Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Staying near Geneva airport

Poster: A snowHead
We've got accommodation booked from Sunday to Sunday in Chamonix & we're wondering whether to fly into Geneva on the Saturday evening and/or fly out from Geneva on the Monday so that we can ski one or both of the Sundays. Not surprisingly, flights are cheaper arriving very late Saturday evening & flying back Monday so we thought we might be able to get flights plus a night in a hotel near the airport for about the same price as just the flights during the day on the Saturday or Sunday.
Anyone stayed in a hotel or know of any hotels near Geneva airport that might be suitable? We're not looking for luxury just convenience, particularly if we end up arriving in Geneva just before midnight.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's an Ibis that is convenient (just across the other side of the motorway). It's a bit of a bitch to find, but they do a shuttle service to/from the airport.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.hotel33.ch/

Walking distance.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
blizt Holiday Inn Express www.expressgeneva.com
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheapest hotel is the F1 at Ferney, about 35 euros / night. You would need a car. If you are hiring a car you may be better driving a bit to Annemasse and staying in the Premiere Classe at Gaillard.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Stars Hotel (which used to be a F1 yonks ago) is just over the road from the uninviting road leading into the French sector. It's a bit more - 50 euros - but walkable. My sister stayed there one night, after we'd dumped a hire car and I'd flown onto Rome. She said it seemed a much longer way down that road to the hotel than it had seemed driving up it in a car, and not v nice for a woman on her own. The next morning, when she was due to get her flight out, the hotel manager gave her a lift back into the airport - not the sort of service you expect in a F1, but much appreciated.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a Suitehotel, which is now branded Suite Novotel. It's not the cheapest but you can sleep a family of 4 in one of the room/suites. I've stayed in it and it's fine. Otherwise look at the Accor hotels web site which has several options including some of those mentioned above.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
The Stars Hotel

yes the Stars is a good choice, you are maybe better walking down the Swiss side but the tunnel is long. Otherwise a bus stops right outside the Stars and goes directly to the airport. It is a "rabbit hop" trip so 2 francs.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've only stayed in the Holiday Inn Express and it's convenient and not too costly.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bogusman wrote:
There's a Suitehotel, which is now branded Suite Novotel. It's not the cheapest but you can sleep a family of 4 in one of the room/suites. I've stayed in it and it's fine. Otherwise look at the Accor hotels web site which has several options including some of those mentioned above.

I've used this with my family many times. As bogusman says, you can sleep 4 in the suite. There is also a cheaper Etap next door. It's right on the No10 bus route from the airport to the city centre and has a free coffee and pastry breakfast. Best of all is that is is right across the road from a huge shopping mall, which includes a Pathe cinema complex. The cinema usually has a couple of current version original (ie English) films showing, which is far better than sitting in the room watching crxp Swiss telly. There are also a few restaurants in the complex, the tex-mex being pretty good.
snow report
 brian
brian
davidof wrote:
Cheapest hotel is the F1 at Ferney, about 35 euros / night. You would need a car.

Not if you use the shuttle from the Novotel next door. wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+1 for the Ibis and there is a cracking Italian restaurant just around the corner. Free shuttles but you can also walk to the airport terminal. I had a lovely time there last April courtesy of the ash cloud ...
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Stayed at the "Nash airport hotel" last weekend. Next to Ibis and as said there is a shuttle bus! Good value at about €70 the bed was very comfortable, tried to find out if it was an Ikea bed as would love to have the same bed at home!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Etap is cheap and cheerful, not far from the airport.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
blizt, On arrival you can pick up free 1 hour travel tickets in the baggage hall from the machine just before you go through customs which is valid on train/bus into Geneva centre. Once there you get a ticket from the hotel valid for the epriod of your stay.

All hotels in Geneva give tourists a free Geneva wide travel pass valid on bus, train and water bus -ergo you can check into hotel, dump car Satuday pm and use tickets to airport early for flights -this option would be better on your way home hotel wise.

There is also a cheap hostel renting rooms with multiple beds if you can tarck it sown.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the great advice. We've now booked flights but not yet booked hotel - we arrive at 23.30 Shocked Saturday night so clearly need 24hr check in!! Would have prefered to arrive a bit earlier but seeing as just got the flights free Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy using Airmiles, we can't really complain!
Return journey should be much more civilised as our flights are Monday afternoon
snow report
Shame you'll be so late as Geneva is a fantastic fun city. Strongly suggest you take sat nav and log hotel location etc as although it's an easy place to drive around it's also easy to get lost. Also more and more speed cameras and the margin allowed is just 4kph Over the 50 basic in town and the 60 zones are not that well marked when they change back!

Let me know if you need any maps or help as I have one or two of the GVA cycle maps which are great for walking. Oh and cabs £20 is nothing for the 5 min drive from the airport into the north (near side) of the lake around paquis area! Embarassed
ski holidays
blizt, we've stayed at the Crowne Plaza - largely because I have pretentions of grandeur, and it has the most amazing modern artwork in the bar that closes at stupid eary hours Evil or Very Mad ]. It has a shuttle bus to connect to the airport, and I would guess with it being one of those great big souless expensive business places would be 24 hour reception. Rooms are plush and got tea and coffee making facilities in them.
link is here http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/cp/1/en/hotel/gvasz
latest report
Geneva is pretty dead on Sundays though. No shops open and few restaurants.
latest report
Colin B, Yes can be. Look at Glocals.com and see what activities etc are listed. If theres a sPecIc date I can ask friends for suggestions
snow conditions
M O V E N P I C K
snow report
Colin B, but the restaurants that are open tend to be good ones.
snow conditions
blizt, for your arrival day, due to the lateness of your flight's landing, I'd suggest you stay in a hotel that has airport pickup.

There're 2 hotels I've used (once each): the Holiday Inn Express 2 minutes from the airport, and the Best Western on the France sector which cost considerably less. Both have airport shuttle, however, I distintly recall the Best Western shuttle schedule being not very extensive. So you may need to contact them directly to make sure the shuttle service is available at the hours of your landing.

For your departure day, depending on the exact hour of your flight, you may even have time to train into Geneve and have a look around the city. The train station is at the airport so you could easily check your skis/bags with the airline and go unencumbered.
snow conditions
Quote:

but the restaurants that are open tend to be good ones.

but we ended up in MacDonalds, kept my daughter quiet and was more wallet friendly. Food was obviously cr@p.
snow report
Colin B, Yep a large coffee at Starbucks is still chf 7.50 or 5 quid in English!

Ah almost forgot the best breakfast in Geneva is on the top floor of the dePartment store Manor which is two blocks north of the lake and is also open on Sundays. It's a Geneva institution and well worth a visit. They do a basic 4 item special offer for ten francs and the views are cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had one of the best coffees I've ever had in the McCafe (yep run by you know who) near the station. 5.80 SwFr I think, well worth it.
snow conditions
Quote:

For your departure day, depending on the exact hour of your flight, you may even have time to train into Geneve and have a look around the city. The train station is at the airport so you could easily check your skis/bags with the airline and go unencumbered.

abc, we'll probably try to do that as our flight home isn't til 2.00pm.
snow report
blizt, Strongly recommend Le boeuf rouge for very early lunch in the rue de paquis. Been going there for over 25 years. Terrific nosh!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know how easy it would be (or if it's possible) to walk from the airport to the Holiday Inn Express as we'll be arriving too late for the free shuttle bus (we don't land until 23.20)?

Jivebay our return flight is 14.00 so I don't think we'll have time for lunch & to get back to the airport for our flight
latest report
blizt, It should be easy to check on google so as I know what I'm looking at, I'll have a butchers and let you know. Also suggest you call them on the phone to ask- they will almost certainly speak English! Embarassed
snow conditions
blizt, When I stayed there I walked from the Hotel to the airport and back one evening and it's not that far. Probably not ideal if you have all your luggage with you though. The left luggage office will almost certainly be closed then, but there are some lockers down at the rail station level which are quite spacious. They won't take skis though, and you will need the correct money in Swiss Franc coins.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy