Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Scotland this weekend 26/27/28th November

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Anyone heading up to Scotland this weekend to Ski?? I'm planning on heading up From Leeds Thursday/Friday - I'll decide tomorrow.

It looks awesome - I'm a bit of a beginner, but have a week off this week, so thought I'd make the most of it - been to Xscape yesterday and today to polish up my basic skills and then jump in the car...how exciting!!

Hope there are some areas open that I can ski in - at the moment it says the runs aren't suitable for novices...that worries me a bit. Do you know what classifies as 'novice'? I can probably manage a sensible red by linking turns, mainly snowplough shaped but making a few that look more like parallel!!

Any advice, hints, tips appreciated.

Tar

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Maddington, welcome to snowHeads and have fun this weekend! You sound like a true snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maddington, my OH skied Glencoe for his ever experience on Snow (had only dont the dry ski slopes) at the beginning of December about 6/7 years ago. It was very icy but a great baptism of fire for him. We are hoping to go back the weekend after next - from Thrs 2nd Dec. Have a fantastic time!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maddington,

You will have no problems at Cairngorm, given your skiing ability.

There were 3 main runs open at Cairngorm last weekend when we were there - 1 pisted and 2 unpisted.

The pisted run is long and offers a great run to the mid station. It is no more than a blue run, with a (n avoidable) red section in the gunbarrel at the end. You can avoid the gunbarrel section by skiing the zig zags instead, which is a blue run.

There are some good photos and reviews at the following link:-

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/

The 2 unpisted runs were in great condition as well and had been, in effect, "pisted" by skiers. Both are red runs and would be skiable by a decent intermediate. 25 years ago I managed to get down one of them (the White Lady), following a navigational error on my 3rd ever day on skis. Very Happy Fond memories!

Have a look at Laterooms.com for some last minute accommodation, where there are usually bargains to be had.

Best to keep an eye on the mountain weather forecast though and book your digs at the last minute. Storms are not uncommon and they lost 3 days skiing last week due to hurricanes!

Winterhighland has a good mountain forecast but the best and most detailed forecast is avaialble at:-

http://www.mwis.org.uk/eh.php

Good luck and remember to let us know how you get on!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Awesome!! I've been checking out Winterhighland and managed to get some great info from there.

Bergmeister, that news is great that it ought to be managable.

Thanks for the welcome Cathy...I've in the background snooping for a week or so!!

Shimmy - Thank you, I'll def get some pics up.

Whoop whoop!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I boarded at Glenshee in March this year and then Aviemore and Glencoe at Easter. Amazing! Loved it up there. Can't wait to go back - possibly before Christmas if I can but definitely Jan/Feb/Mar and April!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't really add anything to the great advice above but welcome to Snowheads and have a great time Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am flying to scotland on 27,28th as well. Have been doing ice skating & basic wake boarding but never skied on a slope. What would you experts suggest? what place is good for a beginner, can choose either of cairngorm, lecth or glenshee...

Any advice highly appriciated Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
londonrulz, Hi and welcome to snowHead I would go to Cairngorm if i were you. If i were in your position then i would get some lessons, even a few basic hours so you can do the simple thing like stop, turn and change direction and a lesson on general skiing etc. Im sure there will be someone on here soon to help you further, maybe have a look on the snow report section and the scotland 2010/2011 as there is more talk about the skiing on that bit of the forum and the possibility of someone going up there this weekend that could help you out even more, enjoy, im jelous!!! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
londonrulz, Lecht for beginners IMHO.....
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
here's a brief run down of the forecast conditions from the Mountain Weather Info Service...

Saturday, 27th November, 2010
North or northeasterly, in the range 20 to 25mph; small risk of sudden strengthening to 40mph gust 70mph most likely Sutherland late in day.
Fairly small - but small risk of suddenly very difficult conditions in afternoon in Sutherland, giving severe wind chill.
Clusters of snow showers Snow and hail showers. Threat of these becoming heavy and frequent giving whiteout in almost constant snow for perhaps 2 to 4 hours, most likely north from Cairngorms and Monadhliath. Risk lightning.
Extensive north from Cairngorms Cloud free areas (mainly west and south of Cairngorms) will be interspersed by areas of cloud, base typically 800m, but 400m in snow - possibly extensively later in the day north from Cairngorms.
40%
Areas of bright sun and superb visibility - mainly south of Cairngorms.
But in snow, visibility very poor or perhaps near zero, particularly north
from Cairngorms.
-6C @ 900m.

Sunday looks more of the same with potentially higher gusts of wind.

So, decisions to be made. Potentially beautiful snow conditions... if you can see where you're going!

Only one way to find out i guess Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for replying..think will have to postpone to 27-28 dec due to some reasons. so quite sure i will find enough snow at that time!!! I am also thinking to go to one of indoor slopes(hemel or xscape milton keynes) to take 1-2 lessons in a week or two. so that i can spend time on real slopes enjoying rather then training.

Any suggestion which one is better of the two.

Cheers!!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
londonrulz, Hemel for sure! snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ok , this post is really only valid for the next hour or so , but it's hoofing it down in Aviemore at the moment. Anyone uwho is up there this weekend and get any sort of visibility are going to have a epic powder fest.

http://www.winterhighland.com/cams/aviemore/aviemorevideo.php

Happy sliding Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmmn, seems like some rather strange advice in this thread, lucky you didn't go up, especially as the ski area was stormbound yesterday.

What makes people think that the areas that were open were suitable for a self confessed novice when they are marked as red, especially given the low vis conditions reported on Saturday, that are all too common in Scotland? Even the centre was warning beginners away.

Most 'intermediates' seem to have difficulty in managing the first 5 metres of the uplift on the M1, let alone getting down it after its had a bash from the arctic gales and turns from ice to drifts within seconds. I don't often ski down the Lady since the funi went up, but remember it as being a fun mogul field, certainly not the place to be doing snowplough turns.

The OP will enjoy it a lot more once the rest of the centre is open.
snow conditions
If full cover and pisted, Scotland's biggest ski resort would be best i.e Glenshee with 21 lifts. However not easy to get to without a car.

Official ski site for skiing in Scotland at http://ski.visitscotland.com/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy