Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val D'Isere in March

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all!

We have just booked our next skiing holiday, yeaaaaaa! We're off to Val D'Isere on 19th March, has anyone got any tips? I've never been skiing that late in the season or to Val D'Isere, normally January/February in the 3Vs, what is the weather like, etc.

Also if anyone could recommend some good places to go too that would be great. Yes I know Val D'Isere is a complete rip-off......that's what happens when the skiing excitment gets too much, you just go for it, regardless of cost, oops!

Thanks

Laura
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pack some factor 50, you'll need it, late in the season? its only mid season!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it's late for me!

Factor 50......blimey! I assume thermals and normal ski jackets are out then, fleeces and waterproofs in?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Best time - Val D'Isere - or the higher areas at any rate - are just coming into their own in mid March! Nobody can tell you what the weather will be like but the days will be longer and lighter and you've a better chance of it being less than freezing cold. But for several years now the biggest snowfalls of the year have been in March across much of the Alps - so you might just get an enormous dump, or several, of lovely fresh snow.

As for clothes, you'll need layers. Could be perishingly cold up the top, could be really quite sunny and balmy; have to be ready for anything.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lauragaillard, you'll have a blast. ValD is only a rip-off if you go to the blatant rip-off joints, they can be avoided. But even if they can't, the quality of the runs and the lifts make up for it.

Doesn't matter when you go, you can still get caught out so wear your usual layers. You might not need a heavy duty fleece, but the rest of the kit remains the same. Not sure about factor 50 unless you're albino, 30 should do it, but remember to re-apply after lunch.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
2 years ago I went to Val a week later than you're going, yes it was warm, the runs into the resort were heavy going by lunchtime, and definitely to be avoided at the end of the day with tired legs. First thing in the morning the runs high up were a little bit crisp, if a high run hasn;t been piste bashed avoid it like the plague until the sun has been on it. Saying all that so much depends on the weather at the time, and we had an absolute ball.

There are plenty of places to have fun in the evening, take advantage of the happy hours, it will save you stacks.
Have fun, there is plenty of great skiing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lauragaillard, welcome to snowheads.

As already said- that is really not at all late in the season.

We used to go or the last 2 weeks in April and everything was open- and fine (ok fairly slushy down at la Daille and les Brevieres) but plenty of snow, and fresh snow, and good weather.

My top tips are; lunch! L'Edelwise at le Fornet and la Fruitiere . Both fantastic and much better value than any 'self'
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

much better value than any 'self'

Do you get to pee for free?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, at L'Edelwise peeing is fee and no pee token required. At la Fruitiere- you get a magic marble that allows a free pee.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been to Val disere the last Saterday in March/1st week in April for a few years now. Never had any probs with the skiing and have always had a good dump of snow at some point in the week. Best time to go to the likes of 3V's, Tignes and Val D IMHO and as others have pointed out the last few years March has had the best snow fall. Last year (28th March) took us about 8hrs to get to Val disere form Chamberry due to heavy snow and cars getting stuck every where with snow as low down as Bourg.

Yes some of the lower home/village runs get slushy at the end of the day if the weathers good i.e the Face, Piste M etc. I quite enjoy a good home run in porridge its great fun to round of the day.

But in general any thing above 2000m stays in good shape (so even late in the day theres still plenty of great sonw to be had).

As for high prices i dont thin Val D is any worse than any other popular major resort. Have stayed over Tignes side once, like Val great skiing but the village is a bit poo-poo when compared to Val.

Val disere offers great skiing on its own side and also the Tignes side but with a far better village for the evenings compared to Tignes.

We are off to St Anton on the 8th January, and guess where we are going Saterday 26th March???? Yep Val disere Blush cant wait
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm off to Val d'isere the week of 19th March too! Have got a chalet booked with a group of mates.

Lets hope for a good dumping of fresh powder that week Very Happy

The skiing is all pretty high altitude (esp. over the Tignes side) so even if it's warm/sunny the snow will stay in good shape in most areas.

As it's been said, not everywhere is a ripoff. There was an apres-ski place I went to a couple of years ago which did €2 half litres of beer. But we also sat outside a hotel and paid €10 for the same, so beware. There is also a pretty cheap mountain restaurant which is good if you want a hot lunch, it's in the valley in between Val and Tignes at the bottom of the Borsat Express lift. Can't quite remember what it's called!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
musehead, Les Marmottes, tel +33 482 53 05 38 --- and they do good value hot chocolate drinks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
pam w, both of those, yes. But the kicker is, if you eat/drink at the "self service" resto at Fole Douche, to which la Fruitiere is attached, you do have to pay. Those crazy frenchies and their weird ways...

This was the case when I was last there, I'll check again in January.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lauragaillard,
If you are used to skiing in Jan Feb and this is your first time in mid March the main thing you have to watch out for is that snow conditions within the resort are likely to be much more varied than you are used to. Weather, altitude, aspect and time of day can alter conditions dramatically. Broadly speaking there is more likely to be a freeze thaw cycle on lower slopes and more southerly facing slopes, this can cause very hard conditions inthe morning and much softer and sometimes slushy conditions later in the day. Difficult to be mroe precise than thatas the exact weather makes a big difference but if a slope is icy look to ski it awjen the sun hits it but not afterit has been in the sun for ages for best skiing. Higher altitude and more northerly facing slopes are less affected.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank you everyone for your fantastic replies, much appreciated Happy

It's good to know that skiing with be great, weather permitting obviously! It's also reassuring to know that there are some cheaper places in Val D, although I always find that any form of money consciousness goes completely out the window once you're away......yeah 90euros on a bottle of champagne is a bargain.....but then when you get engaged while skiing it's a good excuse!

Now on to another question, anyone stayed/heard of Chalet Hotel Chamois dOr.....?

Also, Face, who's done it?

Thank you!
latest report
Have a great time, getting engaged. Its a great plan.

Don't let your bloke spend it all on NV Moet, wait until you get home for some decent Dom Perrignon.

Me and a small crowd of mates always go 3rd week of March for my birthday. Friday afternoon/evening at Folle Doux (at the top of the Daille cable car) is always good but, more importantly, the snow is always great in March.

Have fun.
snow conditions
lauragaillard, Face is usualy in best nick mid morning. Whoever wrote above that it can be slushy late afternoon, my experience of skiing it in March for last few years is that it is nearly always icy rather than slushy... snowHead
snow conditions
lauragaillard, Face is fine- as above can get icy, if so stick to the very edges of the piste and it will be better- also either lots or very little edge- but either way plenty of balance.

better still epaule de charvet- it actually is steep (also S) and much less busy.

the bigger sandbag is A or it was till regraded from red to black- narrow, icy, steep.
ski holidays
Face is good in March and has been said, mid-morning the best - just off hte icyness of the overnight freeze but before the build of of icy slushy afternoon moguls (which can get pretty hairy by the end of the day). Never stayed at the Chamois D'or I'm afraid so can't comment - although surely can't be worse than the moris (great for happy hour, poor for hotel essentials like hot water and hot meals). March is my favourite time of year in Val D - enjoy.
snow report
ed123 wrote:
My top tips are; lunch! L'Edelwise at le Fornet and la Fruitiere . Both fantastic and much better value than any 'self'

Both good. I also like La Trifollette, just above La Daille where 'Verte' crosses 'OK' - very nice pizzas Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy