Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ABS Airbag airline carriage policy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a quick week out to Serre Jan 15th with Rocket Ski at £400 all in inc ski carriage and excl liftpass

However raises the question about whether I can fly with my ABS pack so have sent this off to Rocket Ski having spoken to SnowSafe - will advise once I hear back.

As discussed – need to ascertain what Monarch Airlines policy is to carrying ABS Airbag canisters – think this will crop up for Ski Co’s more and more now

My ABS Bag has a small Argon filled Gas Bottle, which will obviously not be attached!

I have contacted Snow Safe who are one of the main distributors (based in Brighton) and they have advised me that Air France, BA, Swiss Airlines and Lufthansa do carry these.

So could you please confirm what Monarch’s policy is.

Obviously do not want to turn up at the airport in Jan I find out I can’t travel with it.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weathercam, search the forums, we have discussed this quite a bit. My tactics are to print out the IATA guidlines, turn up at check-in, tell them I have to check-in some restricted items, they send you round to oversize, show them the print outs and off you go. IME the issues are less with the airlines and more with the ground handling agents. I have taken a number of flights now and not had any issues.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weathercam, You should also supply the Data sheets to the airline which you can download from the ABS web site. More airlines are catching up with the airbags and allowing them, however its always best to be upfront with them and tell the airline first.

For a good example we have just had a customer flying back to Japan with his airbags and it was fine.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did indeed read the threads from last year and on reading them again it's still all rather spurious in the detail and advice.

I do think by flying scheduled you are not so much at risk but Charter is different and like one poster mentioned it's all very well going out but what about the return especially if you happen to come back via Grenoble!

So this is the response back from Rocket Ski re Monarch's Policy.

I have just received some information from the airline regarding your Avalanche Rescue Pack and taking it on board the aircraft.

Please see below the information received from the airline:

Monarch will carry the Avalanche Rescue Pack if that is the item you refer to, as long as the following guidelines are met.

One pack per person, equipped with a pyrotechnic trigger mechanism containing net of Div 1.4S and less than 250 mL of compressed gas in Div 2.2.

The backpack must be packed in a manner that it cannot be accidentally activated.

The airbags within the backpacks must be fitted with pressure relief valves, and can be carried in the hold or as carry baggage.

I have then forwarded the above onto SnowSafe who know their stuff because I was not exactly too sure about the detail - and this what they say
"Just separate the canister and the activation handle plus the rest of the back pack and advise Monarch and ensure it all goes in the hold"

So that seems to be ok - that said as I'm going back out to Serre in March (driving) so I'm going to leave the canister out there rather than risk Grenoble ground staff on my return throwing a spanner in the works.

Best mode might be just pack the stuff in your hold luggage and keep quiet on the return leg!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weathercam, Good update, the airline are quoting Dangerous Goods regluatons, table 2.3.A subsection 2.3

This also quotes "The approval of the operator is required"

The section where they say
Quote:

nd can be carried in the hold or as carry baggage.
applies as far as I know to the back pack itself not the cylinder, just in case there is any confusion.

Also are you sure its an Argon Gas not nitrogen???
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Defo Argon sticker's on the canister one of the later models

I did question carrying it on as hand baggage to SnowSafe as I thought it would probably create more hassle with the ground staff!

"Do you mean the back pack should go in the hold as well to save awkward questions etc when going through hand baggage security or just the canister & activation handle?"

Hence his response of
"Put all the ABS equipment in the hold - absolutley not hand baggage"
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have packed mine in my hold luggage, and have just kept completely quiet about it (on the advice of a well travelled mountain guide.) I have had no hassle in about 20 flights or so. I know I have been a bit naughty. I would never consider it as hand luggage though, it would also look a bit Naff!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy