Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Whats needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I have been meaning to go ski-ing for the last few years and never got around to it but this year we have decided we will definately go.
My first question is about equipment as we want to buy our own clothing (not boots or skis).
For a weeks ski-ing what equipment would we need, I am guessing 1 jacket, 1 set of gloves etc but as for undergarments etc I havn't a clue so if someone could be so kind as to post a list of everything and the amount of each item I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hungry Horace, welcome to snowHeads! Hope you and your wife take to skiing - it can certainly be addictive! Smile
You'll find a lot of useful information in this thread, well worth a browse: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
Personally I use my skiing layers (compression leggings, socks, merino tops) gloves, woolly hat, goretex jacket etc for hill-walking as well as skiing, so it doesn't seem as though I'm shelling out vast sums for use just one or two weeks a year! I also feel that justifies spending a bit more on good quality breathable material, even if it costs a little more: I love merino, because it doesn't get smelly.

[Edit for a few examples of what I buy:

Linebreak leggings from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=Linebreak&tag=amz07b-21&index=sports&hvadid=4707574029&ref=pd_sl_2ex5wix7bb_b

Silk vests/long johns from Patra:
http://www.patra.com/productlist.asp?a=resetsearch&CatID=58&RootCatID=58

Icebreaker merino tops, in various thicknesses, so that I can 'layer' - Google around a bit to find the cheapest offers.]
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One tip for your wife - instead of wearing a normal bra when skiing, I find it much warmer and more comfortable to wear one of those secret support cotton vest things. (Damart do them)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm no expert and change my gear frequently, but my purchase list for 1 week beginner level skiing would be something like:
6 pairs of ski socks
1 pair of salopettes
1 pair skiing gloves (I often take 2 in case one gets wet but then never need the second pair)
1 pair woolen gloves
1 hat (or more if you're fashion conscious!)
1 helmet (optional)
3 thernal base layer t-shirts - (a bit gross if you sweat a lot but you can wear them 2 days each or if it's warn enough then wear a normal t-shirt)
1 thermal base layer long-johns
1 skiing jacket (I would go for a hard shell but there are many other posts on the benefits of various ski jackets)
3 fleeces/insulation layers
1 tube scarf (this is the most important item for me - I rely on it totally to keep my face and neck warm)
sunblock
lipsalve
goggles
sun-glasses

+ whatever you plan to wear for the evenings. I hope you have a great time and will become an addicted snow-head forever more! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hungry Horace, Welcome to Snowheads.

the important stuff is-
ski Jacket
ski trousers
Hat (or helmet)
Ski gloves
Goggles
Glasses
Warm socks
sunscreen

Regarding under layers you can be as extravagant or as penny pinching as your tastes and budget allow. Most people have a couple of fleeces in their wardrobe, so take them. Invest in some wicking thermals if you can, but many people I know get away with T shirts, sweatshirts etc. A variety of different items allows fine tuning of the insulation layer. You'll be surprised how little insulation you actually need in most skiing situations The key is looking after the extremities, spend surplus funds on good gloves.

If you do buy base layer type thermals, you can get away with 2 sets (a set being top and legs). Wear each for 2 days, and rinse out the 1st set with travel wash for days 5 and 6.

Finally. almost all novice skiers take far too many ordinary clothes for the evening. If, like many, you have a drink in your ski gear straight after skiing, you'll probably not hit the showers till 6 or 7. You may very well then be too knackered to do anything other than collapse into bed an hour after your evening meal finishes, meaning you are wearing normal clothing for a few hours at most. If you do stagger into town to hit the fleshpots you'll probably end up wearing some of your ski gear anyway.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy