arrival.

What were you trying to do on that run ?

Did you do it ?

If not what would you change ?

How do you think you might achieve that change ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good stance and balance. Like rob@rar, I'd like to see a rounder turn shape. You're rushing to get your skis into and past the falline. Lengthen the time you spend in the first half of the turn, before your skis have reached the point of pointing straight down the hill (the falline). Tip on edge, engage gentle, then steer very subtly. Don't tip and aggressively twist the skis into the turn, all in one gross and condensed movement. Try counting slowly to 3, between the time you start your turn, and the time you reach the falline. It's called a long radius turn. Have a look at this link.

Don't feel alone in having this issue to address. Along with balance, sorting out turn shape and ridding oneself of the typical aggressive twist/pivot at the start of the turn are the most crucial first steps the average skier needs to make to begin the process of taking their skiing to a new level. The default pivot turn start is pervasively common. Once you get it sorted, you're going to be way ahead of the average Joe/Jane
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
In the first video it's hard to say because at the start it's really zoomed out, then as you get closer you schuss and then jump, so as fun as it seems, it would be hard to give skiing advice. wink

I think rather than asking the question here, the best way you can improve your skiing is by getting maybe a 1 or 2 day lesson with a good instructor. He'll tell you exactly what you're doing wrong and how to improve it.

Nice faux pas at the end of the second video by the way wink Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
daehwons, spot on. I tend to do 3 day trips rather than full weeks. I have done 5 x 3 days trips in the last 3 years. Had 10 day holiday when I was 13years old and that was the only time I have had lessons. So everything is basically self taught, or advice given by friends.

I feel like I am skidding a lot and want to get more control at higher speeds without knackering myself out. I have watched a couple of videos about carving and want to stop skidding and start carving.

I also feel like I and too upright at times and not leaning forward enough.

Basically... I need some lessons wink

Cheers
Smag
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://www.youtube.com/user/smagsmith#p/u/20/V3TDEod9p0s

Here is another video with a little mistake at the 1 min 14 sec stage. See if you can spot it wink

thanks for all the advice

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
smagsmith, At first I thought you were the guy at the start skiing the gates Smile

You're at Tignes next month aren't you? Mountainsun have arranged good prices with The Development Centre for lessons, I can throughly recommend them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
smagsmith wrote:
I feel like I am skidding a lot and want to get more control at higher speeds without knackering myself out. I have watched a couple of videos about carving and want to stop skidding and start carving.

1. Search and read old posts on carving
2. Watch more videos - Try and relate the theory to the video and pick out the varous things being talked about
3. Lesson or 2 when next out skiing
4. More practice, it should get easier
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B wrote:
smagsmith, At first I thought you were the guy at the start skiing the gates Smile

Ha me too.

I was just about to berate him for being a smug show off Laughing
snow report
smagsmith wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/user/smagsmith#p/u/20/V3TDEod9p0s

Here is another video with a little mistake at the 1 min 14 sec stage. See if you can spot it wink

thanks for all the advice

Cheers
Smag

Ha even though it was quite subtle, I still managed to spot the fault. Did we find the thick snow wink lol...

Did the snow taste nice? Razz
ski holidays
Leeds_Skier wrote:

Ha even though it was quite subtle, I still managed to spot the fault. Did we find the thick snow wink lol...

Did the snow taste nice? Razz

I tried to show off and go a little off piste. Skis dug straight in and ...SUPERMAN... style dive. Mouth, Nose and eyes full of snow. But could not stop laughing at the time.

Cheers
Smag
snow conditions
smagsmith, good on you for posting the video. I did the same about a 18-months ago - so I can appreciate the pain involved!

I'm no where near good enough a skier to offer any advice, except to second the comments made about TDC (the Development Centre in Tignes). They're top-notch ... in fact so much so that I'm going for lessons with them in December! Very Happy
latest report
smagsmith, another thumbs-up to you for being brave enough to post footage of yourself. I've never been brave enough to do so. Not that that's stopped others from posting footage of me falling over - complete with "*S!"*!" and "B!**$!" soundtrack. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Hurtle, wink
snow conditions
Hi Smagsmith, I'm by no means an expert but i did notice (in the video where you nose plant) at around 20 seconds in when you start the turn you are leaning back try to get your weight forward. Try to always look down the piste when traversing across (dont look straight ahead) when you are about to commit to the turn don't lean back.

A good exercise is to try and lean back and then forwards while sliding down a moderate gradient and see what happens!

Have a look at these clips i found them helpful
http://www.mechanicsofsport.com/skiing/manoeuvres/sliding.html

Hope this helps!
ski holidays
smagsmith, LOL at the 'helloooo' at the end.

Loved the vid, sums up the fun to be had by the self taught Great British Intermediate snowHead

Now that you've got to the stage you are it's very defintely worth some professional instruction to get you over the imfamous plateau and allow you to really get more out of your skis and of the holiday.

Maybe you and you mate/wife can get a privatie 2-hour lesson each time you go and you will come on leaps and bounds.

Another vid at the END of this season would be very interesting
latest report
Thanks again for the replies. 2 days to go and I will put it all into practice. Or at least try to.

I think I will get some lessons in March when I have more time as only going for 3 days next week.

Smag
ski holidays
Well, I am back from Tignes and had a great time. Nice to meet a few snowHead .

As far as my skiing goes, I felt like I really improved on my technique when skiing blues. I had some really nice short turns going on. I think the biggest single difference was leaning foward more and committing to the slope. My friend got me pole planting and that helped pull my weigth forward. I also really liked the tip thatdreadnaught, gave about facing downhill more, that really helped too.

However, I found it hard to do the same things when it gets steeper. I just reveret to form and skid. Not only is this wrong, but it is really knackering. So I guess that it is just a confidence thing, but I need to be able to take my blue run form onto the reds and blacks. I just find it harder at faster speeds.

I also found it really difficult on day three when it had snowed the night before. One minute it was pard packed snow/ice, then it was 6 inches of fresh snow. I found this virtually impossible as everytime I hit the fresh stuff it felt like my skis sank and halved my speed.
I have seen a 1 day refresher course at Castleford that looks good.

"Ski Clinic
Day long clinic for intermediate to advanced skiers and anyone thinking about becoming an instructor. Covers Body Management, Carving, Short Radius Turns, Moguls
Includes video analysis, food & drinks 1 day coaching £99"

Not sure if it sounds a bit advanced for me though?????
ski holidays
smagsmith wrote:
I found it hard to do the same things when it gets steeper. I just reveret to form and skid. Not only is this wrong, but it is really knackering.

Skidding on steep terrain is not wrong, it's the right thing to do providing it is a controlled skid all the way around the turn rather than a big swing & twist at the start of the turn and then a straight exit into the next turn.
ski holidays
I was skidding to control the speed. My two mates were able to ski away from me because they took a more direct line down the slope, but I bottled it and reverted to skidding and traversing.
I think my technique was good enough on the blues, so I need to trust it more when it gets steeper in the blacks and reds.

Cheers
smag
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy