Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Timing of School Holidays in Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're considering another trip to Austria (possibly Saalbach-Hinterglemm) next winter. This may be the only year we're have sufficient flexibility in our work schedules to pick a time of our own choosing. Would like to go when crowds are a bit smaller. What would be a good week in late February or early March to avoid the largest crowds?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would have thought the key is to avoid Munich school holidays:

http://www.muenchen.de/Stadtleben/Education_Employment/School_Child_Care/37133/02aschools.html
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plake,

Couldn't see any holiday mentioned for end of Feb to beginning of Mar in your suggested web.

Have a vested interest my self as my brother in Norway has booked flight to Munich for that week thinking of having a second go at the Austria. I think end of Feb and beginning of Mar is mid term break for a lot of European schools.

My expereince would suggest that France will be chaotic starting from the second week of Feb and their mid term breaks have been staggered from region to region, so that the French mid term break lasts into beginning of Mar. However not many French skiers go to Austria which is favoured mainly by the German and their mid term break is nowhere as crowded as in France.

In conclusion yes it would crowded but less so than in a French resort. Saalbach Hinterglemm is of course big enough and with its neighbouring Zell am See/Kaprun should be able to take a big influx of skiers.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
saikee, I think you're right that in general the French resorts have a more noticeable increase in crowds around school holiday times than the Austrian ones. I've been to Austria various weeks from late Jan to mid March and never had a real problem with lift queues.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plake,

To the British skiers Austria is just like Switzerland or Italy as an alternative to France. However the French are too keen to ski outside their country in large number. That is just my own observation.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
RISkier, the school holiday in Austria is scheduled differently by regions.
This year school holiday fell on the 3rd and 4th week of February, except in Vienna where it was held a week earlier.
During these breaks the resorts are much more crowded, more difficult to find a room and traffic jams on the roads.
In case of Saalbach (my favourite place), you may also expect kids from Germany too.
In addition to all, all the schools nationwide have spring break around Easter.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For 2005 it was ....

B=Burgenland
K=Kärnten
N=Niederösterreich
O=Oberösterreich
S=Salzburg
St=Steiermark
T=Tirol
V=Vorarlberg
W=Wien.

1. N, W: 07-12 February
2. B, K, S, T, V: 14-19 February
3. O, ST: 21-26 February)

will try and find the actual dates for 2006 although I expect them to remain in the same order.

Most of the Austrian population is in 1. Most of the ski areas are in 2.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
In addition to all, all the schools nationwide have spring break around Easter
[/quote]

When is that exactly in 2006?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
In addition to all, all the schools nationwide have spring break around Easter

When is that exactly in 2006?[/quote]

http://www.familienhandbuch.de/cmain/f_Aktuelles/a_Schule/s_828.html

Easter Friday = 14.04.
Easter Sunday = 16.04.

School holidays look to be Mon 10.4. - Fri 21.4.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB,

What area (of those you listed) does Schladming fall into?

Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Philip Prior wrote:
DB,

What area (of those you listed) does Schladming fall into?

Thanks

The Steiermark also know as "Styria"

http://www.bergfex.com/schladming-planai/

It's likely to be busy both of the first two weeks as it's further east (nearer Vienna & Lower Austria) than most of the other Austrian Ski resorts.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RISkier, the week commencing 26 February will be fine. I've skiied that week the last few years in Austria including Saalbach and queues etc weren't a problem. We're off to Saalbach for the same week next year!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks much! The week commencing 26 February seems like the week to plan for.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy