Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmet Cameras

Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks;
Looking for a helmet camera, and suggestions (or one's to avoid?)

Thanks in advance.....
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well the best start would be to enter the competition as somebody is going to win a 1080P Oregon Scientific headcam with GPS unit snowHead

As far as further advice goes though, there's a lot of choice these days so the first question really is, "What's your budget?"
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I never win competitions!

I haven't really thought about a budget, I don't want to spend loads, about £150/£200 maximum, just want plenty for my money (don't we all!)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Standee wrote:
I never win competitions!
yes, well lot's of people who have won stuff from snowHeads have said exactly the same snowHead

We had about a thousand entries last year and there were about 20 prizes I think, so that gave a 1 in 50 chance of a prize but hey, if u never win, why enter? Wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Instead of constant references to the (no doubt wonderful) competition, does anyone has any actual advice about the topic in question?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Standee, Do a search, plenty of posts on this recently.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go Pro HD - around 250 pounds. Done.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Contour HD is currently £205 on Amazon.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It has been covered quite a lot but seeing as the search function is utter w*nk, I think you can be excused for not finding the info (that is if you actually looked). Just use the google site:XXXXX function. that works best. I would say its between contour and GoPro though and i'd probably go with GoPro out of the two. There are another couple of cams about but the GoPro and contour are pretty well proven.

EDIT: Also, i wouldn't chose based on videos from the manufacturers websites. I don't know how they do it but average joe's clips never look as good.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a about 20 GoPro HD (wide) and can testify to the quality of the output, they are not the smallest, lightest nor do the have the most user friendly interface. However in terms of image quality they can't be bettered by the current crop. If you want an endorsement, the BBC use them extensively and if you ever watch the GT racing on Channel 4 on Sat or Sunday mornings, then pretty much all of the in car footage is using go pro cameras.

If anyone wants to try one I'm based in Northampton (about 25 minutes from the Xscape sh't dome). I'm happy to let a few snowheads have a play if they are on the slopes.

Andy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
meant to say, and in case it wasn't obvious.

I will not charge (as long as we can agree a snowheads day) and someone doesn't want several cameras for a whole day. Plus xscape would have to be okay with videoing. Plus big boys rules. As in you bend it you mend it!!! Unless of course you would like to formally hire 1 or more units which can be done as it's one of businesses!!

Possibly planning to visit hemel week commencing 20th with my kids for some lessons so may be able to offer the service there that week also....

Andy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ansta1, how does the GoPro cope with bright conditions such as snow and full sun? I have the ContourHD and after just a little bit of playing with it have been a bit disappointed with its bright light performance. Snow details just gets burnt out as it is over-exposed. I'll play with the settings more this Christmas, but so far not been terribly impressed with it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I purchased the GoPro HD (Helmet version) about 9 months ago (having been really disappointed with a cheaper cam from oregon scientific) and cannot be more pleased with the results. It was fine in bright conditions - full on sunny etc in the snow, over-exposure never been a problem - as well as being remarkably good in twilight conditions also. I also used it cycling the coast to coast earlier this year, as well as using it for scuba diving in the summer. An earlier post stated £250, but I think that will get you the "naked" version so will not come with the range of mounts etc.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I believe the go pro hd with the mounts is 299.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes £299 is the standard price (and Go-pro like oakley and others) protect this price point through their resellers. There are bargains on ebay (calumet photographic) quick often have 2nd hand models at pretty good prices. Also my supplier will give a discount if I by 10. Roughly equals by 9 get 1 free.

As for coping with bright lights. As with all cameras the main issues is moving from dark or flat light to bright sun directly in through the lens. With the go pro hd wide it becomes slight worse (as it's wide angle so the chance of getting the sun is more, but once the camera has adjusted it's fine and in bright conditions this flare is less pronounced.
snow conditions
There are some reviews of some of the latest helmet cameras at http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/reviews_of_helmet_cameras. You might find them useful as they highlight the good and the not-so-good features of some of the most popular models on the market.
snow report
Thanks to everyone for the replies, am going to do some shopping around this weekend.
snow report
Without doing my research again there are a few cameras out there that have the sound recorder at the rear so you dont get the sound of the wind as you trave, I have used the bullet cam before and there is a lot of noise from it, there is a camera which is fixed in the center of a set of glasses which points where you look so you know you are picking up what you see, it also has a red laser so you can pick out what you need to.
snow report
The Go-pro mic is at the rear and you have 2 types of case (open or closed back). IIRC The open back is not recommended for outside use at speed (see 100mph) or in cases where water ingress is an issue. Unless you are planning on mounting the camea on the ski or boot, or are likely to have a major ski/pole/leg/arm cartwheel crash then the open back is likely to be fine and capture good sound quality. we use the open back when mounted in car or in a low wnd noise situation. the closed back for underwater, high speed or wet situations. If you buy the go-pro kits they comes with an open and closed back by default and these take about 30 seconds to change.

I'll post some non-skiing vids as examples.

and just in case anyone is thinking. I don't work for or am tied to in any way go-pro or their resellers, I just use them for my business as I think they are the best ones for the service we provide.

regards

Andy
ski holidays
rob@rar, I bought a small circular polarising filter and gaffer taped it on to the front of my contour hd, stops the washing out on a sunny day. you just have to remember to take it off on a cloudy day because otherwise everything will look dark
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy