Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SWINDON! Snowdome?

Poster: A snowHead
Well, we need one in the South and Swindon is central and on the M4 Very Happy
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-11820732

Quote:
Swindon Borough Council is looking for a private company to build and run the ski slope on land on the Hawksworth industrial estate.

Some good comments at the end of this article, one of which points out that the proposed site is near to the very successful Swindon Designer outlet village.
http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/news/8679389.Users__concern_at_Oasis_sell_off/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fingers crossed, swindons almost local.

Well 40 miles instead of 50 to Hemel

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 23-11-10 23:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Swindon would be a good centre with Bristol, Oxford, Reading, Cheltenham and Gloucester all within about an hours drive. Swindon as also a place that needs more investment.

The Oasis swimming pool was a popular day out when I was much younger though.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
Swindon Borough Council is looking for a private company to build and run the ski slope

I think there are lots of borough councils looking for private companies to build and run ski slopes. Trouble is there don't seem to be many, if any, private companies who want to invest £25M+ in building leisure facilities...

Swindonites: don't hold your breath would be my advice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, Quite, ifirc there is a similar deal on offer from Southampton Council.
http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/4879975.Developers_queue_up_to_build_snow_dome/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A search of the BBC website news section reveals plans for snow (or ski) domes in the following places.

Suffolk
Swindon
Southampton
Sunderland
Gywnedd
Weston Super Mare
Cardiff
Blackpool

any more.....?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
+ Swansea

Unless certain infrastructure / development costs are met by the specific council etc (or funded by other more profitable arms of a development) then these schemes are about as viable as Wales winning the next rugby world cup Little Angel
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

or funded by other more profitable arms of a development

I wouldn't even say that's likely at the moment. Large resi developments need to be substantially sold off plan, and shopping centres pre-let before banks will release funds for construction. But there is no off plan market in the UK at the moment, and no retailer wants to take a pre-let in the current climate...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, interest rates for funding such 'speculative' schemes as a snowdome would also be high
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rayscoops, I wouldn't say they'd be high as the loans would be non-existent right now. The only way to fund would be with equity.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar wrote:
Quote:
Swindon Borough Council is looking for a private company to build and run the ski slope

I think there are lots of borough councils looking for private companies to build and run ski slopes. Trouble is there don't seem to be many, if any, private companies who want to invest £25M+ in building leisure facilities...

Swindonites: don't hold your breath would be my advice.

'ere Rob, that be good advice........ i been holdin' my breath for 45 seconds now wink and it don't seem to be helpin'..............ooo arrr
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well we have been holding our breath now for many years (apologies for resurrection of an old thread!) Very Happy
Work started in October last year, and is now under way... not sure of ETA for the ski slope in the overall plans (though rumoured to be sooner rather than later...
but new plans shown now here:
http://www.oasisleisure.co.uk/development
- 200m slope
- teaching slope
- fun area

so will be largest in the UK

Quote:
The Moirai team is led by Martin Barber who was the founder and developer of the X-scape brand which was behind the Milton Keynes, Castleford and Braehead indoor ski slopes and has also the development of another 20 leisure parks.

Alasdair
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm starting to think there's some kind of 90-minute-drive exclusion zone for snow domes around my house. How can there not be one south of London yet?!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can do North of Swindon to fareham in about 1 1/4 Smile does that help?!

Alasdair
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
why is it good news being near the designer outlet village?
latest report
a good move, I do think that any new indoor slopes need to follow the model of Landgraaf more than the current ones here, and 200m is better, but could be longer. Very Happy
snow report
thecramps wrote:
why is it good news being near the designer outlet village?

I think that they are trying to make it / Swindon become a destination however the Swindon outlet is a very different place from Bicester - but that is what they would like it to be - can't see it happening...

Alasdair
snow report
we've got a ski dome within 30 mins and one at 45 mins from where i live, never been to either of the outlet villages !! and the dry ski slope near where i live is under used anyway, they use it more for kiddies parties going down it on rubber rings !!!
you would think that a snow dome down south would be more profitable that up here i'nt north, more people down south !!
ski holidays
When I were a lad, we used to ski on't grass. Sno'? Huh.
snow report
we used to go down't grass hills on pieces of cardboard...dead good fun.and cost nowt Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Luxury. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
get back up North you lot - we are happy to have luxury being built on our doorstep (well, we have to go to Swindon for it, but hey...) Very Happy

Alasdair
ski holidays
I think it's a shame they're building one in Swindon. It means they probably won't build one in Weston-Super-Mud, which is much closer to my folks house in Somerset. Laughing

I guess the extra 45minutes once or twice a year won't kill me though. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
You had grass?
snow report
I think the one in Southampton died a death some time back... But agree with finestgreen on this... I can't understand why there is not 'one' done along the whole South Coast...As much as it pains me to say, Southampton would be the best location, for access etc...

Can't ever see it happening though...
latest report
All i want is a longer indoor dome anywhere in the country !!!! the one at castleford is just a bit too short, Manchester is pretty good but still not long enough to get some big fast turns in.. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
tiffin, Grass and big hills Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
The one proposed at Weston was delayed again as of Feb this year

http://www.planetski.eu/news/4629
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
eblunt,

I've written off the possibility of the Weston snowdome ever being built. I think your link's article was written Feb 2013 - and still not a hint of anything developing.

It's a shame but I never imagined the westcountry would ever get a facility like this. It is so difficult to make a commercial success of it. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Bump
Not looking good.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-29116141
ski holidays
thecramps wrote:
When I were a lad, we used to ski on't grass. Sno'? Huh.

Still have my old grass-skis Shocked

tiffin wrote:
You had grass?

Well mud, we are up north after all NehNeh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy