Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Used Salomon Impact 8's?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm relatively new to the world of buying ski equipment so be easy on me wink

I recently bought a used pair of Scott Mission skis, and with the auction was a pair of Salomon Impact 8's, which I'd intended to (attempt to) sell as I already have boots.

However, I have always had problems with boots (I have a slight calcification from a broken toe when I was younger) with painful pressure points, and pinching.

I went to a local shop before last season, and was fitted with a pair of Head Edge 8.8's. These were much better for me, but I still had a few problems, I could only ski for 2-3 hours before the pain became too much and I'd have to take my boots off.

Anyway, I thought I'd try these Salomon Impact 8's on for a comparison, and to my surprise (even thought they haven't been heat moulded for me) they were much more comfortable, no pressure points or pinching. I tried my Head's on and straight away they felt less comfortable than the Salomon's.

My Question(s) are:

Will it be effective to get the Salomon re-heat moulded to suit my foot better?

Are there other problems associated with using 2nd Hand boots?

As I said, I'm new, and a few of my friends are warning me away from using the Salomon's, but not really giving me reasons other than "The Head's were chosen for you for a reason". Which I can understand, but I hate skiing in pain, and would love to be able to utilise these Salomons if it would work.

Thanks in advance!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No idea. If they are super comfy first time on I'd guess they might be too big which will cause problems later.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
if the liner has been skied in then there is no point reheating it as it will have little or no effect, tend to agree with the above post that says they may well be too big, but it could be that you are just lucky and they fit your foot well

the edge is a mighty high volume boot and if you are comfortable in the impact (and it is not a bigger size) then it would suggest the edge is not the right boot for you... the most important thing with the problem you have is to have the foot very snuggly held and stable inside the boot then adjust for the calcification by either stretching or dependent on location, grinding the shell to great space for the specific area
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I suspect fatbob is correct.

Are the two pairs the same size? You'll find the size printed on the boot liners where the tongue connects to the rest of the boot.

If your boots hurt after 2-3 hours then they haven't been fitted correctly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you tried skiing in them? Bracknell dry slope is quite near you (if its still open) try them out for a couple of hours and that should tell you if they are too big as you'll notice the lack of control. Not sure how that carpet stuff they used to have will affect your new skis though, I've heard rumours it can damage bases but thats only what I've heard.

I've had a pair of second hand boots for a couple of years now, they are the best boots I've ever had, far better than new ones I've bought and had "professionally" fitted. And no, they're not too big before anyone suggests it. I think I must be lucky and just have standard Salomon feet.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your help so far guys.

I have checked the sizes:

Salomon - 29.5
Head - 28.5

So I guess it could be a case that the Salomons are too big for me, although my foot felt snug inside them. Are there any tell-tale signs, of whether the Salomons are too big?

My Heel raises slightly but no more than in the Heads, other than that my foot feels snug inside the Salomons.

The heads feel very tight around my toes, uncomfortable, but not painful. The only pain from the heads are due to width in problem areas.

How much would I be looking at to get the Heads stretched/ grinded?

I haven't tried skiing in them yet, as I only got them y/day evening. How loose would boots have to be before you start experiencing a lack of control? I don't think my foot would "roll" around in the Salomons
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Take the liners out of the Salomons, stick a bare foot in them and push it forward until your toes touch the front of the shell. The gap between your heel and the back of the shell should be about 20mm for a good fit. I only know this because CEM told me this when he diagnosed that my old boots were a size too big. I now have well fitting boots that have transformed my skiing. Your boots are the things that connect you to your skis. You wouldn't drive a car with a "loose" steering wheel.

As you live in Reading it would be a quick jaunt up the road to see CEM at Solutions4Feet in Bicester. He'll sort you out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snow_Dog, 20mm is as much as you want!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi, sorry to complicate matters, but two different ski boot manufacturers making the same size boot, say size 26, could in fact be two different size boots.
IMO for what you would get selling the impact 8`s - I would hang on to them if they are comfy on you, also if the impact 8 were the ones used on the missions there are no bindings to adjust. I have impact 8`s and use them on Scott skis and I really like them.
I had to get one boot plastic shell heat stretched twice to get it fitting correctly on my right foot as I damaged that foot years ago. Ellis Brighams did it for me. Hope this helps.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bargainbill, no. 26 is a mondo size. It means the length of the boot (internal) is 26cm. So one is 10mm bigger than the other.

StevenH72, where did you get your Edge boots from?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Right, I checked the fit without the liners! The impacts had about 30mm and the edges I'd say about 20mm! So I guess I will get the edges stretched rather than carry on with the impacts!

parlor, I got the edge boots from Ski Bartlett, in Hillingdon! At the time they fitted tightly but not painfully! it wasn't until I skiied on them that the problems became apparent!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy