Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Child focused ski resorts

Poster: A snowHead
I am planning two ski holidays with my 9y son next season. My wife has decided that she will not be coming on either trip so it will be just the two of us.

The dates of the trips will be new year and Feb half term. The other thing my wife is steadfastly set on is that I can't take him out of school for a week. She has however conceded that I may take him out for one day on the Friday before half term.

Both trips will be heavily focussed on him enjoying it so I am looking for a resort that fits well with that. I will be booking him a limited number of private lessons (these work out much better for him than group) so we will be spending a lot of time skiing together, as a result I won't really get the chance to make the most of any steep red/black runs, bumps or off piste.

All the resorts on my radar are high altitude resorts with a good amount of challenging skiing (think Tignes). However what my son needs is interesting blue runs.

We have been to Les Arcs 1950/2000 the last couple of seasons but when skiing together we don't really make the most of the ski area at all. We are going to Saas Fee in April this year but I have noted that most of the mountain is dominated by red runs which may be a bit too steep for my son.

What I am looking for is:
Snow sure - I'm only interested in most of the groomed runs and lifts being open so I'm happy with somewhere with good snow making
Plenty of blue runs linked together without needing to ski red/black runs
Less busy resort with fewer lift queues
Accommodation very close to the pistes (ideally ski in ski out)
Good, relatively reasonably priced private lessons (quality is key here so if the lessons are amazing then I'm happy to pay from them)
Accessible by train in a day to/from London (preferable)
Fun runs (or similar) for kids
Friendly laid back resort

Not bothered about
Apres Ski
Expert Skiing
Fancy Restaurants etc.
Prettiness of resort
Kid's entertainment off the snow (he's usually so tired out after skiing all day we don't need to go to a pool or bowling or anything like that)

Any suggestions would be appreciated please
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Henwc, I am sure you will enjoy Sass Fee. Get the boy in lessons and he will be more than comfortable on the reds there in no time.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Access by train seems quite a big part of the criteria here so if you google that it will give you ideas.

There was someone going by train and hence ideas in this thread https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164222

I think you are definitely thinking along the right lines although I wouldn't be overly concerned about avoiding red runs. Piste gradings vary anyway but some pistes are only graded because there are one or two short difficult sections and also a lot depends on the conditions - if the snow is good (pliable/grippy, no bare patches) then they can be a lot more skiable for that 'early intermediate' type.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Henwc, not by train, but most places in the dolomites would suit - e.g. corvara or colfosco. Most resorts in the Ski Amade, except Flachau for sure, have loads of blue runs and with fun runs, but more likely to be busy at half term
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Valmorel (train to Albertville), Mauriene valley resorts (train to Modena), Courchevel (train to Moutiers), Flaine (train to Clusaz) spring to mind, but all will be packed the weeks you suggest. However, you could look further afield. It may be possible to get somewhere like Zakopane (train to Krackow then bus), or Jasna (train to Bratislava) or even one of the Blackforest resorts.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
To clarify the train thing is not such a big deal

@zikomo, He has the private lessons booked so I'd expect he'll be fine. Also the Saas Fee beginner area next to the village is underrated in my opinion so he will be able to have a good time there too. If things go really well we might be able to ski from the top to the bottom of the resort although this will depend on how steep the red run coming off the glacier above the Morenia lift is this year. I remember it being very steep a few years ago.

@Layne, Accessible by train is a preference not a firm requirement. I have been a bit too stringent on this one which is why we always end up in the big French resorts like Les Arcs.

@holidayloverxx, Thanks the dolomites does appeal and the boy does like pasta

@johnE, Thanks for the suggestions
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Henwc, I'm confused. Have you now booked, including the lessons?

Would just say that you'll not escape the crowds anywhere at New Year. Easter is early next year - wouldn't write that off. Easter can be a great time - long days (lifts open longer too) and at least as likely to have good snow as New Year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, I think he means he has lessons booked at Saas fee for this April
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@pam w, The booked lesson comment was in reply to Zikomo about my Easter 23 trip to Saas Fee, sorry should have been clearer.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Henwc, OK, no problem! I agree with zikomo that your lad will probably come in in leaps and bounds in a week with good lessons - he'll probably be nagging you to do more difficult runs!

For half term next year I'd suggest you look for somewhere in Italy. French resorts will be crowded.

New year is the difficult one - always busy and expensive everywhere, and with no guarantee of good snow outside the usual "high altitude" options. Maybe Scandinavia?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Take a look at Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis in Austria. They have various Kinder friendly certifications and regarded as the gold standard for teaching kids. The main teaching area is a large bowl leading form a plateau at the top of the main lifts. They also make it easy by having ski / boot storage at the top (they will even transport them up to the top for the next morning if you decide to ski down to the village). Many hotels are geared around kids.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Henwc, Cool. You will both have a great time! I am absolutely sure he will be up the main mountain for most of your week. It might be best, though, to download not least as the run out at the bottom needs quite a bit of speed.

Come back and tell us all about it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Henwc, I've been looking at resorts that are easily accessible by train. I've not been there, but Les Saisies seemed particularly straightforward by train. Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Albertville and a short bus or taxi ride. I was very tempted but wussed out and booked Tignes based on the prevailing conditions.

You probably already know this, but all of the Tarentaise resorts are easy by train.

I also recently discovered that Interrail passes for under 12s are free, so could work out pretty cost effective way of traveling. (£214 for Interrail pass for you, plus about 80eur for reservations. You might need to pay for reservations for your son as well.)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is a few years since I was there with young ones, but I definitely echo @johnE and the Valmorel suggestion.

And whilst I have not yet been there, I did research Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis and it was very high on my list especially the Kinder friendly places as mentioned by @Ozboy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I don't think there are any bus options from Albertville to Saisies but I'm out of touch with the present arrangements. But taxi wouldn't be ruinous. Despite loving Les Saisies and having spent four months a year there for 15 years, I wouldn't recommend it for new year or half term. We left for the whole of the French February/March school hols and swapped our apartment with friends who then lent us theirs in quiet weeks in mid January or mid March. No money changed hands. I borrowed one of them, from French friends, just last October.

Some people seem to think that if a resort is not in the brochures of the UK tour operators, it will be quieter. A rather blinkered view...... it's full of French people. Plus some Italians, some Dutch and Belgians and a sprinkling of refined and well brought up Brits who have discovered it for themselves. wink
ski holidays
Ozboy wrote:
Take a look at Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis in Austria. They have various Kinder friendly certifications and regarded as the gold standard for teaching kids. The main teaching area is a large bowl leading form a plateau at the top of the main lifts. They also make it easy by having ski / boot storage at the top (they will even transport them up to the top for the next morning if you decide to ski down to the village). Many hotels are geared around kids.

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis looks great, quick check of the Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis piste map shows a lot or red runs, are these a bit easier than the reds in large French resorts? The red runs in Les Arcs or Tignes would certainly be a bit much for my son.
snow report
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@Henwc, I've been looking at resorts that are easily accessible by train. I've not been there, but Les Saisies seemed particularly straightforward by train. Eurostar to Paris, then TGV to Albertville and a short bus or taxi ride. I was very tempted but wussed out and booked Tignes based on the prevailing conditions.

You probably already know this, but all of the Tarentaise resorts are easy by train.

I also recently discovered that Interrail passes for under 12s are free, so could work out pretty cost effective way of traveling. (£214 for Interrail pass for you, plus about 80eur for reservations. You might need to pay for reservations for your son as well.)

Thanks, the Tarentaise resorts by train are our usual option, I even managed to do a weekend of two full days skiing there while still working Friday and Monday once. I'll look at the interrail option, I usually just buy an SNCF railcard to get discount fares. However if I'm traveling outside France I'd expect interrail to save a lot of money (assuming it works outside France).
snow report
@pam w, when I've been through Albertville on the TGV I've noticed there are buses sitting there with Les Saisies on the front. Altibus timetable shows 8 buses on a Saturday.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
@Henwc, I'm confused. Have you now booked, including the lessons?

Would just say that you'll not escape the crowds anywhere at New Year. Easter is early next year - wouldn't write that off. Easter can be a great time - long days (lifts open longer too) and at least as likely to have good snow as New Year.

I completely agree that Easter is best and I have been a few times, the difficulty I have with skiing at Easter is that my wife's family all get together every easter which means the bank holiday period is already blocked out. If the school holidays fall in a helpful way I can still grab a week but it isn't always possible, 2024 looks ok though because easter is at the start of the holidays so I might swap out the new year week for Easter.
snow conditions
@sugarmoma666, that's good, if there are now buses. Used not to be the case. Les Saisies is ever more popular though, for good reasons. snowHead
latest report
Henwc wrote:
Ozboy wrote:

Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis looks great, quick check of the Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis piste map shows a lot or red runs, are these a bit easier than the reds in large French resorts? The red runs in Les Arcs or Tignes would certainly be a bit much for my son.

The layout of the piste map is is distorted and misleading as it understates the size of the main teaching / improving ski area in Serfaus. There is quite a bit where I have highlighted in the picture. The home run into Serfaus is tough and it’s completely the norm to download but my kids (in lessons) and i termefiate wife managed to ski to the Serfaus village. I have not skiied in the French resorts you mentioned but I can say there is as mush variety for an intermediate as there is in PDS where we are now based. I don’t think it’s a problem especially if your children are taking lessons and they will progress.
ski holidays
sugarmoma666 wrote:
@pam w, when I've been through Albertville on the TGV I've noticed there are buses sitting there with Les Saisies on the front. Altibus timetable shows 8 buses on a Saturday.

Yes they looked popular when we were there, quite a queue outside the tourist office. I think they are timed to coincide with trains from GVA and Lyon airports.
latest report
@Henwc, the Björnen area of Åre would tick all of your boxes, except the train part. There are direct flights from some airports in the UK, I think. Or Trysil, an easy transfer from Oslo.
snow conditions
I’d suggest Montgenevre or la Rosiere. Snow carbon website has useful info on reaching these and other resorts by train.

Nb someone mentioned Flaine above and the station for that is Cluses (not Clusaz).
However I’d avoid the Grand Massif those weeks as it gets very busy.
snow report
Saint Francoise Longchamps would also be an option, train st St Avre La Chambre then short shuttle bus up the hill to resort, linked to Valmorel and lots of blue options.
latest report
Took our youngsters to Geilo (back then Dagali airport was 30mjns transfer away - a deciding factor initially). Found the Norwegians cared brilliantly for kids on slopes and nursery. Dagali now closed but can drive, train or bus instead from Oslo.

Beitostolen also tried with the kids and likewise friendly.

Went to the Alps as they grew up but back to Norway recently and can say that Trysil seemed likewise child-friendly.
ski holidays
From what I’ve seen, Austria has well price ski passes for youngsters.
ski holidays
Serfaus (as mentioned above) is superb for kids, the ski school is excellent and is entirely built around making sure that kids have a good time. CORRECTION Sadly the UK half term matches the Dutch one next season, which is not good news. It will be very busy when the Dutch arrive. Serfaus is not ski in/out but it's very convenient, even though it's a linear village the undergound train means that most accomodation only requires a short walk.

I'd say the reds we're not too tough, but comparing piste grades across resorts is not simple, there are no rules as to what a blue/red/black should be. We've been twice at half term and I will say the pistes were immaculate and well maintained.

Train access is good, the nearest station is Landeck which is easy to get to via Zurich or Innsbruck then it's a ~1 hour bus or ~30 min taxi to Serfaus. Not sure it's doable in a day though, but seat61 is the best place to research that Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks All, Lots of good advice.

I think the general message is:
The Alps will be busy at NY and HT even if I go to a less well known resort, I guess that makes sense because otherwise how can the lift-co stay in business
Austria and Scandinavia offer lots of options for family friendly resorts and you have given me a great list to check out
Scandinavia will be more likely to be quiet at NY and HT, but I guess it will be cold at NY?

Has anyone skied Sierra Nevada (Spain) recently? I went there a few times when I was younger and I remember there being a lot of wide blue runs and easy reds. New Year would be a massive risk there snow wise although I think they have a lot of snow cannon. Obviously no train there though.

I'm going to do a spreadsheet with all the options to weigh it all up side by side. Hopefully I'll have enough new information to avoid my analysis suggesting Arc 2000 self booked like it usually does!
ski holidays
I’d suggest Torgnon (Aosta Valley)
Nice quiet resort, no queues during the week.
Would make a good family resort especialy for kids, prices very reasonable to eat & drink.
The ski resort is sheltered from the north winds and enjoys lots of sunshine. The runs are served by four lift facilities that go up to an altitude of 2250 m, and three magic carpets serving the ski school located within the Winter Park. This superbly equipped facility includes several snow tubing tracks, snakegliss and zibob, inflatable, a trampoline, Rotocubo play equipment, climbing structures and various equipment with slides and swings.
Slopes: 3 easy – 6 medium – 1 difficult
1 gondola lift – 3 chairlifts – 3 magic carpets

www.torgnon.org
www.scuoladiscipuntatzan.com
snow report
@SkiPuntaTzan, Thanks, this is just the kind of place I am looking for. Do you have any idea how busy it would be at new year and UK half term? (I assume still very busy)
ski holidays
@Henwc, We took our kids to Ruka in Finland for their first ski trip this new year. It's great for beginners with most slopes easy and its small so it always feels manageable. The temperature was anywhere between 0C and -20C, but as long as the kids were wrapped up it never felt like it was a problem.

It was quiet for most of new year, I think because the Finns from the cities stay away because of the temperature, but it did get a bit crowded on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day. However, I think February, including Feb half term, is when the Finns come out to play, because when I looked on the webcams then it was properly busy. I would avoid it for Feb half term.

Ruka has a 20 minute transfer from the airport at Kuusamo.

Note that for 2024, not all UK schools have their half term the same week. Peak half term looks like w/c 10 Feb, but some aren't off until 17 Feb.
snow report
Henwc wrote:
@SkiPuntaTzan, Thanks, this is just the kind of place I am looking for. Do you have any idea how busy it would be at new year and UK half term? (I assume still very busy)

On New Year it is very busy, but in February it is pleasant especially during the week.
snow report
SkiPuntaTzan wrote:
Henwc wrote:

On New Year it is very busy, but in February it is pleasant especially during the week.

Thanks
snow conditions
Norway, particularly Skitstar resorts, do skiing for kids incredibly well.

We were in Trysil last year and they are really geared up for family skiing.

Rather than just have a single carpet and nursery slope they had multiple lifts, a mini-slalom course, a mini ski run through a forest with music and lights and a mini-snow park with little rolling jumps. I was genuinely shocked at how much better it was than the minimal support there is for kids and families in alpine resorts.

Despite what you have heard, it isn't really any more expensive than France either.

http://youtube.com/v/pzkGlhKHFJc
snow report
Henwc wrote:

Has anyone skied Sierra Nevada (Spain) recently? I went there a few times when I was younger and I remember there being a lot of wide blue runs and easy reds. New Year would be a massive risk there snow wise although I think they have a lot of snow cannon. Obviously no train there though.

My and others' experience from Lisbon is that SN is a nice place to ski for a few days, but don't take a week from UK just to go there to ski, you risk being disappointed. The weather /snow is very temperamental.
ski holidays
Are the Scandinavian resorts OK for daylight at NY / mid-Feb?
ski holidays
Taking Trysil as an example. We were there in early January and lifts opened at 9am, then getting dark around 3:30pm.

Night skiing was offered on select slopes (including the kids area) from 5:30pm several nights per week.
snow report
@Orange200, Ruka is pretty much fully floodlit and skiing carries on into the early evenings. At NY it's "kind of" light from about 9.30am to about 3pm, but a lot of that is more like a cloudy twilight and it isn't really fully light until mid morning. It's quite odd and quite hard to describe. The floodlights and the gradual change between day and night mean you don't really notice it getting light or dark.

By mid-Feb it's similar daylight hours to the UK winter I think, so light by the time you're getting going in the morning and evening/dark about 4pm.
ski holidays
I'd suggest one of the Norwegian resorts for the Feb date if you are prepared to fly. Trysil or Hemsedal, for example. Our kids had great lessons there. The instructors really wanted the kids to have fun. Wouldn't recommend Norway for New Year on account of the relatively short daylight hours and the cold.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy