Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt, St Anton, St Moritz or Val Gardena? What do you think?

Poster: A snowHead
Alright, so after missing my first ski vacation since 2000, it's time to start planning this year's excursion across the pond. We have a group of six (6) intermediate / advanced skiers that are looking to go in late February / early March, and have skiied the following resorts in Europe:

Ischgl
Zermatt
Wengen (x3)
Solden
Schladming

Out of those, we're open to returning to Zermatt and then we're also considering:

St Anton
St Moritz
Val Gardena

What are your thoughts on the three (3) mentioned above? Are any of them worth going to over a return trip to Zermatt?

Any input / guidance / recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no Zermatt is a no brainer, its a shame my wife will not go back because of the hassle and our kids, so its a drive in for me,
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you've been to Ischgl and liked the apres, you'll like St Anton (always debatable which of the two offers the best apres, but personally I prfer St Anton's). Absolutely loads of skiing in St Anton to keep you entertained. Just watch out for Fasching Week, which I think is 5th March this year - it will be very busy.
Lech more laid back and pricier than St Anton if you don't want the buzz.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What sort of skiing do you want? If you're into offpiste and apres St Anton is a no brainer - personally I think it has better apres than Ischgl but slighter worse 'late' nightlife.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
RX8_HOKIE, Welcome to Snowheads! snowHead I see you're based in Williamsburg - how is the Old Dominion? Madeye-Smiley

I always tell people that Zermatt is one place where all skiers should visit at least once in their skiing career (and the view of the Matterhorn ain't bad either) Smile . However, assuming everyone in your party has already been, I understand why you are looking to extend your knowledge of other European ski areas.

I've never been to St Moritz, so can't comment. St Anton is a top class ski area with good snow record, and extensive off piste opportunities if that's your interest. In addition to St Anton itself, you'll be able to ski the areas of nearby Lech and Zurs, which are up market resorts with hotels (and prices) to match, but plenty of nice pistes. The apres ski in St Anton is also well renowned. wink

Val Gardena in the Italian Dolomites is also a great place IMV. The valley itself has 3 main towns: Ortisei/St Ulrich, St Christina and Selva/Wolkenstein (the area was part of Austria up till the end of WW1, so they have both Italian/German place names). Selva itself is directly on the Sella Ronda circuit which any intermediate skier can easily do in a day. There is some good skiing in the Val Gardena valley itself, you can ski the men's World Cup Downhill Sass Long course with its famous "camel bumps" that goes down to St Christina, and there's some nice runs on the Seceda plateau including a 10km red run that goes to Ortisei. You can also do a day trip to the Hidden Valley, see video from about 1:30 onwards:

http://youtube.com/v/LdjmbfvwH-w&feature=related

There is quite a bit of off piste available in the area as well, but I expect more knowledgeable Snowheads people can give you more info if you are interested in considering the Dolomites. The cuisine is a nice mix of Austrian and Italian, and the scenery in the Dolomites is amazing Madeye-Smiley . I think it's another area (like Zermatt) that you should visit at least once in your skiing life.

Hope this helps.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Alastair_Pink,

Thank you for the detailed information!

Regarding St Anton and the ability to ski Lech and Zurs, as I understand it, we would have to take a bus to those areas, correct? Is it worth skiing the Lech / Zurs circuit for a day or two?

Ah yes, the Dolomites, I've heard great things about the skiing but I really don't know much about the region, other than what I've read online. so any additional input / recommendations from my fellow SnowHeads is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RX8_HOKIE,
yes you need a bus.
Lech and Zurs are great.
If you start early in the morning I guess the best option is to take a few lifts in St Anton and ski to Stuben side - Alpe Rauz. From there there is a free ski bus. I can not remember but it is fairly quick ride.
Other option is to take bus directly from St Anton, but it takes much longer (bus journey), buses are not that often and you have to pay.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RX8_HOKIE, how did you like the other places you visited? I am off to Schladming for 4 days this winter but want to got to Zermatt and Solden soon as well.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not been to the other resorts you mention but first trip to Selva and Val Gardena last year and we shall return end of January. I am a red run skier by choice and penty of those, quite challenging. Would add Col Raiser area to the above and just out of Selva the Dantercepies and Ciampinoi are a good challenge. There are just loads of possibilities and great views. They make lots of their own snow too so don't worry too much about snowfall. Looking forward to the Hidden Valley again which is fab. If you stay in Selva would recommend half board as that's what most do. Great lunch stops everywhere.
Hope that helps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RX8_HOKIE, those 3 are very much worth going to before you start to re-visit places you've been
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have done Zermatt, St Anton and Selva. Zermatt is the only one on the list we won't bother with again. Partly the long transfer coupled with hassle of transferring by train and taxi but also the ski areas weren't that joined up.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think that one of the best Skiresorts is Val Gardena in the Dolomiti superski Area. We have fpund a Hotel directly on the Runs, Hotel Acadia Beauty & Relax. Best food of the region and directly connected to the Sella Ronda (200 lifts)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Val Gardena is twiice the size of St Anton. Both are resorts that no serious skier would disappoint. St Anton wins on more challenging whereas Val Gardena is part of a fully linked 510 km system!. St Anton is part of Arlberg which include unlinked (only by bus rides) with Zurs/Lech. Lech to Austria is probably the equivalent or nearest to Zermatt in Switzerland.

Personally I rate St Moritz in the same league as Zermatt, Both are nice places to be spent time with in the town even in the evening.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RX8_HOKIE wrote:

Out of those, we're open to returning to Zermatt and then we're also considering:

St Anton
St Moritz
Val Gardena

What are your thoughts on the three (3) mentioned above? Are any of them worth going to over a return trip to Zermatt?

Any input / guidance / recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

I've been to St Anton and Selva/Val Gardena.

Both offer great value, certainly less expensive than Zermatt.

Selva plus points: huge 500km linked area around the Sella Ronda, amazing scenery, plentiful excellent mountain restaurants, sunshine.
Selva minus points: Erratic natural snow record although runs are kept good with artificial, busy at peak times, not many long expert runs.

St Anton plus points: plenty of challenge on and off piste, good snow record, very lively apres scene
St Anton minus points: crowded at peak times, a lot of lodging is a long way from lifts.

They are both must dos, if you've not been before, with St Anton having the edge if challenging skiing is the top priority and Selva if food, ambience and scenery mean as much as the skiing.

St Moritz isn't a pretty town, but is reputed to offer an excellent ski experience amidst panoramic scenery, at a similar price to Zermatt.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't forget the apres tho, much as I love Val Gardena and its environs, St ANton seems the obvious choice for a boys trip (or Mayrhofen, Ischgl and the other usual suspects). One hasn't truly skiied until one has danced on a table in ski boots singing "Hey, Wir Wollen Die Eisbären Sehen, Oh-oh-oh-oh-oh".

Although for all I know, Selva has cracking apres and I've just missed it as I always have kids in tow. Had kids in St ANton once tho, very frustrating passing The Moose and not able to stop off for 1 or 8.
snow report
Tom W,

Quote:

yes you need a bus.
Lech and Zurs are great.
If you start early in the morning I guess the best option is to take a few lifts in St Anton and ski to Stuben side - Alpe Rauz. From there there is a free ski bus. I can not remember but it is fairly quick ride.
Other option is to take bus directly from St Anton, but it takes much longer (bus journey), buses are not that often and you have to pay.

If busy take the bus directly from St. Anton. yes you pay; but you (should) should get on the first bus as St. Anton is the terminus; if you ski to Alpe Rauz; you will be waiting for space on a bus.....
snow conditions
1. St Moritz;
2. Lech;
3. Val Gardena.
snow conditions
Quote:

Had kids in St ANton once tho, very frustrating passing The Moose and not able to stop off for 1 or 8.

Ghost Dog,
http://youtube.com/v/oH_tTiI_KYI wink
snow report
Laughing

Wife would think the place down market, noisy and full of drunk people Sad

I'll just haf to get my apres fix in the Hoff in January Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy