Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

second hand kit advice

Poster: A snowHead
Hi again,

I'm looking for some advice and pointers as to what a 5'5.5" 10st 7lbs female should look for in terms of brands and styles of second hand ski's & boots. Still pretty new to skiing so don't want to spend a fortune. They don't have to be the latest style, I need function rather than fashion!

Thanks in advance...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maddington, please don't buy second hand boots.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Buy new boots from a good bootfitter and hire the skis.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hells Bells, I did think that second hand boots might not be ideal - they really do have to be right don't they.

Spud9, Thanks Spud - I'm thinking that I eventually want to avoid hiring, hence asking for advice on second hand equipment.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Maddington wrote:
Hells Bells, they really do have to be right don't they.

more than any other part of kit you use
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Maddington, if you want to avoid paying a fortune yet buy new, have a look at T K Maxx - they often have some reasonable gear at very decent prices.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Maddington, not sure if they would fit, but I have the following for sale

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=69456&highlight=

Cheers
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Maddington,

As others have said, do not buy second hand boots.

If you do not want to buy new boots at this stage, at least when you hire in a resort you can try several pairs and change them during the week as much as you like if necessary.

If you buy second hand boots and they do not fit, the apparent bargain is money totally wasted.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks speedy, I have clothing already, all of whcih I bought at TK Maxx!!.Chasseur, It's equipment I'm after now. But I have no clue as to brands, models, types of ski's etc - that's kinda what I'm looking for pointers on.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Maddington, given the charges that airlines make for ski carriage these days it is almost as cheap to rent in resort as take your own. Especially if you pre rent using the various adverts on snowHead s.

As suggested above - buy boots and have them fitted properly. Rent skis until you know what you really want.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maddington, the brand and model of your boot should depend on which fits you foot the best.

Leave that decision to your bootfitter.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cool - okay, maybe not this year then. I'll get out and ski on hired ski's for a while till I know a bit more.

Thanks for the advice all Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if you are set on buying your own boots (and a good idea it is), you need to get a feel for what fits you ... different brands fit different types of feet, wider, flatter, etc

I always liked Salomons at entry level myself but that doesnt mean they will suit you. It comes down to trying different ones, either in resort or in a good ski shop in the UK.

And you must make sure you get boots of the proper level, not racers or whatever, as these are too stiff and will have insufficient padding. Dont be seduced by flashy colours!

If you have a Decathlon near you, try there, they had some good budget priced boots last year. Get them fitted in store though and don't be tempted to buy online. Tell the fitter what kind of skier you are and don't exaggerate your abilities.

Skis are slightly easier but again you have to know what you are looking for in terms of size (length) and design ... too advanced and you will probably find them too stiff and wont be able to control them at low speeds. Try ebay and the like but be careful out there. You are looking for "on piste" skis - ski magazines run group tests this time of year, you can get a good feel for the different classifications from that. I'm sure there are resources online for this too.

I second also what Tiger2 said, shipping boots and skis to and from the Alps isn't cheap. Best to get boots for now, and rent skis.

Cheers - Tim
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If I can hijack the thread with a related question........ How about second hand boots from a reputable retailer such as Ski Bartlett. Alternatively with Edge2Edge you can hire boots & skis and if you like them buy them on return or wait until seasons end and buy them at close to half price. They also do insurance that covers the cost of having to rehire if your boots do not suit when you begin to ski with them. I would be interested if anyone has views on either of these two options.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
palumbex, they may be reputable, but can you try them on?
latest report
Hells Bells, Yes both have retail outlets. In fact Ski Bartlett only do second hand in store and charge you for the fitting process. With edge2edge you try in store well before you leave and they then deliver to your departure airport to be collected (and returned to) left luggage. As my holiday this year includes carriage I am seriously thinking of using them.

As it is yourself Hells-Bells who is replying it is my opportunity to ask you a question. Is the shop ALPHAND LUC SPORTS in Le Bez close to the Club Med. I am staying there but the Club Med ski hire is too expensive. I have never been to Serre Chevalier before and I just can't wait to get there.
ski holidays
Maddington wrote:
Thanks speedy, I have clothing already, all of whcih I bought at TK Maxx!!.Chasseur, It's equipment I'm after now. But I have no clue as to brands, models, types of ski's etc - that's kinda what I'm looking for pointers on.

Sorry Embarassed bit of an RTFM moment there.

Wouldn't bother buying skis just yet. A friend of mine bought a pair of 6 week old rental boots from a resort hire shop because they fitted so well. Good a good price too - about a third off the RRP.
ski holidays
Maddington, Second hand boots can be a minefield but as long as you get a chance to try them on before you buy and you have "normal" feet (and for a beginner especially) they'll probably be just as good as rental boots.

The benefit being you can sell them on ebay after a year or two and probably get your money back and invest in a new pair when your skiing has improved and you really benefit from good well fitted boots.
snow conditions
Thanks again for your advice.

I'll continue to Hire for now (I intend to try ski in Scotland a few times this season hence preferring to buy my own kit) But I'll start doing some research and get advice from bootfitters before I make a purchase.

Thanks for your help Very Happy
latest report
Maddington, stick around on here and you may find a few kindly souls to go skiing with Very Happy
ski holidays
Maddington, As others said! Buy new boots that are right for you, you will be advised correctly if you go to a decent bootfitter either in the UK or in the resort! I prefer the resort as you can go back day after day and get all the adjustments you may need. As for skis, you can pick them up in edge2edge and the likes for a decent price!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy