Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help me choose a French resort for a quick getaway in April

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, beginner here who tried skiing for the first time in January of this year and now there's no stopping me! snowHead

After a week in Saisies in february (oh how i loved that week) i want to go back somewhere first week of April for 3 full days of snow. Where can i go that I'm sure to have snow? I only do green and blue runs for now so i cant see myself going to the top of a glacier.

The resort would have to be easily accessible by train (+ a bus?) from Paris. For now I'm looking at:
- Les arcs (super easy access by train but expensive-ish), and are there enough beginnerish runs?
-alpe dhuez (intrigued by all the beginner runs, but will there be snow on them?)
-les saisies has many fantastic blue runs for me and i would love to go back, but im afraid it might be too low for april?

Im travelling alone and don't need nightlife so that's not a consideration. I just want to practice my turns. Smile

Open to any other suggestions. Enjoying discovering this exciting new world of skiing!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

i cant see myself going to the top of a glacier.

maybe not, but don't be afraid of somewhere where you can go up high in a gondola, do some easy runs, and come back down in the gondola. In April high runs will often be much easier than low ones.

Also I won't be the first snowhead to suggest that you sign up for some lessons - an instructor will find you the right slopes.

Les Saisies probably isn't ideal - I'll be there with my kids and 8 grandchildren, because they love the place, but I'm sure there are better places for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam, and i do intend to sign up for at least one 2-hr lesson. Good luck with the eight Shock (omg) grandchildren!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There will be snow to ski on in Saisies, if you don't come up with anything else! Familiarity is nice when you're an early learner.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

To whet your appetite - LS this morning!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@BananaBread, you would have a great time in either Les Arcs or ADH. Will be enough pistes open for what you need.

Going to Bourg and getting the funicular up to 1600 would be super easy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd check the snow reports, which I haven't.

Glaciers are usually easy, so no necessarily anything to avoid. However from what I recall the Alpe d'Huez one is a bit of an exception, with the harder runs being up there. Les Deux Alpes, in my memory at least, has the easy stuff up top, which is probably where you want it, late season. Les Arcs is brilliant, but it's going to be expensive because of all the runs and connectivity you won't be using... so probably better to aim somewhere smaller, as you don't need miles and miles of pistes you'll not use.

Some of the larger places are somewhat night-club oriented too, where as smaller "family" resorts can be more civilized at night.

Anywhere with snow ought to work. If it's for 3 days, then maybe find somewhere within easy reach of an airport.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks better than in february! Very Happy beautiful!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd add Les Deux Alpes to that list, it's got the glacier which has easy runs with virtually guaranteed snow.
Also i'd be thinking about Tignes as well.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
On glaciers, though the runs are often easy, T-bars can be off-putting for beginners.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can get from Paris to Oulx by train which is very close to Montgenevre which generally has good April skiing and is inexpensive with good blues.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've never really skied on glaciers. If the only place in a resort that is decent/skiable is the glacier I wouldn't bother.

LDA is a marmite resort - wouldn't risk it personally.

Agree you don't need the size of Les Arcs but it's very convenient train wise, especially for a short trip.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Train to Modane then pick up the bus to Val Cenis or Bonneval Sur Arc which will give you cost effective accommodation, easy access to slopes and pretty reasonable lift passes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would go to Montgenevre (train to Oulx) or Val Cenis (train to Modane). Both these resorts are beginner friendly and have some high north facing slopes.

Les Saisies would have the snow cover but its a bit lower so might be a bit heavier going. Sainte Foy is another one to consider.

Les Arcs has good beginner terrain above Peisey Vallandry and above Arc 1950/2000. (Arc 1600 is the least suitable village for beginners) In your position I would try Montgenevre or Val Cenis first and go to Les Arcs when you are a bit more confident and can make the most of the larger ski area.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BananaBread,
Alternatives from Bourg St Maurice - la Rosiere, Ste Foy, Tignes, Val D'Isere.
Or could get off a stop or two earlier for la Plagne or the 3 Valleys.
snow report
andmelffion wrote:
Train to Modane then pick up the bus to Val Cenis or Bonneval Sur Arc which will give you cost effective accommodation, easy access to slopes and pretty reasonable lift passes.

Val Cenis is a good shout but Bonneval is probably a wee bit small for someone at that stage. Its a lovely resort but tiny and the better runs are red and black and the few blue runs served by pomas from memory, one of which is a bit fiery.
Valfrejus or La Norma are also readily accessible from Modane I think,
snow report
Well thank you everyone for the great suggestions! Am furiously googling bus connection timetables.
@Layne what do you mean by "LDA is a marmite resort"?
I'm excluding LDA from this go-round as i have a reservation there for Christmas... So what is this marmite business and do i need to rethink? Laughing
snow conditions
BananaBread wrote:
Hi all, beginner here who tried skiing for the first time in January of this year and now there's no stopping me! snowHead

After a week in Saisies in february (oh how i loved that week) i want to go back somewhere first week of April for 3 full days of snow. Where can i go that I'm sure to have snow? I only do green and blue runs for now so i cant see myself going to the top of a glacier.

The resort would have to be easily accessible by train (+ a bus?) from Paris. For now I'm looking at:
- Les arcs (super easy access by train but expensive-ish), and are there enough beginnerish runs?
-alpe dhuez (intrigued by all the beginner runs, but will there be snow on them?)
-les saisies has many fantastic blue runs for me and i would love to go back, but im afraid it might be too low for april?

Im travelling alone and don't need nightlife so that's not a consideration. I just want to practice my turns. Smile

Open to any other suggestions. Enjoying discovering this exciting new world of skiing!

First week of April is a great time to ski - probably my favourite!

But it's been a weird year so far so beware. The snow in the last few days have definitely freshened up the slopes, but with the lack of base, what looks beautiful and white now can quickly disappear in a few warm days.

Given the lack of base, I'd be viewing ski areas that have plenty of slopes above 2000m. Generally this season - over 2000m has done pretty well considering, 1700m-2000m has had snow, but also had to survive some high temps and rain, and below 1700m has not had the best time.

As we head into late March, temperatures generally rise, so (without a cold spell and fresh snow) some of the lower slopes will be hanging on for dear life!
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
andmelffion wrote:

Val Cenis is a good shout but Bonneval is probably a wee bit small for someone at that stage. Its a lovely resort but tiny and the better runs are red and black and the few blue runs served by pomas from memory, one of which is a bit fiery.
Valfrejus or La Norma are also readily accessible from Modane I think,

Bonneval is small given they are only going for 3 days, but is guaranteed snow and there are a number of blue runs and none of the drag lifts are fiery - perhaps they’ve slowed them down a bit as even my draglift hating wife found them all ok.

Valfrejus and La Norma are very accessible from Modane though La Norma closes on 7th April and snow conditions weren’t great there last week. Perhaps the plateau at Valfrejus would be ok but again low down not great at present. Val Cenis with its north facing slopes may be the best option.
snow report
andmelffion wrote:

Bonneval is small given they are only going for 3 days, but is guaranteed snow and there are a number of blue runs and none of the drag lifts are fiery - perhaps they’ve slowed them down a bit as even my draglift hating wife found them all ok.

I've been there a couple of times in April and loved the place ,admittedly quite a few years ago I remember the lower /mid runs getting soft pretty quickly as they are a bit more East facing and the upper runs staying good. I didn't remember any blues from the top chair I have just looked at the piste map and see there is one I don't know if it is new or I just misremembered.

I just remember my kids having to carry some slalom poles up one of the pomas and getting yanked off their feet.
latest report
BananaBread wrote:
@Layne what do you mean by "LDA is a marmite resort"?
I'm excluding LDA from this go-round as i have a reservation there for Christmas... So what is this marmite business and do i need to rethink? Laughing

Some people love it, some people hate it.

I've only been one day, a long time back but I've read it's an upside down resort - tougher runs lower down and easier runs higher (you can always download). Also I think the town is very strung out.

There is only one way to find out if you love it of course.
ski holidays
I've skied a bit there - in winter and summer. Good snow, plenty of variety (and I managed to ski La Grave - not well, but I did it). Most people with any sense just download in a lift in Les Deux Alpes, as @Layne suggests. People whose sense of personal worth and masculinity is particularly fragile do sometimes struggle with that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy