Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bumps

Poster: A snowHead
Having made the transition from skiing on skinny skis and prefering an SL ski for a long time (15 + years )to my now one quiver ski the k2 seth vicious back in 2007, just how much fatter can you go without losing the real all round ski without compromise.
I really enjoy bump skiing and the 98mm underfoot is no problem skiing the zip line and obviously beneficial to the off piste vs an sl. and there is no problem at all on the piste, but will a 105+ mm underfoot be detrimental to one aspect of an "all" mountain ski. What is the dividing line before it becomes a powder ski ? And how wide before it loses its bumpability ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
limegreen1, did you intend this to be in Buy & Sell rather than Equipement Reviews & Questions? if not you can ask a mod to move it for you

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 22-11-10 13:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh, how disappointing. Based on the title, I thought you were selling the plastic bumps that you put under the snow to make moguls Toofy Grin
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
no doubt the fatter you go the less optimal this will be for moguls. however, width underfoot is really only one aspect of what makes a ski good in bumps so a 105mm ski won't necessarily be a lot worse than a 98mm ski.

having a bit of flex in the tips helps in bumps, as does a relatively straight sidecut

i have some legend pro xxls which are 194cm long and 109mm underfoot with 41m turn radius. frankly, they are a bit much for me in a lot of conditions but i did have a lot of fun using them in slushy moguls a couple of seasons ago
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
limegreen1, did you intend this to be in Buy & Sell rather than Equipement Reviews & Questions? if not you can ask a mod to move it for you

ERR, No.....as I do not want to buy and sell anything rather ask a question about equipment Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevehaskew wrote:
Oh, how disappointing. Based on the title, I thought you were selling the plastic bumps that you put under the snow to make moguls Toofy Grin

No , they are in the buy & sell section Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
limegreen1, I see it's been moved (it was in buy & sell when I posted) - hopefully you'll get more meaningful replies now wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx wrote:
limegreen1, I see it's been moved (it was in buy & sell when I posted) - hopefully you'll get more meaningful replies now wink

Ah that explains it. You had me confused there ..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
limegreen1, your problem is that the further apart your feet are the less effective you will be in bumps. I found my 93mmm skis getting close to what I'd choose to ski bumps in.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
limegreen1, as Arno, says
Quote:

width underfoot is really only one aspect

I have been spending a lot of time on fat 120 and 125 under foot, the newer design rocker with short radius and a freestyle setup are great fun in the bumps. But I guess like many SH's I started skiing bumps on 200cm skinny skis wink wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
livetoski, an interesting concept. I find that my feet get forced (obviously) too far apart for comfort and convenience.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, my theory is that width at widest point rather than width underfoot is the more relevant factor in bumps
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno, mine is stringly that distance between feet is the most relevant factor. You can't get a good rotation if your feet are apart.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, That sounds like a reference to "monty python dinosaur theory" Laughing Laughing

I suppose if fat skis are nearly the same width in the tip and tail, they would work better in bumps? Than fat skis that are much fatter in the tip than the tail? Are we thinking along the same lines here?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I prefer a 104mm twin tips to a pair of 65mm slaloms in the bumps.

The slaloms can develop a mind of thier own
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, surely you jest?
snow conditions
And he reels him in! Cool . I'm suprised it took 11 minutes. Laughing

But honestly, yes I prefer a bigger turning circle.
snow report
Mosha Marc wrote:
And he reels him in! Cool . I'm suprised it took 11 minutes. Laughing

Nice arrows Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, it's late, I'm tired...hmmm bigger radius in bumps, yes I can see that. IIRC Bumps skis are bigger radius than SL?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy