Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Meribel - New Year week? Opinions please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.

Husband an I both have some time off between Christmas and New Year. We've been following the snow reports and tracking tour op deals.

We quite fancy Meribel as we've never actually skied in the 3 valleys. There is quite a bit of snow in the forecast so looks ok ish.

Can anyone confirm under at least ski normal conditions whether Meribel is a good choice snow-wise? Also any advice on best slopeside accomodations or where to avoid would be appreciated. Which good mountain restuarants are a must-do???

Many thanks.

Farry snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Farry, It'll be fine. You have the whole of the 3V to ski, up to 3200m. We have snow now, in Meribel, there will still be snow at New Year
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks - that's what the web cams are telling me, reported snow seems to be a different story so I'll go with my eyes Shocked & the advice of others.

Any advice on where abouts in Meribel is best to stay? Or what are the must do restuarants/bars either on of off the mountain? I know I'm being lazy and could look some of this up but I'd rather ask a real person.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Le Rond Point. Best apres bar in Meribel. You'll have to ski down or get a taxi depending where abouts you are staying.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Farry, i may have a cancellation for new years and my place in mottaret may be free... www.skimottaret.com
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wangan wrote:
Le Rond Point. Best apres bar in Meribel. You'll have to ski down or get a taxi depending where abouts you are staying.

Really? Puzzled It seemed to be overpriced and full of arrogant tw@ts the one time we called in... Zig Zag's up in Mottaret is much more on the money for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret wrote:
Farry, i may have a cancellation for new years and my place in mottaret may be free... www.skimottaret.com

What price for that week?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wangan, Totally agree, I was at the Rond Point last new years, there was a quality band on and decent prices on beers. I just about remember boarding back down to the Chaudane (sp?) one of my friends got lost on the way down, not sure how as it's a pretty straight run. We went to Jacks for more drinks, then back out to watch the fireworks.

What I remember, it was a great night. I was staying in Brides with my buddy who was a rep (he has a ginger beard for anyone who might know him) but stayed up in Meribel that night with different reps.

Farry, If you do go, I hope you have a wicked time. I'm off to Andorra this year, but not until mid January.

Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
EvilWeevil wrote:
wangan wrote:

Really? Puzzled It seemed to be overpriced and full of arrogant tw@ts the one time we called in... Zig Zag's up in Mottaret is much more on the money for me.

Absolutley agree, Mottaret was much nicer, more local and Fun than anywhere in Meribel , but I am not called Hugo Double-Barrell. That said it was also chav central some nights.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mottaret is better for slope-side accommodation and easy access to skiing. Meribel better for apres. Rond Point and go either way, I've had excellent apres there, but also been stuck next to Chelsea idiots going YaYaYaYa the entire time, but mostly you'll have a ball there.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You wont go wrong with Meribel, if you really want it to feel like New Year, with a party atmosphere then make sure your actually in Meribel!! The ski area is fantastic, a great choice of restaraunts and lively apres.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me, I'd always choose Mottaret, but then access to the skiing, and not being surrounded by Brits, is more important for me than being in party central. I was in that bar at the Rond Point one morning last year (waiting to meet my son, who was working just up the hill) and was amazed at both the prices (happy hour beer more expensive than miserable hour beer in many other resorts) and by the complete lack of anything French - all the words on the wall were English and so were the small bunch of customers nursing their early morning coffee. It made me feel rather peculiar. A bit like going into a curry house in Bradford and finding the entire thing - menu and all - only in Bengali. Still, I suppose that would please some families on holiday from Bangladesh. wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, Think you summed it up very well here, Meribel not my favourite place for that very reason, more English than any other ski resort I have ever skied in. OK if you like to be surrounded by Brits but not for me - in the Alps I'd much rather be more amongst the locals rather than the London types and prices to suit (by the way liking your reference to Bradford curry house, not far from me and they take some beating!!) wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy